Wickes - injury from mirror

welshcakes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Just a quick opener as I am unfamiliar with Consumer Law and reasonable expectation for compensation.

Purchased a swivel mirror from Wickes Store last month. Installed it and next day when angling mirror it sjattered unde finger of left hand and shard of mirror glass split top of finger.

Stemmed blood flow, removed sliver from finger and dressed injury (only a half inch cut).

I wrote to Wickes requesting 3 things:

The product line be tested to ensure fit for purpose and withdrawn if not;

Reasonable recompense for injury (photographs offered);

A ful refund.

I advised Trading Standards in my home town but they wrote back immediately stating nothing to do with them and I should contact Consumer Direct.

Wickes have now written back with profuse apologies and telling me to take the mirror back to store of purchase for a refund.

What do you all feel about this. Do you think Wickes are addressing this reasonably by simply offering a refund? I'm sure if the mirror had broken when one of the children were using it, we would have beenin A&E with a severed finger.

It just seems to me that Wickes, like so many companies with an obligation to supply safe products, thinks that a one page letter saying sorry is the end of it. My consumer head is really quite disgruntled about this apparent apathy.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Did you go to accident and emergency? did you have a tetnus shot? have you a doctors report? did the injury keep you off work?

You will get nowhere for a little cut in the finger without them.

An apology and a refund will be all that is required.

Hi both

Differing opinions which is always good to hear. I believe that the design is flawed and as such poses risk of injury whilst in normal use. Wickes state that they are a supplier to the DIY consumer, not just the trade so IMHO their products should be designed to be installed and used by the ordinary man in the street.

I will retain photos of the faulty product and make a follow up enquiry in a month to see whether Wickes has investigated the item's satisfaction as 'fit for purpose'.

With regard to treatment Conniff, I am ex medical staff and was able to self treat and my tetanus is up to date so not required.

My main concern is that this product which is designed to be swivelled by direct pressure on the mirror panel, and is specifically for the domestic market, could potentially cause very serious injury to the consumer; hence I am anxious for accountability.

Thank you for your responses.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

• 9 years later...

DIY Personal Injury

I was injured at home by the operativ of my landlord in September 2015

I got a solicitor involved but poorly handled my case and did not progress it

I want to start this claim myself

I am not sure if my preliminary letter before action should go to

My Landlord

or

My landlord, The Operatives contractors

For neglect

My Injury is on public record i.e my GP and Hospital