• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PCN - simply mean - any advise

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5816 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I am new so please be gentle.

I recently parked in a Council pay and display. The charges were £1 for 1 hr, £2 for 2, £3 for 3 or £7 for 24. Having only £4 in change we chose the £3 trusting that the show we were going to see would end in time. As it happened I was 10 minutes over the time limit and had the dreaded yellow and black sticky on my car.

The PCN is text book perfect so I wrote to them anyway, hoping to appeal to their human side. They rejected my cry.

How can they charge £25 for what was in effect a £4 mistake? I wouldn't mind but the car park was empty when I got back, so it's not like they were loosing revenue!

Whats my next step? do I wait for the NTO? and try to appeal again? or do I grin and bear it and give them their £25.

I am a fighter - especially when I think things are unfair, but I also know when to pick my fights and as much as it hurts............I will give in if I don't have a leg to stand on.:rolleyes:

Life is fickle; the fair man doesn't invariably win. Mark Hodder, The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne in), 2010

Hello badbunny & welcome,

I am no expert, but my mother in law had a ticket issued, being just a few minutes late and she complained to the council, stating that she would not visit the city again, she got a refund. Also recently somebody else I know had a ticket issued in a non paying car park, she also complained and asked for evidence and her cheque was returned.

I think its worth complaining.

Hope this helps!

Hello

I am new so please be gentle.

I recently parked in a Council pay and display. The charges were £1 for 1 hr, £2 for 2, £3 for 3 or £7 for 24. Having only £4 in change we chose the £3 trusting that the show we were going to see would end in time. As it happened I was 10 minutes over the time limit and had the dreaded yellow and black sticky on my car.

The PCN is text book perfect so I wrote to them anyway, hoping to appeal to their human side. They rejected my cry.

How can they charge £25 for what was in effect a £4 mistake? I wouldn't mind but the car park was empty when I got back, so it's not like they were loosing revenue!

Whats my next step? do I wait for the NTO? and try to appeal again? or do I grin and bear it and give them their £25.

I am a fighter - especially when I think things are unfair, but I also know when to pick my fights and as much as it hurts............I will give in if I don't have a leg to stand on.:rolleyes:

you could write back and ask for calibration and maintenance records for that particular machine just to make sure it was running correctly.

Under the rta 1984 they must keep records of this.

You could also go for a discretionary cancellation

probably means Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

In which case, yes. Under S.46(3) they must keep records. However, that section on allows the LA to determine for itself the frequency and scope of inspection. Every 20 years would comply with the Act - though obviously not natural justice.

RTRA 1984 S.46(3)

3) Where provision is made for the use of parking meters it shall be the duty of the local authority to take such steps as appear to them to be appropriate for the periodical inspection of the meters and for dealing with any found to be out of order; for securing the testing of the meters, both before they are brought into force and afterwards; and for recording the date on which, and the person by whom, a meter has been tested.

You will note that the only requirement for records to be kept is for the data and name of the person. Repairs and test results are not required to be kept.

In which case, yes. Under S.46(3) they must keep records. However, that section on allows the LA to determine for itself the frequency and scope of inspection. Every 20 years would comply with the Act - though obviously not natural justice.

RTRA 1984 S.46(3)

You will note that the only requirement for records to be kept is for the data and name of the person. Repairs and test results are not required to be kept.

so if it has been reported as out of order, then recorded as inspected and by whom once a week then on balance this machine is known to be faulty, yes

so if it has been reported as out of order, then recorded as inspected and by whom once a week then on balance this machine is known to be faulty, yes

Seemed to be working well enough to buy a ticket on this occasion so hardly seems relevant. Even if the machine had broken down every day for the last 10 years as long as it was working when the driver parked and checked at time of PCN issue its reliability record would be meaningless.

Seemed to be working well enough to buy a ticket on this occasion so hardly seems relevant. Even if the machine had broken down every day for the last 10 years as long as it was working when the driver parked and checked at time of PCN issue its reliability record would be meaningless.

so for arguments sake you buys your ticket, plonked it in your car in a hurry.You then come back and find you have a ticket.

You then check the time and find the machine is running fast.

You makes your request to the LA and find that in the last ten years it has been recorded as being attended to 3,600 odd times

Would you pay up or appeal?

so for arguments sake you buys your ticket, plonked it in your car in a hurry.You then come back and find you have a ticket.

You then check the time and find the machine is running fast.

You makes your request to the LA and find that in the last ten years it has been recorded as being attended to 3,600 odd times

Would you pay up or appeal?

I would have checked the time on the ticket before leaving the car :-D

I'd make sure I came back at the time on the ticket.

Badbunny take some pics of the Condition of Use sign at the car park entrance and also check if there are repeater signs which inform you that you will receive a PCN if you cause one of the contraventions listed, don't bother about signage near pay and display machines as anyone who has a disabled Badge would not normally visit a P&D machine unless all the disabled bays were full, I know you are not disabled but that would be the excuse you would use if you were, you must be informed of all the contraventions which can be made in the car park, we are not supposed to just take it for granted that you will get a PCN if you cause one, because what would happen if you were a visitor from another Town or Country and not know about contraventions.

Greeny and Meany please do not come up with childish replies. Badbunny wants advice not folk acting like kids.

Edited by adampaddam