Council Tax Band Challenging Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some advice to challenge my Council Tax Band (Surrey Heath). I am currently in Band F and I am pretty convince that I should be in Band E as some of the properties around my area are in the same band for sometimes being 1.5 time bigger. That is why I decided to go to see the banding of my neighbours and although I notice that most them had the same band as me, one of the houses is in band E. This house is the same as the house of one of my neighbours who is in band F (I need to tell to challenge as well) and should be about the same value as mine since it has similar specification (1st reason to challenge).

In order to have better arguments, I decided to see the price of the properties and looking at it this one (the one in Band E) was bought £270 in June 04 whereas mine was bought £283 in June 06 (I also check the Nationwide caluculator and it gives my house in band E if I compare with the value in 1991) (2nd reason).

The possible reason of why the property is in the wrong band is the fact that the houses have been built in 1993 - 1994 so after the so called "official" valuation.

It seems that my case would be quite strong but as there is only one house amongst about 20 to be in band E, I am a bit worried that instead of decreasing the band of all the houses, the Council will increase the band of this house. Could you tell me if I should proceed the challenge and how please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1 month later...

i tried to question it as well all the odd numbers on my street are on a different band to the even numbers and have a slightly bigger garden i sent off a letter and got a reply stating that in there opinion it was right and that's the end off story no right of appeal or anything also said there houses back on to a school which is in fact on there side of the street but on the very end i prob get more noise etc from it because im opposite it

• 4 years later...
Hi my neighbours have had an extension but they are still in a lower band band than me. Council has informed that i can do it for free is this true?

Your better off starting your own thread as this one is more than 4 years old, click the link below

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=188

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi

My understanding is that the Valuation Office Agency, an arm of HMRC, offer a free service so worth giving it a shot. There is a right of further appeal to a tribunal but you need to exercise this right within 6 months of becoming liable to pay the Council Tax.

Edited by revshelp