• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

StokiePotter vs Capital One (Old Acc) ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well....

After receiving a visit the other day from Wescot Credit Services and then reading up on Unlawful Charges on C/Cards I'm looking at contacting Capital One to find out how they have come to the conclusion that I owe them monies, when the card only had a limit of £200 in the first place?

I took the card out in 2004 / 2003? and the nice people at Capital One only gave me a limit of £200 :wink: now I used it once or twice in emergencies and ended up missing 1 or 2 payments (when myself and my partner temp split). Obviously I received 1 or two letters and fastly cleared the arrears.

I then made a payment of £300 hoping that it had cleared any monies owed off the card and any charges that the nice chaps had charged me...

Let it lie and now a visit from a Collection Chap from out of the blue...

Now obviously i intend on hitting them on the rebound if I have paid monies that I could rightfully claim back, last thing I want is a default on my record if they are stating I owe them money for charges that they have unlawfully added.

The only details I have in regards to the account is an old expired card I found in my drawer, If I contacted them staing this number could they look into my account and send me the details I need to claim?

Regards,

SP

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Back again...

I requested my S.A.R. which I received back via recorded post on 15th May 2008, ands its all gobbledegook to me.... it has a vague breakdown of when withdrawals were made and numerous £20's going out of the account (charges I assume?!)

Now Ive woken the account, I have received a letter from "Capquest" offering me a discounted settlement of the account?!? (Ive got no intention of settling an account if they owe me :)) If I add these random £20's as listed on the statement it comes to near on £400?!?

Im a bit stuck now as it doesn't actually state "charges" the format is 3 columns which says "Transaction Date" (no breakdown of the transaction), "Paid In" and "Paid Out"?!?

steven,

Thanks for your help....

Please take a look at the images on this link...

Images - Windows Live SkyDrive

Thats what I received off Capital One in regards to the info I requested (plus a load of computer screen captures)

The first few months of having the card all was A-OK then I split with the girl I was with at the time then it all went a bit pear-shaped :smile:

Glad I dont have any cards or any O/drafts now, and if it wasnt for the chap knocking at the door I assumed all was cleared and sorted with Capital One :cool: "Obviously not!" :-x

Hello StokiePotter!

Just have no idea what are actual purchases etc, and which are charges etc....

Anybody have any ideas on how I'd find out?

I wrote this earlier, then walked off and forgot to Post it! I see Steven has jumped in to help.

I was going to say, if you have a Spreadsheet Application, it would be a good idea to enter all of the Transactions via Date and Amount.

Then see if the £20 Charges all fall on about the same Day per Month, as Card bankers tend to add Penalty Charges at around the same time every Month. Particularly Late Penalty Charges, as it will be added a few Days after the "Due Date", whatever that is for your Account.

Over-Limit Penalty Charges can vary, i.e. when you were using the Card you could've popped over Limit at varying times but usually they added them at the Statement Date. Accounts don't tend to go down unless something was Paid in. But if you were no longer using it, then even these should fall at around the same time.

I've now had a quick look at your Docs, and some seem to fit the above pattern, say:

08/11/2004 £20

08/11/2005 £20

10/06/2005 £20

11/11/2005 £20

But it is very hard to tell, as there are many other £20 debits littered around the place with no real Pattern.

You may need to go back and ask them what Charges they levied? They are a Business, so will have to have Business Accounts going back 6 Years. If they Charged you anything in the last 6 Years, they should have a Record of that.

What you spent is not the same...it's what they Charged YOU that matters, and they should have a Record of that, as it is their Earnings so accountable to HMRC.

Sorry this is not more helpful.

Cheers,

BRW

There will be 2 types of charges - charges for going over you credit limit and charges for late payment, possibly addded on different dates.

I think I might go one stage further than BRW and assume that any charge of £20 that was added when you credit limit was exceeded and any charge of £30 were unlawful charges (and that £50=£30+£20) and get them to prove they are not (I will probably get shouted at for saying that ;)) UNless of course, you actually know that you made purchaces of exactly £20 (petrol?) or £30. Presumably they will send you propper details if you have claimed too much.

Anybody be able to point me in the right direction for the template to add up the charges (with interest) ;)

Also do I put both £20's etc, down as just "Charges" or will one be a late payment fee and the other a card charge?!

Ideally, you would list what each charge is i.e. late payment, overlimit etc - but as they haven't told you what each charge is then there is no way you can do that so you would just have to list them as 'charges'.

Interest calculation spreadsheets here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Excellent...

Cheers for the pointers folks...

Can I just add, that this site is absolutely Spot On!!!

and another Stokie as a Mod "You cant go wrong ;)"

Done the spread sheet and it looks like I'm owed, with interest £458.00 ;) serves themself right for sending Mr Wescot round for £200 :)

"Bully Boy tactics DO NOT SCARE ME :)"

Now the next step is to send a letter with the spreadsheet? Correct?!? Will the letter have to mention that I want the "default" removed from my credit file also?!

Do I also need to contact Capquest to let them know to scrap their "reminders" as I am reclaiming charges?!

Edited by StokiePotter
Pants Spelling

Just reading through a couple of the other posts and noticed that they are having the same contacts with Capquest...

Now I received a letter from Capquest "offering" me a discount and saying they would "match" any payment I made to reduce the balance... very nice of them BUT, Im out to get the whole thing wiped from my file (if Im honest the money part doesn't bother me, just stop the hounding and remove any blotches from my credit file and Ill be happy)

Now should I contact Capquest and let them know Im reclaiming charges or just leave it to Capital One to let them know there is no charges to persue?!

7 days to go for their initial letter to tell me there charges are fair etc.... :-)

Just been reading this thread.

Seems like a new tactic from Capital One.

When you send them a SAR they are supposed to supply you with copies of the original statements that they would have originally sent out to you.

We all seem to accept the summary version of the statements that Capital One sned out in response to SAR's, similar to the ones you posted Stokiepotter.

However in your case Capital One have modifed the summary versions to remove the item descriptions. This is unbelievable and a tactic that can have only been instigated to confuse and frustrate.

Personally I would suggest you just stick with the tried and proven routine now. Ignore CapQuest, don't phone them or write to them and certainly do not pay them anything. Let Capital One have their complete 14 days to respond to your initial letter, see how they respond and hit them with a LBA if necessary.

You will probably have to follow through with a small claim but once you have done this you can rest assured that Capital One will offer to pay you back all of your charges, all the purchase interest you ever paid them, statutory court interest and your court fee. This will obvioulsy clear your account balance and leave you some cash left over. From this position of strength you can force them to remove any defaults on your credit file.

Rgds Budgie

• 2 weeks later...

Received the following letter today...

Dr Mr XXXXX

Account Number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about the default sums we'vee added to your account. I understand that you think these default sums are unlawful and I'm sorry you feel we've treated you unfairly.

To explain, we add late or failure to pay default sums if your payment is missed, arrives late or isnt enough to cover your minimum payment. We'll also add overlimit default sums if your balance goes over your agreed credit limit, which is £200.

When we opened your account in October 2004, we sent you a credit card agreement which stated these default sums. By signing and returning this to us, you agreed to the terms and conditions for the account, including the default sums.

As you're probably aware the Office of Fair Trading, OFT, hasnt challenged the right of banks to charge default sums. Although we feel £20 is a just amount, we've now reduced our default sums to £12. I appreciate that you have incurred default sums at the higher rate, and I would like to address this.

I've reviewed your account and, as a matter of goodwill, I'd like to reduce the default sums we've added to your account to £12 each. This amount totals £152, I would also like to refund an additional £10 as an acknowledgement of interest that you may have incurred. If you'd like to accept this offer, please sign and return the settlement form I've included. Once I get it back I'll add these refunds to your account.

Now that we've sold your account, we don't report anything about it to the credit reference agencies. As Capquest own it, it's their responsibility to report on this debt, and you'll need to agree repayments with them for the remainder of your balance.

I can confirm that we have issued a default notice on your account, We have a legal obligation to report a true reflection of the way your account is run to the agencies. I am afraid I am not prepared to remove the default notice as the reason you defaulted was due to your account being over its credit limit (please may I add this was due to the charges "they added") and behind with payments, and not due to the default sums we've added. This notice was, therefore, added correctly.

I hope I've explained things clearly, but if you do have any further questions, please write to me again. You'll find my address in the leaflet I've included, which also explains our complaints procedure. If I don't hear from you within four weeks, I'll consider this matter closed.

Yours Sincerely

XXXXXX

Now obviously the amount I was claiming was not £152 but more like £450+

Could anybody advise me on what to do now... Ive had a look through the letters but cant find any that relate to a "sold" account or the refusal to remove a default notice.

Regards,

SP :cool: