• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008 and BRIGHTHOUSE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh dear... Poor, poor BrightHouse...

They're going to have to really clean up their act now...

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

There's a few nuggets in there that BrightHouse AIN'T gonna like! :cool:

I suggest you give it a good read!

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

I like this bit, too...

Aggressive commercial practices

7.—(1) A commercial practice is aggressive if, in its factual context, taking account of all of its features and circumstances—

(a) it significantly impairs or is likely significantly to impair the average consumer’s freedom of choice or conduct in relation to the product concerned through the use of harassment, coercion or undue influence; and

(b) it thereby causes or is likely to cause him to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

(2) In determining whether a commercial practice uses harassment, coercion or undue influence account shall be taken of—

(a) its timing, location, nature or persistence;

(b) the use of threatening or abusive language or behaviour;

© the exploitation by the trader of any specific misfortune or circumstance of such gravity as to impair the consumer’s judgment, of which the trader is aware, to influence the consumer’s decision with regard to the product;

(d) any onerous or disproportionate non-contractual barrier imposed by the trader where a consumer wishes to exercise rights under the contract, including rights to terminate a contract or to switch to another product or another trader; and

(e) any threat to take any action which cannot legally be taken.

(3) In this regulation—

(a) “coercion” includes the use of physical force; and

(b) “undue influence” means exploiting a position of power in relation to the consumer so as to apply pressure, even without using or threatening to use physical force, in a way which significantly limits the consumer’s ability to make an informed decision.

I think an awful lot of this can be applied to the way BrightHouse sell Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover...

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Those are the bits I liked :) These are the bits of schedule 1 I liked

10. Presenting rights given to consumers in law as a distinctive feature of the trader’s offer.

25. Conducting personal visits to the consumer’s home ignoring the consumer’s request to leave or not to return, except in circumstances and to the extent justified to enforce a contractual obligation.

26. Making persistent and unwanted solicitations by telephone, fax, e-mail or other remote media except in circumstances and to the extent justified to enforce a contractual obligation.

27. Requiring a consumer who wishes to claim on an insurance policy to produce documents which could not reasonably be considered relevant as to whether the claim was valid, or failing systematically to respond to pertinent correspondence, in order to dissuade a consumer from exercising his contractual rights.

• 1 month later...

Just on reading Lefty's post, please do be careful when interpreting these regulations.

regulation 7 refers to context and all relevant circumstances. Paragraph one is double limbed. It is not merely that the consumer would make a transactional decision, but also that they have been harassed or coerced into making that decision (para 1(a)). And even deciding that, the circumstances include, location and timing and use of threatening behaviour.

If one is in a shop and a good sales patter is being given, it is unlikely that this will fall within the meaning of the legislation. It is more likely to refer to doorstep selling or a mock auction.

Now I am not defending Brighthouse here. But it seems, with respect, that CAG has placed so much emphasis on these new regulations that they are seen as a miracle cure to consumer ills. They are not.

Asides not doing much than was available already (except bits sch. 1), it is the ability to enforce the regulations that determines its effectiveness. And remember that these regs are for enforcement use - not for civil contract disputes as, e.g, SoGA is. the fact that an offence has been committed does not necessitate the contract being voidable.

we had a problem with brighthouse and their so called optional service cover when buying a washer from them, which we told them we did not want on at least 5 occasions, to which their rply was we will remove the said cover ? Mmmm. I saved every payment slip, and wrote down every transaction, when we reached the ammount that we had signed and agreed to pay for the washer(without the extra cover) we walked into brighthouse and made our final payment, to which they replied " but you still owe Z number of pounds, we explained that we had paid for the washer and that the money they were now asking for was the optional cover that we didn't want. I showed all my receipts, to which they were not too happy about, they then dissapeared into the back office and to our amazement they found the supposedly original contract which had a brand new tick darker than all the rest stating that we wanted extra cover. We left the shop and wrote a strong letter to brighthouse, sent with copies of all the slips and the contract , HA HA ! not heard anything since dont let brighthouse bully you which is what they seem to do to all their customers.

Report it. I insisted on a new contract for my mobile phone from P4U. They printed one off stating I had elected for insurance. A request to remove resulted in "oh its ok, we know - we just wont charge you" (yeah right). several protests ended in the production of paper specifically stating taht I did not want insurance, followed by a letter to head office and trading standards.

• 3 months later...
I suggest that you start your own thread to get a better response.

In the right section too ;)

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I took out a tv with bright house last year I make all my payments on time yet they start hounding me five days proir to the payment date and they dont just call me they have rung my mum hundredsof times even though I told them not to ,my mum has severe ms which I told them and they still rung sometimes as early as 7 oclock in the morning they pester me constantly and are aggressive in manner and tone ,I had aphone call today as i answerd it someone was screaming down the phone at me saying that they had been calling me 24/7 and that i was ignoring there calls which i wasnt he told me that i constantly have excuses which is untrue and that if i didnt pay by tomorrow at 12 they were sending round the baliffs in the afternoon even more so he was ringing from his own mobile phone so my number would have been on his phone as he left the store i feel betrayed by brighthouse and need help i want all of the money i have paid till know back as i dont trust the company.

first of all calm down , they cant send balliffs , only a member of there staff, you can tell them to leave and if they dont call the police

have asked one of the members that know a lot about them to come on the thread for you "Clemma"

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

I took out a tv with bright house last year I make all my payments on time yet they start hounding me five days proir to the payment date and they dont just call me they have rung my mum hundredsof times even though I told them not to ,my mum has severe ms which I told them and they still rung sometimes as early as 7 oclock in the morning they pester me constantly and are aggressive in manner and tone ,I had aphone call today as i answerd it someone was screaming down the phone at me saying that they had been calling me 24/7 and that i was ignoring there calls which i wasnt he told me that i constantly have excuses which is untrue and that if i didnt pay by tomorrow at 12 they were sending round the baliffs in the afternoon even more so he was ringing from his own mobile phone so my number would have been on his phone as he left the store i feel betrayed by brighthouse and need help i want all of the money i have paid till know back as i dont trust the company.

You really need to start you own thread about this - but for now, let me reassure you that Brighthouse have NO rights to enter your home without a court order. I am going to need a little more information - how long have you had your goods etc., etc.

As for the phone calls, send them the following letter, by recorded delivery ASAP. You can also include the one about home visits as well. As soon as you start your own thread, send me a PM and I WILL come onto it and give you all the advice you need.

Letters:

-HARASSMENT WARNING-

WARNING;PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997;

WARNING; COMMUNICATIONS ACT 2003, S127.

TELEPHONE NUMBER

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls.

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

AND

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

Your local paperboy has more rights to be on your property than the goons from Brighthouse. If they turn up, keep a copy of this letter by the door, give it to them, then slam the door on them (using whatever words you feel appropriate). If they still will not leave, then call the police (not 999) and ask them to attend as you are being threatened and intimidated. They will take you seriously.

Ok, as for bailiffs - as kiptower stated, they are just store staff. Only a court can send bailiffs. Before that can happen Brighthouse have to obtain a CCJ against you, which you then fail to pay. HOWEVER, Brighthouse NEVER take anyone to court - I know of no cases. If they phone, hang up - if they persist, then you continue to hang up. DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM - as you can tell, the bully, intimidate and threaten you. Everything they say is rubbish - you must now do EVERYTHING in writing!

As for why you are making no payments - put this to them in writing too (also to Head Office) explaining the situation.

Hope some of this helps - if you need more advice, then like I said, start a new thread - HERE and send me a private message. Please, please remain calm.

Oh, and as for getting your money back - this won't happen. You have entered a Hire Purchase agreement, and the money you have paid so far has been for the hire of the goods.

• 2 years later...

If this is not in the right place can it be moved? im not sure how to make a new thread?

i currently have several items with brighthouse with a weekly payment of£32 i recently got into arreas with them currently 6 weeks behind i have had the goods for around a year some of the items 2 years i would like to know where i stand, sometime ago not sure exactly how long ago roughly 9-12 months i renewed the contracts as i got into arreas before i was not told at the time of signing the agreements that the other ones i signed would become void ( 1/3payment protection and other things) i stupidly thought they were just helping me out, also i did not recieve copies of the new agreements but i still have copies of the old ones.i am not out to just not pay them at all i just cant afford to catch up on the arreas owed but if i offer to pay anything that is part payment they wont accept it also i get charged again if i only make a part payment i owe around £180 and i have £100 sat here that i can give them that they wont accept saying they will only take full payment of the arreas owed, i just cant afford this yet at least not for another few weeks until all my money has been sorted (partner was laid off) they are constantly ringing me and knocking at the door and im finding myself hiding in, i do not know what else to do, the men they send round are always rude and pushy asking to come in, i also had to have ago at them because they were discussing my account with my partner are they allowed to do this? i just need to know what right i have as a customer

thanks in advance :)

• 4 weeks later...