• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Not such an Egg Head!

Empire Strikes Back
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Hows this, rang Egg yesterday asking for statements, they said that there would be a fee, :o I then informed them that under the DPA I was entitled to the statements foc, the statements have now arrived this morning at no cost to me. :lol: I have now looked through them and sent Egg the Request for Payment Charges letter, will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Still plodding on with Lloyds, are up to £17,000 charges so far on the two accounts we have with them. :evil:

• 3 weeks later...

Egg have their 14 day Court Letter and reply from them is usual, waffle about

"if you are unhappy etc go to the ombudsman"

They are going to get a letter from me now saying pay up or I will and go to court, they only owe me £420, so they could double that amount

Ombudsmans fee £370

Court Fee £20

My interest £45+

Its their choice :lol::lol::lol:

Well this just goes to prove that the banks/financial institutions have absolutely no idea when it comes to the DPA. To take the word of someone complaining that they are entitled to their statements FOC under the DPA when in fact they are legally allowed to charge a maximum of £10 is laughable. Still their loss, not yours... :wink:

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Hi all,

Hows this, rang Egg yesterday asking for statements, they said that there would be a fee, :o I then informed them that under the DPA I was entitled to the statements foc, the statements have now arrived this morning at no cost to me. :lol: I have now looked through them and sent Egg the Request for Payment Charges letter, will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Still plodding on with Lloyds, are up to £17,000 charges so far on the two accounts we have with them. :evil:

Be very careful how you deal with this. Pm me when you are ready.

have you started a thread on LLoyds?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,Had the standard junk letter from them,we come against another problem with egg im not sure what to do with?credit card protection insurence dont remember ever taking or asking for it but its there can i do anything about it,I rang them and stoped it last month but they still took it from my account

Hi from Bankoff

Well, I'm absolutely GOBSMAKED.

Am working out Fees, Repayment Protection, etc for my mate Empire Strikes Back. I'm the part-time bookkeeper! AND I hate banks. See this all the time in my job.

Egg have sent him statement going back to JUNE 00.

Statement reads £0.00

Spent £1.50

Paid £1.50

Bear in mind this is JUNE 2000.

Next Statement FEBRUARY 2001

Opening Balance £0.00

Spent £75.46

Spent 2.00

Paid 2.00

Spent £229.59

THEN

SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF "Credit Card Repayment Protector" £1.79

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS??????????

So it looks as though this was not signed up for in the first place.

ALSO there were 6 extra statements enclosed with this lot (Definitely Duplicates) so I think they may have been trying to throw us off the scent!!!!!!!!!!

I SMELL A ROTTEN EGG HERE, what do you think??????

I am now dividing up all the items on the statements, adding up what was spent. Adding on their interest for the amount that was spent. Then deducting the payments Empire Strikes Back has already made, then they will get the most verbal letter that have had in their rotten egg lives*%$*%!!!!!

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 17 March 2006 and undated letter of March 2006.

In my letter of 25th March 06, I asked you for payment of the unfair charges you have levied against me to the sum of £420. I am still also waiting for a copy of my agreement with you. Email plus attachment of 5th April 2006 requesting this.

However, from going through my statements again, I see that my card was taken out with you in June 2000, and that there was no Credit Card Repayment Protection taken up with you at the time.

How then do you explain that you suddenly added to my account in February 2001 (SIX MONTHS LATER) “Credit Card Repayment Protection”.

I would like to point out to you that this is something which I always refuse anyway as I am self employed, and as such it is of no use to me. Being self employed I do not qualify under the terms of this Insurance. You have therefore been misguided in you effort to extract money from me by these devious means.

I have worked out that on top of the £420 that you have unlawfully charged me in Unpaid Fees, there is a sum of £1807.47 for “Credit Card Repayment Protection” which you have also unlawfully charged me. You have failed to conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK Law.

I therefore request that you reimburse these amounts to my Credit Card, plus the interest on these unlawful charges within 7 days, failing this I shall enter a claim against you for these amounts plus interest, plus my costs.

Yours etc

"Would like some opinions on this one, Egg have clearly messed up with the CCPP and would like to maximise on this. They are not being very co-operative at the moment.

Would you like faxed copies of these two statements Bank Fodder?

• 2 weeks later...

This "Protection Payment Plan" seems to be automatically added to accounts at the six month stage. I have had an an egg card for some two years for the interest free periods. I heve not encountered any debits for PPP.

If Egg has collected this PPP without authority on a number of accounts it may amount to a criminal matter. If this was the case it would then be ever so easy to get the unlawful charges repaid with punative damages.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Hi from Bankoff

Well, I'm absolutely GOBSMAKED.

Am working out Fees, Repayment Protection, etc for my mate Empire Strikes Back. I'm the part-time bookkeeper! AND I hate banks. See this all the time in my job.

Egg have sent him statement going back to JUNE 00.

Statement reads £0.00

Spent £1.50

Paid £1.50

Bear in mind this is JUNE 2000.

Next Statement FEBRUARY 2001

Opening Balance £0.00

Spent £75.46

Spent 2.00

Paid 2.00

Spent £229.59

THEN

SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF "Credit Card Repayment Protector" £1.79

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS??????????

So it looks as though this was not signed up for in the first place.

ALSO there were 6 extra statements enclosed with this lot (Definitely Duplicates) so I think they may have been trying to throw us off the scent!!!!!!!!!!

I SMELL A ROTTEN EGG HERE, what do you think??????

I am now dividing up all the items on the statements, adding up what was spent. Adding on their interest for the amount that was spent. Then deducting the payments Empire Strikes Back has already made, then they will get the most verbal letter that have had in their rotten egg lives*%$*%!!!!!

Definite rotten egg!!

Hi Bankoff, my husband had the same problem with payment protection suddenly appearing on statements. He's never requested nor ever wanted it from the offset - this wasn't with Egg though, it's with MBNA card. After several phone calls they have refunded it back onto card.

Good luck with claim anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I have found with my loan. They added PPI without asking when I topped up my loan. I wouldn't have said yes to it and only found out that when I called and they said they would refund it they didn't refund it all. They are [causing problems] people they are crooks as they are using the tactics a dodgy sales man would use. I don't know what to do as they took £400 off me I have started a thread on it and have now found out from reading around it wasn't just me they scammed.

MBNA - £592.50 Settled in full

Halifax - Filed for £409.50 Settled in full

Capital One - £40 Settled in full

Cahoot - £60 Settled in full

CitiBank Card - Data Protection Act to be sent

EGG - Deciding what to do about being scammed on PPI

i have had the same problem...check my main thread in EGG......they have charged me nearly 700 quid in PPI......and they cant seem to find the original conversation when i supposedly took it out.....so i am on my 2nd letter to try and get it back, they have got another 14 days, then its off to court we go.........

I asked them for proof of conversation, and have it in writing that they can't find it....so i take it they dont have a leg to stand on ??

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements

Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

We put in the court claim for the charges and also the PPI on 24th April this has been acknowledged by Egg and they have 28 days to reply with their defence. We were in two minds about claiming for the PPI but as we had never asked for it,( we have requested our original agreement to prove that we never requested the PPI but they dont seem able to come up with it!) we thought s-d it lets go the whole hog! The charges are £440.00 and the PPI is £1807.00. Just got to hang in there and wait now, will keep you posted when anything happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also just noticed the Payment Protection charges on my egg card. Upon asking them to prove that i've explicitly requested this "service" they've confirmed it's never been requested, and as a goodwill gesture they would refund the last 3 months .... How generous? They did try to justify themselves by saying they are an online company and expect customers to check for unauthorised charges .... isn't that exactly what i've done!!???

Anyway I've responded to them saying its a completely unsatisfactory solution and expect all PP's refunded or i would seek legal advice.

Just a quick question though ... can i get back all PP charges since opening my egg account (sometime in '99) or can i only go back 6 years for this?

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Submitted MoneyClaim on 30 May.

Acknowledged 7 Jun, 3 Jul deadline for response

Defence filed 4 Jul

Received their copy of AQ 21 July, awaiting court date

*********** SETTLED IN FULL - 17 August *************

Egg Card:

Requested Payment Protection Refund on 20 May,

Sent Data Protection Act request, egg acknowledged,

8 Jul deadline for response.

26 Jul: Sent Prelim Letter

01 Sep: Sent LBA

Citibank:

Not Started

On the last day possible Egg have sent in their defence so are now waiting on the Allocation questionairre. On the bottom of their defence letter they are going for a counterclaim which reads:-

"In the event that the Court finds that the default charges levied on the Claimant do constitute an unfair penalty and are thus enforceable, the Defendant counterclaims for the actual cost to the Defendant of dealing with the Claimant's breach of contract in exceeding his credit limit, such costs to be assessed by the court.

The defendant counterclaims further for all and any other sums which may be due and payable by the Claimant to the Defendant as at the date of judgement."

Anyone else had this on their Defence from Egg, any mods out there who would like a copy of the defence let me know and I can scan it and pm you. Ayone had any money back from them yet

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

That doesn't look very nice ... are they saying they'll claim what costs they did incur (as defined by the courts) and the credit card balance is to be paid off? I don't know, probably understood this incorrectly as there are a lot of long words there!!

An update at my end, after requesting all of the PP back i had another customer service person reply the following:

"I apologise for my colleague's previous reply however I can see that you actually requested this cover on application for your Egg Card."

(the colleague said i hadn't requested it)

I've asked them to prove i requested it ... do they have to??

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Egg have acknowledged my claim and sent in a counterclaim, the same one other people have had. I have filled in the allocation questionnaire and MY defence to the counterclaim and taken it to the court with the fee. I have had a letter from Egg saying they are closing my account and want it repaid in full by 10th July, I have sent a secured message to them asking for the reasons for the closure but it has been passed to the Borrowing team who are getting back to me. I have had no offer from them, in fact not much from them as a whole compared to the others I are claiming against. Will keep you posted, no-one else seems to be getting anywhere with Egg do they.

Hi Empire,

I think the reason people are having problems with Egg is because the credit card business has been making losses for some time(don't know the figures). This is perhaps why they are so reluctant to settle claims. Or maybe they think they have a case lol!:D

Do you intend to pursue them for their retaliatory action? It's disgraceful that some of the banks/credit cards are responding in this way. It is such a childish reaction, but it shows they are rattled!

Keep me posted, I hope they see the futility of their actions sooner rather than later!

Regards,

Sam.:)

• 1 month later...

Think you need to read some threads. I know someone (think Jonni) is claiming for restoration of account back to before he took action as part of his claim.

If they have cancelled your account they can ask for money back but hey they can get to the back of the queue. You could add up your income and outgoings and calculate a repayment plan (probably much the same as your minimum payment anyway but without Eggs interest. So they might just of cut their nose off to spite their face.

The defence is standard for Egg. There is a thread around that basic says that you can agreed counter claim - i.e. if it is proved that the fees are justified you have to pay them! Well lets see them show their hand! I don't think so. I wasn't going to chase Egg for the money they owe me but now I see what a bunch of s**ts they are including the lovely Ms Gordon I will go for it. If they cancel my card they will be down by about £4000 for a long time. Their loss.

Stick with it.

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Whats going on Empire?????

Have you been assassinated by Egg?

Egg Credit Card - Data Protection Act sent 15/6

Recieved Statements 29/7

Halifax Credit Card (£775) - Data Protection Act handed in at branch 21/6

Recieved statements 25/7

Prelim sent 25/7

LBA sent 14/8

MoneyClaim Filed 6/9 (£916.94)

Halifax Bank Account (£430) - Data Protection Act handed in at branch 21/6

Recieved Statements 27/7

Prelim sent 27/7

LBA sent 16/8

No havent been assasinated by Egg have been away and then had great problems with broadband connection, but that seems to be sorted out at last, so here is the latest.Had a letter from local County Court on 6th July giving a court date for 9th October also had an order to get all documents I want to rely on in Court and a signed witness statement to the Court by 17th July, which I have done. Have heard nothing from Egg so dont know if they are intending to go to court or what, Part of the order was to send copies of supporting docs to each party, I sent copies to Egg, but have not received any of their supporting documents, I have just rung the court and Egg wrote to them on 17th July asking for more time to submit their documents as they were having trouble getting them from archive, they then wrote again on the 28th July still having problems, it has now gone to the Judge who is going to make a decision on this, they have a backlog at the Court at the moment but will let me know the judges decision as soon as he has made it, so watch this space. As far as the termination of our account on the 12th July is concerned, I have e-mailed Egg many times asking for the reasons why but all I get is an automated response saying it has been passed to the Borrowing Team, the account is still active and the payments still being taken by Egg through Direct Debit monthly .

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks