Medicare ?

mrsc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone heard of Medicare,as my Mother had a call from them and they have arranged to visit her.To discuss her needs.

My Mother did ask if it was the Doctor that had told them about her and they have said no,what I am wondering is where they got her information,she has recently been given a blue badge for parking, would they have given out her info?

She is 70 and not very stable on her feet,and gets easily confused,my Dad is 80 although more able than my Mother has just had a largepart of his bowel removed (cancer) he has suffered a few set backs with infections etc,but seems to be on the mend now. I am just a bit concerned about this. I cannot manage to be there as I have an appointment with my son, that I have been waiting ages for,so don't want to cancel.

Are you sure the name was Medicare? :-?

To the best of my knowledge, Medicare is the Australian Health system, and a fairly complicated system it is too for foreigners visiting Australia (says she who had to organise medical assistance many a time for visitors, :rolleyes:), but I have never heard of the name relating to anything in the UK.

Sorry, not terribly helpful, I know. :-(

All I can find is a health insurance plan through the australian company bookie mentioned for british expats. I don't see any reason why they would be interested in your mum, perhaps this was some sort of attempted [problem]?

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Thanks anyway Bookworm,

That's the name my Mother has said but could be wrong,as she does get confused.They spoke to her as tho they knew her,called her by her first name etc.Asked about the difficulty she had walking and getting out of her chair etc.

Just worried as I have no idea who they are that they will manage to sell her something she neither needs or wants. I have warned her not to sign anything or agree to anything just in case.

They are coming to see her tomorrow afternoon,I just don't want them to be taken advantage of,if you know what I mean,you could sell my mother anything if the patter is good enough.

If it is, you definitely want someone to be there. Unless I am very much mistaken, it looks like the same type of outfit (not saying that's who they are, just looks like!) that were featured on BBC's Rogue Traders a couple of months back. Let me do a bit of research and I'll get back to you.

Edit: Ok, different companies altogether, but same kind of products. That's the article about the programme, btw: BBC - Consumer - TV and radio scroll down to "salesmen".

Different company altogether, but it still sounds like a sales lead, and if the salesman is coming to your parents' home, I would be very concerned, as these people can be very persuasive. I think you really, really need to get someone mentally alert to be there for their sake, IMO. :-(

Thanks Bookworm,

Have just phoned my Mother,and she has said they had asked on 2 occasions if there would only be them there ( my parents). So the alarm bells are ringing.

I will have to be there,not sure how long sons appointment will take, but should make it.

I rarely trust anybody,but my Mother thought they were so nice.I will try and get as much info as I can. will let you know how I get on.

Please do, I do not like the sound of this one bit. :mad:

Incidentally, should they need this kind of assistance, best bet would be to get back to the clinic/medical center which deals with them, as they would have a contract with a specific supplier (my brother works for Serco, which has the NHS contract for wheelchairs [down South, anyway], that's how I know!)

Just back,

Okay must admit their sales patter was good,and they only go to over 65's with mobility problems,couldn't understand halve of what she was going on about,it was all to do with the muscles and not getting enough oxygen etc. Had a big long word that they used (Kineezeeology) thats how it was pronounced.Anyway they had her lying on a mattrass that massaged from below and they had this small hand held machine that they used on the legs and lower back,to iron out the muscles (that was what they said anyway) this went on for about half an hour,then they asked if she had any pain,which she didn't,then asked her to walk across the floor,which she managed,(normally can't without a stick) so she felt brilliant,then it was you have to keep up the massage at least 1 hour a day, so they suggested she buy a chair and guess what it only costs £1900.00 but just think of the benefits:rolleyes: they then said as she would qualify for the discount so it would only cost £1350.00 and it would be delivered in 5 days.

They were very vague about where they got their info from,just that everyone info is on computers nowadays.

So how would she like to pay,to which they were told she won't be paying for anything as she can't afford that being a pensioner. No doubt they will be on the phone with an amazing offer:eek:

Sorry just really tired,it's a long drive,just thought I would let you know what it was all about. I am glad I was there.

I am glad you were there too. :-(

I would suggest that you write a letter on behalf of your parents to the company with a "thanks for the visit, but this is to confirm that we are NOT interested in purchasing anything from your company, not now, not in the future, please do not contact us again, and remove our telephone number from your database immediately." or words to that effect.

If your mum got relief from the massage part, it might be worth getting her one of those small TENS machines, they cost £17.50 at Lloyds pharmacy at the moment, and work really well on some people, certainly worth a try... I had mine on on the train coming back from Manchester at the week-end, I now make sure I take it with me if I have to go away. ;-)

Thanks Honey5, I know they make your blood boil don't they:mad:

Bookworm, TBH I think she would have bought the chair as she felt good,I will get her one of the machines tomorrow,and get her to try that,she has lost all confidence since she fell a while back, since then she has fallen a few times mainly in the house or in the garden.She has arthritis in her back Knees and ankles and a trapped nerve in the shoulder which gives her a lot of pain.

I will get that letter done ASAP.

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated:)

PS I don't know how people like that can sleep at night,they may have conned some poor soul out of their live savings.:mad:

PS I don't know how people like that can sleep at night,they may have conned some poor soul out of their live savings.:evil:
Quite easily! Those parasites have their consciences surgically removed. :-x

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi all,

I have been looking into this Kinesiology,(proper spelling this time) and it has to do with the muscles,but first they have to test the muscles,which wasn't done at all,and although they do use massage there is a lot more to it than that. Think I will also ask in the letter,what training this woman had.

well they did call today ( I thought they might) my Mother told them that this is the worst she has been feeling for a long time;) so don't think they will bother her again:lol: