• Tweets

• ah - here it is - .. Yesterday UK finance minister: Thames Water must sort out its own issues "I make no comment on Thames because they need to sort out their own issues," Hunt told reporters during a visit to Washington when asked what a government-led administration process for Thames Water could do for investors' confidence in Britain. "What we're never going to do for people who invest in the UK, is say that the state is going to insure you against bad decisions made by management or shareholders. That's what markets are about."   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM       So was the chancellor not informed of this massive encompassing plan ..  or was he lying/misleading Today: Thames Water nationalisation plan could move bulk of £15bn debt to state   Thames Water nationalisation plan could move bulk of £15bn debt to state | Thames Water | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Exclusive: Under Whitehall blueprint for water company some lenders could lose up to 40% of their money  
    • Hi everyone, appreciate your help in this. Today (18/04/2024) I received a "Parking charge - Keeper liability notice for Royale Leisure Park - W3" stating that I "parked without clearly displaying a valid PCM UK Ltd permit. The car was parked on the 8th of March 2024 at the car park for Park Royal Leisure Park in London. The letter stated that a notice to keep was sent 28 days ago, but I have not received any charge letter or ticket.  I don't know what permit they are talking about. The leisure park does not have tickets, it has free parking for 5 hours- this is clearly stated on their website. Furthermore, I think the Parking Charge is invalid because, on March 8th, I was a customer at Royale Leisure Park, where I attended to watch a movie at the Odeon Cinema. I can prove my purchase of the ticket. The Royal Leisure Park has free parking for 5 hours as stated on their website (see attached screenshot), so they should not have given me the charge in the first place. Should I contact them to state that I should not have been given a charge? I'm concerned about the charge rising if I don't contact them.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you. PCn park royal .pdf parking rules park royal.pdf
    • Hi dx It's with Step Change. Yes that is the balance outstanding plus interest.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My Claim Against Yorkshire Bank **SETTLED IN FULL**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

My question is, is there anything else I could do apart from claim back all the charges to make these people see the 3 months of hell they put me & my family through? Damages would be great but an apology & guaranteed action against “evil woman” would be preferable.

Many thanks,

Trunny

**Post edited on 19 March to remove any identifying info incase banks are watching.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing I'm afraid. Just start toting up the charges, put the letters in and begin your claim.

get the money then forget about YB but remember it all with your next bank because they are all the same.

Just telephoned the bank to ensure they received my DPA request & evil woman wouldn't speak to me, she had one of her colleagues take the call & act as middleman passing on what I said & vice versa. I can only assume by this play-ground behaviour that my ranting phone call to her manager a few weeks ago must have resulted in some action.

I overheard her tell the colleague to instruct me that I would have to pay £5 per statement but they soon backed down & agreed £10 when I quoted the DPA.

So, in conclusion, a letter will be sent to me tonight requesting the £10 & making me aware that they have 40 days to comply. I shall, of course, be hand delivering my reply comprising of £10 & a letter thanking them for informing me they have 40 days & that the 40 days actually started ticking away the day they received my initial request :wink:

Hi All,

Could I ask a bit of advice please, it’s loosely regarding my claim against Yorkshire bank (just waiting for missing statements from them).

When YB closed our account there was an overdraft, I paid off all but £300 on the day that they kindly (pah) let me have our money. I am now in a stranglehold with their collections dept. For anyone who hasn’t had any dealings with these people they are pretty nasty & won’t budge. Fair do’s I could just pay it straight back, however, as it appears we’ll be claiming £4,999.99 of these highway robbers I begrudge doing so.

I phoned them the other day & told them I was intending to claim money back off the bank and the debt owed entirely consisted of part of the money owed to me but as a gesture of goodwill I would pay them £50 via debit card over the phone…. Incidentally, they’ve actually taken £60! I was then instructed that if I don’t call back & clear the debt by the end of this month I will have to give them an entire statement of means so THEY can decide how much I should pay. Do I have to do this? My blood is boiling at the thought of either having to give these complete strangers my entire financial incomings & outgoings or be forced to hand over yet more cash.

The Yorkshire Bank Collections Department are actually a professional debt recovery company who are part of Jeremy Sutcliffe Solicitors in Leeds (although they never tell you that over the phone). When I pressed them about this they insisted that they have not bought the debt from Yorkshire Bank they are merely pursuing it on their behalf, but of course, as they’re not part of the bank they don’t have access to any information & can’t make any decisions. How convenient.

I don’t have any problems asserting myself over the phone but I just don’t have a clue how to approach this one. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Trunny

You absolutely DO NOT have to give them all of this information. You should only do so if you are intending to pay them back and need to do so in instalments. Given that their claim against you is going to be swamped by your claim against them why should you be making arrangements to pay?

I would drop them a note spefically forbidding them from making any further charges to your debit card. These sorts of organisations have a habit of mis-using these things.

One more thing, if they have said in writing that they can force you to make a financial disclosure without taking you to court first, I would send a copy with a letter of complaint to your local Trading Standards.

Thanks Seminole. They haven’t said this in writing, just on the phone, as they most probably know full well they can’t force people to give that sort of info. They were, however, insistent that they have every right to demand this information before a payment plan would be approved. I think I’ll stick well & truly to letters only from now on with these people. They do have my phone number but I’ll make it clear on the letter I’m going to write that I will not, under any circumstance enter into any discussions over the telephone with them & will regard any attempts to contact me by phone as a breach of the 'Protection from Harassment Act 1997' (thank you police officer brother for that one).

Here's what I've drafted, couldn't resist putting the bit about trading standards in (just in case the case goes to court):

*Post edited on 19 March to remove any identifying info incase banks are watching.

Yes, you're right. I was trying to play down any confrontation but I’m really not asking for anything other than I’m entitled to. I’ll change the “request”’s, get the grammar & typo’s sorted out then nip straight to the post box with it. Thanks v much for your help Seminole.

Too right, it's going special delivery, don't trust these clowns one bit.

On Mon 13 March I instructed Yorkshire Bank collections to take a one off £50 goodwill payment from my debit card (new bank account with different bank). The actually took £60. On 20 March they took another £50 using the same debit card. I had not authorised this & they had not informed me they were going to do this.

On 22 March they would have received a special delivery letter explaining funds are in dispute so I wouldn’t enter into a repayment agreement with them at this time & also expressly forbidding them from using the debit card details they obviously hold on file for taking any more money.

My questions are:

1. Is it theft to take money from someone’s bank account without permission and without informing them? My guess is yes but I’m having difficulty confirming this.

2. I am about to write another letter to them regarding this extra £50. Am I within my rights to claim an extra £10 for my time & the £3.70 it will cost for the registered delivery?

3. Anyone got any good quotes I can put in the letter? So far I’m going to quote the banking code re letting you know before charging you & not chasing monies in dispute.

Thanks,

Trunny

1. Is it theft to take money from someone’s bank account without permission and without informing them? My guess is yes but I’m having difficulty confirming this.
No. You have to prove dishonesty

2. I am about to write another letter to them regarding this extra £50. Am I within my rights to claim an extra £10 for my time & the £3.70 it will cost for the registered delivery?
If you are in the right as to it being yours, then Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, my first post and I'll probably get lynched!!! A few years ago I worked in the YB Collections Department, it isn't owned by Jeremy Sutcliffe Solicitors, it is in fact the other way round, Jeremy Sutcliffe is YB collection's in house solicitor (he's quite a pleasant bloke actually!!) and a way for them to save money on outsourcing.

When you have spoken to them on the telephone have you called them or them you? The outbound staff tend to be much more "scripted" and pushy, whereas the inbound staff are more likely to be helpful. It is their job to get you to repay the debt in a manageable way, and beleive me you would be totally amazed at what they will accept as long as you can back it up with a financial statement. Unfortunately their system does not allow them to "hold" accounts without a payment plan, no matter how small the payment is. I appreciate that the balance relates to charges, and this is something they will have dealt with before, if I remember rightly the staff in collections cannot refund charges applied in branch, so will not be able to help you directly with that.

Personally I would call them and be as nice as possible to the person you speak to (they are much more willing to help if you don't get cross with them) The fact that you previously made a payment to them will stand you in good stead. Explain your situation and make a very small offer of payment while you resolve the issue. (By the way they don't usually ask for any proof of your income expenditure as it's too time consuming, so you could tell them anything!!!) That way you keep them off your back and you can concentrate your efforts on getting the issue solved rather than having the added hassle of them ringing you and sending you letters (which they'll charge for!!!).

Good Luck!

Lou x

Yorkshire Bank

MBNA

First Direct

Hi Lou & welcome :-)

Thanks so much for the info, it'll come in really handy.

I've had a letter back from them saying they've suspended all collection activities but they're searing blind they've only collected £50 from my account. However, my bank statement clearly states £60 to Jeremy Sutcliffe Leeds & another £50 to Yorkshire Bank Collections, so in total they've actually now had £110 (instead of the permitted £50). It worries me that the £60 seems to have been lost in their system altogther.

I always rang them in the past, I never wait for anyone who wants something to ring me as it gives them too much opportunity to prepare lol.

Thanks again,

Trunny

Hi Trunny,

That's one step in the right direction, soiunds like they have escalated it to another dept. I am surprised about the switch pmt, obviously procedures have psobably changed since I was there, but we never kept peoples switch details, they were destroyed as soon as we had processed payment. The Collections Centre and JS & Co deal with closed current accounts, visa cards which are overlimit or behind with payment, and loans which are behind, you don't have more than one thing with them do you? I would ring them and speak to a manager, get a name and send them a copy of your statement and ask them to investigate it for you. If I can help at all let me know, Lou x

Lou x

Yorkshire Bank

MBNA

First Direct

Hi Lou,

No, just the closed current account so the £60 can't be for anything else. I've read them the riot act about telephoning me so I'll write to them with a copy of the statement (everything but the payments blacked out) & see what they have to say for themselves. The matter has been passed on to their customer relations dept & I think they must have called off the collections dept so I'll write directly to them as they seem to have some clout.

Thanks again for your help,

Trunny

Data Protection Act reminder letter sent, 40 days is up 1 May.

Re collections centre. Letter sent to resolution centre with copy of bank statement showing the extra payments they collected without authority (rest of info blacked out) & paragraph fobidding them from collecting anymore via my debit card (as instructed by my bank). Also stating again that it would be a violation of banking code for them to resume collection activities while funds are in dispute.

Well, I've got a response, but it's a load of rubbish. I have arround 70 sheets of A4 paper, some are just blank & some have info like "direct debit ammendments", "acrual group", "insurance placement" etc. Seems they have sent me everything EXCEPT what I asked for, which was "Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges" and in the 2nd letter "May I remind you that the list of my financial transactions......"

I've spoken to a lady called Aileen in Network Support & she's agreed this info isn't what I asked for & is looking into it for me, supposedly getting back to me later today.

The now only have 10 days left to furnish me with the info I requested.

Spoke to Network Support, they said they weren't sure what info I was requesting (likely story) & she is going to order my statements now. They should be here within a few days.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks