• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

NEWS RELEASE FROM BOB EGERTON (BOB THE BANKBUSTER)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 11 January 2008

OFT/BANKS TEST CASE TO BE HELD IN SMALL ROOM - OFT SPOKESMAN "DID NOT REALISE" ROOM ONLY BIG ENOUGH FOR 6 MEMBERS OF PUBLIC

Next Wednesday 16 January, the OFT and Britain's high street banks are due to meet in a High Court battle which will decide whether or not the banks are operating an unlawful charging regime. The case is of great public interest as it could result in the banks having to repay £20 billion or more to about 10 million customers. It has now been revealed that the case will be heard in a room at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in Fleet Street and that there will be space for precisely 11 members of the press and the public. A spokesperson for the centre said that entry will be on a first come first served basis but that the space will be divided roughly equally between the press and the public; and passes will be issued separately for morning and afternoon sessions. This means that, at most, 6 members of the public will be able to attend and no-one will be able to attend a full day. It will be impossible, therefore, for any one person to obtain a complete picture of the proceedings. It will also mean that many newspaper and television/radio reporters will excluded.

A spokesperson for the OFT claimed today that he "did not realise that the room would only hold this number of people".

Bob Egerton, bank charges campaigner, said, "This case is a great embarrassment to the OFT. It has exposed the institutional weakness within the OFT where it is effective at curbing unlawful behaviour by small businesses, but it does not have the stomach for a fight against the big corporations like the banks. By holding the case in such a small room, no member of the public will be able to sit through the whole case; and much of Britain's media will be excluded. The OFT is no doubt hoping that the case will receive little press coverage and that it will all quietly fizzle out. However, I and the many other campaigners will ensure that this issue does not die. We will continue to fight the banks over this issue whatever the outcome of a meeting in a tiny room in London."

Rob Williamson, leader of the case team at the OFT

International Dispute Resolution Centre, who can confirm the details of the room, 020 7936 7000

IDRC - Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Mediation & Conferencing Facilities

More news and proposed action to follow!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In order to bring to the attetion on the media about the unfairness of having limited space for public and press, Penfold has come up with an e-mail which needs to be sent by as many people to the press.

Newspaper contact emails:

The Times - [email protected]

Sky - [email protected]

The Sun - [email protected]

The Mirror - [email protected]

The Telegraph - [email protected]

Not sure that is right, but it is a correct email anyway…

The People - [email protected]

ITV - [email protected]

Something on the BBC website: BBC NEWS | Business | Key test for bank overdraft fees

Watchdog - [email protected]

That’s a start others can add on this thread…Do we want to do this straight away or wait until the Petition is online???

Prabs (Penfold)

something like tjhis should be easy enough for everyone to send off...

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like you to be aware of something that came to my attention yesterday that gives me great concern. It has come to my attention that even though this Court case was due to be heard at the High Court it is in fact being held at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in Fleet Street and that there will be space for precisely 11 members of the press and the public. A spokesperson for the centre said that entry will be on a first come first served basis but that the space will be divided roughly equally between the press and the public; and passes will be issued separately for morning and afternoon sessions. This means that, at most, 6 members of the public will be able to attend and no-one will be able to attend a full day. It will be impossible, therefore, for any one person to obtain a complete picture of the proceedings. It will also mean that many newspaper and television/radio reporters will excluded.

A spokesperson for the OFT claimed today that he "did not realise that the room would only hold this number of people".

As a Press Member with National Reach I hope you will investigate this matter further and publish your findings? It is important that we all ensure Justice will prevail. Since no one person or the media will get the full picture, will the public's interest will be upheld? Surely you appreciate that this matter concerns the majority of people in this Country and is a National Issue. There will be others emailing to express their concerns as we are all concerned that this could be construed as almost behind “closed doors” and therefore potentially not in the interest of the General Public.

Yours faithfully,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

I think if the press read sites like Penalty Charges which is Stephen Hone's site they would have been aware of the change in venue on THURSDAY when he posted it on his site. Do you not visit other sites for information?

I cant believe they actually expect us to believe they did not know where this case was going to be held until the very last minute and also stating that not one person of the public or press will be able to verify the true picture of events from beginning to end due to the size of the room.

I believe this a stitch up! The banks have no intention of revealing anything and I for one dont believe the outcome is not going to be for good of the customers who have lost £££'s but for the good of the banks and institutions and alike.

What can I say, the ombudsman put out a "stay" on all cases when they could have should been heard and now we are not even going to get the true picture of events!!

We as a customer could have and should have had our chances in court and the banks should have been made to reveal their true costs incurred,

that this matter would have been resolved after all not one of the banks intended to argue their case and now they are behind closed doors with limited reporting details of the case.

Oh my how they are all rubbing their hands with glee!!!!!

Ladidi

Im surprised that anyboby is actually surprised.

Money talks at every level.

And with this cartel standing to lose so much, just lift up the edge of your carpet.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Thanks guys, I have just sent all mine off to the above newspaper links. If I think of anymore I will copy them in too. Fingers crossed something will happen in our favour.

28-05-2007--Received Schedule of Charges.

03-06-2007--Prelim sent.

12-06-2007--Reply - Thanks but charges lawful!

19-06-2007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

NOTHING RECEIVED AFTER 14 DAYS

05-07-2007--Phoned Halifax to discuss account. Still standing by charges.

13-07-2007--Filed N1 in Hull Court :wink:

20-07-2007--Halifax deemed served.

25-07-2007--Received offer £280 as Full and Final settlement.

27-07-2007--Sent rejection letter recorded delivery

03-08-2007--Rang Hull Court, nothing received from Halifax

04-08-2007--Sent Pre Judgement letter.

10-08-2007--Defence received from Halifax

13-08-2007--Judgement Request sent

24-08-2007--Claim stayed at Hull Court

31-08-2007--Applied for stay to be lifted

12-10-2007--Hearing for removal of stay on 31/10

31-10-2007--Removal of Stay struck out

I would have thought that with the money that is involved in this case they could have used Wembley Stadium instead of a little room holding just 11 people at the I.D.R.C.........SELV....;)

with the money that is involved in this case

Thats the very reason that they have wangled this.

They REALLY dont want to go public.

Its an absolute disgrace, but not one that surprises me.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Emails have gone to everyone of those bar the Sun.

Thanks for the template and all of the addresses, hopefully it'll make a few people think about looking into it.

Cheers,

KA

Prelim letter received by Barclays: 26/03/07

**************no reply***************

LBA received by Barclays: 10/04/07

**************no reply***************

N1 filed at court: 25/04/07

N1 received by Barclays: 04/05/07

Offer of £1,885.00: 04/05/07 (turned down)

Offer rejection received by B'clays: 08/05/07

Barclays Acknowledge Claim: 11/05/07

Barclays Defence Filed: 18/05/07

Directions Hearing Date Set: 06/08/07

Case Stayed Until Feb '08

missed most of it but apparently Martin Lewis was doing a good job of bringing this to everyones attention ( well those who listen to radio two) by quite rightly having a good rant and rave about this :)

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

The Office of Fair Trading: OFT test case delayed

OH, What a surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have spent an estimated £1million each in preperation for this case.

Nothing like forward planning then.....

The trial Judge for the test case cannot be expected to force a jury into returning a verdict JUST because there is an OFT test case, that he has been given to handle, can he?

Jury ?

This will all be concluded by men with a funny handshake.

Hi Does anyone have any idea how the case is going?

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

OFT test case delayed

7/08 15 January 2008

The OFT's test case on unauthorised bank default charges has been delayed.

The case was due to begin tomorrow at the International Dispute Resolution Centre, but has now been postponed due to the Judge's prior commitments running over. It is hoped that the case will start before the end of the week.

(hmmmmmmm I just found that press release);)

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

the case is starting today at 10.30.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales