• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBOS won't let me close account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had previously claimed bank charges from RBOS and had warned them if they tried to continue to enforce charges on me I would leave and go with another bank.

They did apply a charge for being over my overdraft limit for 1 day and at first refused to refund this.

At this point I opened another bank account and asked them to transfer all my direct debits from the RBOS account to new account then close my RBOS account through their switching service.

This seemed to be completed but when the following months payments came out I noticed that my RBOS Loan direct debit was still coming out my RBOS account which I assumed had been closed.

On contacting the bank, they have told me that as I took out the loan as a RBS customer they cannot transfer the direct debit as it must come out an RBS account.

Is this correct?

Also, I had a Royalties Gold account which costs £12 a month which when I visited the bank about 8 years ago I was told I would need to have credit facilities. But it turns out there is a free account which would have given me the same. I beleive i was mis sold this account. Is there any experience of claiming back service charges under this circumstance

Thanks

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

I am no expert so no too sure if this advice is valid, why not cancel the diret debit, and set it up in your new acount, then write to your bank closing the acount.

Regards

Andy

Hi,

Because the loan is with RBOS they will not let me cancel the direct debit. I have tried phoning and going to my branch in person to cancel but they refuse to do so.

They say that as the bank account was already opened when the loan was taken out they cannot cancel the direct debit and refuse to let me set up the direct debit elsewhere.

That sounds wrong, its you as a customer who dictates where you want your banking facility and not the other way around.

Though reckon you'll have to get in touch with the FOS to sort this out.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Hi Eubo

Do you have internet access to the account?. You should be able to cancel it from there.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

It would appear that under the DD guarantee you CAN stop the direct debit. This might help.

Direct Debit help centre - cancellation failed

Regarding reclaiming the £12 a month charge, I certainly think it's worth a shot. My OH was mis-sold an account with Lloyds, which we've queried with them but they did not roll over at the first attempt, and Barclays have done the same kind of thing I believe. It's certainly worth trying. Might be worth doing a SAR to see if there is anything on your file about this.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Oh my God.They are doing the exact same thing to me! I had a loan with them (one which they pretty much made me take to pay of an overdraft) After being charged AGAIN, I refused to pay it and opened another account, phonned and cancelled all me direct debits and asked them to close my account and sent a letter to the same effect.

Then after being charged for being overdrawn and a bounced DD for the loan I was phoned by them and told I had to have my DD for the loan taken out of that account. That account is now hugely overdrawn with the same unpaid DD and unautharised overdraft charges and I have no way of paying it off!

• 1 month later...

They have said the same to me. Some years ago, I manually moved all my DD to IF from crappy RBS. I did it manually so I could control when payments were moved to IF (there was a reason at the time).

I phoned RBS up and asked them to move the DD for a loan with them to IF, and the plebe who dealt with me said that the deed had been done, and the DD would be transferred to IF.

It wasn't.

A few months down the line, I find out that I had missed loan payments, and had been charged for missed loan payments. I sorted the mess out, and successfully reclaimed my charges before the stay, so we ended up being OK on that front.

However, the DD remained on my RBS account, and they wouldn't move it. Due to timings of salaries, BACS clearance times and DD dates (which for some unkown reason, they refuse to move), I have to manually transfer money each month over the counter, which is a major ball ache, especially where holidays are concerned.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I have E-Mailed this specific request to BACS, to see if they are allowed to do this. Will let you know what happens when i receive a reply.

RBS Account 1: Won

RBS Account 2: Won

Capital One: Won

Capital One (Wifes Card): Won

RBS Account 2, round 2: Won

RBS PPI: Won

They cannot by law refuse your request to close your account IF it was/is in credit, they can only refuse if its in an overdraft situation ...even if that is the case.... you clear the overdraft and instruct them to transfer your account to your new bank direct debits the lot no matter who they are payable to..... put it in writing hand it in at your local branch take a copy and get the manager to sign receipt of it.

If they do not close your account then you are not liable for the non payment of your monthly loan payments.

If they then carry on debiting your account they refused to close and put it overdrawn again that is completely their responsibility.....that is an absolute fact

The RBS are abusing their position and forcing you to bank with them.

I would put your complaint to the FOS and make the FSA aware of their actions.....you do not have to be an RBS customer to have an RBS loan if this had any viability it would mean that you could not get any other product off any subsiduary of RBS for instance Insurance off Direct Line...their action is in effect "business blackmail" and you should emphasise this assertion to the FOS and the FSA,and the British Bankers Association (BBA)

sparkie

Edited by Sparkie1723