Creditnote expiry dates - Are they legal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, does anyone know the legality of putting expiry dates on credit notes?

My father has just received one in the post from a furniture store called dwell for a faulty chair he purchased online from their web site, after being told he couldn't not have a refund (which I know is illegal).

It was apparently sent to him in March 2006 but it expired at the end of March 2007, a whole year before he received it! After talking to someone at the store he has been told that there is nothing that they can (or will) do.

Is this legal?

Because to me this sounds like stealing!

It's not illegal per se.

If something is taken back, you are entitled to a refund etc, but you may accept something else that is offered. In this case, the credit note has been accepted. Once it is accepted, you cannot ask for a refund.

I am sure you now know that ideally your father should have told the company that the credit note is not acceptable and pursued a refund. However, for right or wrong he has accepted it.

I am afraid there is little to be done except possibly to challenge the original statement in the first place which may cost a lot of time and money. Having just had a brief glimpse at their website terms and conditions, I have spotted about seven statements which may contravene legislation.

The company does seem to have taken advantage of your father, but I doubt there is anything that can be done now, sorry.

Hi, does anyone know the legality of putting expiry dates on credit notes?

My father has just received one in the post from a furniture store called dwell for a faulty chair he purchased online from their web site, after being told he couldn't not have a refund (which I know is illegal).

It was apparently sent to him in March 2006 but it expired at the end of March 2007, a whole year before he received it! After talking to someone at the store he has been told that there is nothing that they can (or will) do.

Is this legal?

Because to me this sounds like stealing!

Can you just confirm a few things please?

You say 'My father has just received one in the post,' do you mean a credit note just received?

And then are you saying that credit note just received actually expired in March 07?

Do you know - I didn't even read that bit. What I said above is correct, but it may not even be relevant.

Well, I had to read through it a few times and I'm still none the wiser anyway!

And we won't know until the OP replies in any case!

But, yes, what you have posted is absolutely correct and good advice.

Yes it came today.

We think that may have been delivered to a neighbours' house who died a while back, as their were several other items which are dated around the same time (the house has been empty for the last 3 years whilst in probate).

And yes it expired on 31st March 2007.

Also just had a call from them saying that we can take it up the head of customer services tomorrow, as she is off today.

If you've got any ideas as to how we should approach the call we would be most grateful.

Thanks for the advice so far.