• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Your bank is taking your benefits in charges

steven4064
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have read this thread with considerable interest, and would like to seek advice regarding my financial situation. I am registered disabled and in receipt of both DLA and Incapacity Benefit, my wife is my carer; although we are being told by the Benefits Agency that we need to complete a form to make this official (we had informed the relevant people at the BA and were told they had "sorted" it out for us - they havent!).

We are a family of three who are on benefits, our daughter is at school and is 13. I am classified as chronically ill and am on first name terms with my GP's, who have written me a wonderful letter supporting my situation healthwise and regarding financial matters.

I admit to having been foolish to apply for four credit cards, a storecard and a loan. Everything has now caught up with me and I have been dealing with the relevant parties (banks and Credit Collection Agencies),including a financial statement. Add to this I have run into difficulties with a couple of my utility payments, and an old Council Tax bill has reared its ugly head. I have written to and offered monthly payments of £10 which have been accepted by all parties barring the Council Tax arrears; they want me to pay £90 a month! Threatening me with a bailiff if I don't comply. I have so far made one payment, the next is due soon.

I was told that I have to meet the payment of £90 which is to be paid for in five monthly payments, and inform the others that until I have cleared the Council Tax arrears they will be paid £1 a month; as Council Tax is deemed an essential need. I have received two letters informing me that I am now in default!

Another I am having problems with is MBNA, who I have written to and spoken to on the telephone; and have just received a letter from MBNA charging me £25 for the privilige! It made me laugh and I jokingly said to my wife that I'll respond in kind and ask them to donate my charge to a charity of my choice!

With what I've now read about the social security situation I would like to enquire as to were I stand! When I applied for my credit cards/store card/loan I informed each party of my financial situation, and that is that I was and still am in receipt of benefits; they were more than happy to award me the aforementioned credit facilities! Can I reduce the monthly payments on the strength of this, and maybe even have them erased!!! I know I'm asking a lot, but these forums are a brilliant source of information.

I thank you in advance of your responses.

seeker27:grin:

Hi seeker

You need to pay off the council tax bill before everything else as it is a priority debt (MBNA can go ....)

You need some proper advice on managing these debts - if you have not done so, go to CAB or contact National Debt Line (National Debtline – Free, Confidential Debt Advice – Call 0808 808 4000, phone 0808 808 4000) ASAP.

The income and expenditure statement you have already is a good start. You then need to budget to pay off priority debts first. THese are

Rent/mortgage

secured loans

Council Tax

electricity/gas (not water)

fines (if any - may not apply but others may find this useful)

maintenance arrears (as above)

hire purchase debts

in that order.

Anything left over can bve offered to non-priority creditors at £1 a month. THis includes MBNA however loudly they shout. Do not speak to them on the phone but keep detailed records of when they call. THey are particularly nasty to deal with. THe reason they harass and bully you is just because they are non-priority creditors - they hope to bully you into paying them money that would otherwise be used to feed your family or pay priority debts.

Hi seeker

You need to pay off the council tax bill before everything else as it is a priority debt (MBNA can go ....)

You need some proper advice on managing these debts - if you have not done so, go to CAB or contact National Debt Line (National Debtline – Free, Confidential Debt Advice – Call 0808 808 4000, phone 0808 808 4000) ASAP.

The income and expenditure statement you have already is a good start. You then need to budget to pay off priority debts first. THese are

Rent/mortgage

secured loans

Council Tax

electricity/gas (not water)

fines (if any - may not apply but others may find this useful)

maintenance arrears (as above)

hire purchase debts

in that order.

Anything left over can bve offered to non-priority creditors at £1 a month. THis includes MBNA however loudly they shout. Do not speak to them on the phone but keep detailed records of when they call. THey are particularly nasty to deal with. THe reason they harass and bully you is just because they are non-priority creditors - they hope to bully you into paying them money that would otherwise be used to feed your family or pay priority debts.

Steven,

Many thanks for your reply, it is very much appreciated. I am now quite efficient at dealing with these non priority creditors on the telephone, but will in future, ask them to contact me in writing.

Steven, regarding the credit collection agency writing to me and telling me I have defaulted on my payment arrangements. I did write to the credit collection agencies concerned informing them of this new debt that I had to pay, yet they responded negatively! How should I proceed?

Also since first writing to the CCA's my gas/electric has gone up, and due to my disability I am having to use the private hire to get me about; which has affected my income and expenditure drastically. I am contemplating writing to the CCA's concerned and informing them of my aforementioned changes, and reducing my monthly repayments.

seeker27

Edited by seeker27
I forgot to ask a further question.

• 3 months later...

My jsa got eaten in bank charges today. But it was lloyds bouncing of a payment that would have sent me £10 in debit if they had paid it but sent me £20 in debit by bouncing it. This is the 2nd occourance this year and now ive got £4 to live on for a week ( me/wife/3 kids) where the gov say i need £90. 2 people at lloyds say they must refund the charge as its not my money but the governments, last person said phone back at 8 in the morning. Oh well kids dry bread for tea..

• 3 weeks later...

Last year November 2008, I had sky direct debit set up from my Nationwide a/c... I was not working then as i was on maternity, the only income into my a/c were tax credits, and child benefit, the amount which sky should have deducted should have been £23.00, but they 've tried deducting £30.00, this amount bounced, they tried the second time, after which I notified Nationwide to cancel the direct debit, but somehow it happened the 3rd, of which natinwide told me it was too LATE to stop it then, in total , i was charged £90.00, by the bank , can i reclaim ? if so which is the best way/approach pls ???

• 5 months later...

i know that the banks cant take benefit any forms of benefit to pay for charges or when an account is overdrawn, they have a legal right to pay the money back to the customer, in fact if you go into the jobcentre there is a letter they can send to the bank requesting this. however the jobcentre do offer post office accounts which may be a good route for now - tey are free.

• 2 weeks later...
i know that the banks cant take benefit any forms of benefit to pay for charges or when an account is overdrawn, they have a legal right to pay the money back to the customer, in fact if you go into the jobcentre there is a letter they can send to the bank requesting this. however the jobcentre do offer post office accounts which may be a good route for now - tey are free.

If this is the case that we cant claim back our charges under the social security act 1992, then shouldnt the template letter stick for claiming bank charges back when on benefits in the template letter section be removed?

Both - please see post #21

• 2 months later...

I have managed to sort out quite a lot of my financial mess, until recently. I have a current account with NatWest and a overdraft limit of £750.

Until recently all my benefits used to go in to this account, but I was unable to control my finances so had all of my benefits transferred in to my savings account so I could keep track on what was coming in and what was going out.

Now my problem is that NatWest have charged me extortionate fees and I am currently nearly £950 overdrawn. They have charged me almost £200'ish. I have been charged £76 Unpaid Item fee, Guarantee Card Payment Fee £70, Unpaid Item Fee £15, Guarantee Card Payment Fee £15.

Can I be charged so much money in fees, I am a single mother and on benefits and I am also a carer for my sick mother. I am very worried as I owe so much money to NatWest and I do not think I will be able to pay so much money back.

I went to my local branch and spoke to the manager about the excess fees, and he told me that there was nothing that he could do he said. Please could someone help me please?

• 10 months later...

can anyone please clarify, if im being chased for debts, but am on benefits, pensioners etc, can the court make an award for payments of these debts against my income, which is below the accepted standard and therefor paying benefits to me to ensure im at at that standard,

Seems any award made against my income would in effect bring me back below that minimum, and if they did, could i then apply for more benfits as its been taken by the courts??

Edited by pawnbrokers
spelling

• 1 year later...

This has been posted elsewhere on the site,but its needed in here too.

A friend of mine was in despair following Santanderlink3.gif not only charging him for a failed direct debitlink3.gif,but then continued to add further daily charges.

He informed me that he had called them and emailed them,explaining that the charges were punitive since his only income is Jobseekers allowance.

The fees stood at £55 and were rising.

He asked me if I could help,and duly wrote him a letter.

I was finding it hard to understand,how a bank like Santander,were openly flouting their obligations.

My friend had pleaded with them and explained his situation.

Santander of course could see from the account too-that he was in reciept of benefits since they were paid into this account.

No excuses then...lets get to work.

Account number xxxxxxxxxxx Sort Code xx xx xx

letter before actionlink3.gif

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very disappointed in your response to my complaints which were made to you today, and that you have chosen to ignore my request for hardship, I therefore have no alternative but to seek recourse through the county courtlink3.gif system. I believe that Santanderlink3.gif have treated me unfairly under the following BCOB rules of which Santander should be compliant with,since Santander is a firm regulated by the FSA.

Rule 5.1.1 R states “A firm must provide a service in relation to a retail banking service which is prompt, efficient and fair to a banking customer and which has regard to any communications or financial promotion made by the firm to the banking customer from time to time.”

Rule 5.1.4 G “Principle 6 requires a firm to pay due regard to the interests of its customers and to treat them fairly. In particular, a firm should deal fairly with a banking customer whom it has reason to believe is in financial difficulty.”

Santandar have been informed that I am in reciept of state benefits and that I need these to cover essential living costs including food and heat/lighting.

Santander have not at any point acknowledged that this is a hardship case despite me notifying you.You have levied charges of £55 in recent days,and have refused to refund these in your return call to me on 6th.June. For these grounds I feel that I have been treated unfairlylink3.gif.

In order for this claim to be settled without the need for court action I require that the full amount taken of £55 returned to me by way of a credit to my account.

If I have not received a satisfactory response within 14 days then court action will be commenced without further notice and further costs will be incurred.

A judgment for a breach of BCOBS is very serious and the FSA would be empowered to act.

Yours Faithfully

Mr V. Upset

Would the recipients of his email to Santander actually know what the letter was about ?

You bet they did!

He got a reply quite swiftly...in fact in the space of 30 minutes.

Good Afternoon Mr V. Upset Thank you for your email.

I am happy to reverse the amount of £55, which have been waived due to exceptional circumstances.

To ensure no further charges are incurred on your accounts, we would ask you to monitor your accounts throughout the month. This can be completed through Online Banking, Local Branch and Telephone Banking.

I hope this information is useful and if you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me via Secure Messaging or my colleagues on 0845 9724724.

Kind Regards,

The nice man (who knows his BCOBs from his bankcharges)

Santander Customer Services

So the message to all those who believe they have been treated unfairly,is to give them a taste of their own famous words when they fob you off with sorry we cant refund the charges..... "This may not be the reply you wanted"

Edit.

The banks get letters and emails from people threatening them with Court action every day.

We know this and so do they.So its essential,that you are willing and prepared to act on any threats if the bank do ignore your letter/email.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this a few years ago, if you say you will accept a lower amount than what's owed they will be more likely to give you a refund. Since then though I have always lived within my means and never go overdrawn, five years and counting.

Accepting anything less than whats owed is not something CAG would ever advise.

Of course they will be more likely to agree if you do.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

• 5 weeks later...

bcobs came in nov 2009

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 9 months later...

Does it matter if you didn't notify them at the first instance that you were on benefits? I've been on DLA for 4.5 years now. I dread to think how many times i've been charged the £22 personal reserve usage fee from barclays, but i never notified them. Do i stand a chance of claiming them all back?

Does it matter if you didn't notify them at the first instance that you were on benefits? I've been on DLA for 4.5 years now. I dread to think how many times i've been charged the £22 personal reserve usage fee from barclays' date=' but i never notified them. Do i stand a chance of claiming them all back?[/quote']

start your own thread in the Barclays forum

see video below

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks