• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

newbie marlin/mortimer clarke solicitors

melmumof3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

new here.

have received a letter from the above solicitors regardiing my debt.

they have increased my debt by £1100,

charged interest from march 06,

and as i can pay in full say they are taking me to court.

i sent for my CCa 8 days ago, and have heard nothing. so

when i said about the CCA request, they said that they dont have to send it, as its a closed debt and now is registered??? im confused.

i thought they have to send this by law.

sainsburys sold debt in november.

you cant talk sensibly on the phone to them they just talk you down. i let them get to me.

i have previously been on a DMP with CCCS,

but cancelled it november to sort out mortgage arrears. please can someone advise is this right what they are saying? oh BTW they want £4800 within 7 days, i dont obviously have it.

kindest regards mel

hi all, im a newbie please be gentle, but

ive today received a letter from mortimer clarke solicitors regarding a CC debt. they have added £1141 on for incurred interest from march 06. debt is now £4800. i requested my CCA 8 days ago, and rang this company today asking if its been received. they said they dont have to send it now as its a closed account, and is now registered so they will take the court route. im confused by what they can or cant do. my understanding is they had to supply the CCA on my demand. the original lender was sainsbury CC which was sold in Nov. i was on a DMP with CCCS up until then, but CCCs cancelled it as i have 2k of mortgage arrears to clear.

what do i do now

kindest regards mel

Hi melmumof3,

It doesn't matter if the account has been closed or not a CCA request is a legal request that you are entitled to make. If the request is not met after 12working days then it goes into default, if the default continues for 30 days then they have commited a criminal offence.

Please do not be fobbed of with being sent a copy of your application as many of these are unenforceable (post it up on here to get help if they do send one).

I have been dealing with Marlin/ Mortimer clarke for about 8 months now and all I recieved was a barely ledgable application form, I told Marlin this was unenforcable, they said that this was my CCA, so I told them to take me to court. Later Mortimer Clarke got involved, these people have a grand name but share the same shed in the middle of nowhere as Marlin (Ive seen it, put their postcode into google earth!).

Mortimer Clarke solicitors consist of one registered solicitor (put their name into the Law society website in the find a solicitor section to find out who), and are just as willing to lie as Marlin. I recieved court papers containing another persons details and had to be withdrawn, so I sent their solicitor a letter telling him I was going to complain about him to just about everybody I could. I then recieved a letter telling me that they were waiting for my CCA and I would recieve it when they had it, so it just goes to prove they were lying from the start!

Anyway thats my rant out of the way! Good luck, if you need help or just a bit of support just shout,

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

NEVER SPEAK TO THESE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE, they tell you anything they want and deny anything that doesnt suit them generally talking rubbish.

Did you send this by recorded/register delivery?

If so you can see when it was signed for from PO website and the time starts from there!

Thred moved to Debt Collection Forum.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

NEVER SPEAK TO THESE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE, they tell you anything they want and deny anything that doesnt suit them generally talking rubbish.

Did you send this by recorded/register delivery?

If so you can see when it was signed for from PO website and the time starts from there!

thanks for advice guys

yes i sent letter by recorded delivery, i didnt know i could trace it though.. will check this tomorrow.

hi melmumof3, first off dont speak to them on phone they willl say anything to get you to pay

you say you have sent them a cca and they say they dont have to comply. i think they are talking rubbish, did you send it registerd post?

also dont sign any letters print name( they have learnt to copy and paste)

as for this registered debt duno what the heck they are talking about i think they are trying to confuse you

they still a have a few more days to go before they run out of time on the cca. no cca no enforceable debt

someone else on here might be able to give more advise on charges that they have put on your account hope this helps ..mark

Hi Mel

Can you add a few more facts or possibly post up any letter you have had from Morticians & Co after removing any personal details?

You mentioned 'Sainsbury's'. Is this debt for a personal loan or credit card that you arranged through Sainsbury's? I think Sainsbury's act as a 'shop' for the Bank of Scotland, now part of HBOS. Have any of these companies contacted you over this debt?

You also mentioned a 'registered' debt. Have you been taken to court about this and has a judgment been entered against you?

Sorry about all the questions, but it would then be easier for everyone to advise you.

Cheers.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

hi again,

ive today spoken to CCCS, whom have said that the DCA doesnt have to produce the CCA, but i need to ring the original lender for it?? im confused.

and also said that the DCA can add charges on, so im left with a shiny new £1100 debt, all because im in arrears with my mortgage and had to cancel my DMP. so back in the hole again, and taken 5 steps forwards and 10 back. didnt sleep well last night, and woke up with pins and needles all down my arm and leg. really stressed out at the moment.

They are wrong at CCCS.

If you sent the request to Marlins who whee dealing with the debt you need to do nothing more.

Wait till they are 12+2 working days in and re post.

HAK