A Paypal Lesson (after someone uses your card)

InformedSearcher
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5981 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've read some interesting things (worldwide) regarding Paypal (rather than Ebay. I have a story to tell to not enlighten people about their operations. I have my bank details and a couple of cards registered with Paypal. I tend to buy rather than sell.

Back in 2006 someone managed to open a free email account, use my Maestro card details and extract 200usd. I spotted this a bit fast from my bank account (that tinkers on the edge of overdraft each month). I contacted both my bank and Paypal. I was amazed 3 days later the UK equivelant of the 200usd was credited to my bank by HSBC. Three days later Paypal credited my account too so HSBC can be fast when they want to be and got their cash back. What shocked me even further was that a couple of silly things arrived at my home which I never ordered. The other surprise was that obviously someone from wherever I'd used the card on line had extracted the details and used them but with part of my address missing (but just enough to find things to my by Royal Mail. The other factor was the person who got the cash I was told lived in the USA!

A year later I was on the phone to Paypal asking why the direct bank transfer thing seldom works to an answer of 'risk element'. I mean they refuse payments to well know internet suppliers too. It was suggested I add my Maestro card to the list which I never realsied you could. Ha, what happened? A yellow box appeared with red text telling me that card was already in use. Yes it was by this fradulent character a year earlier!

Now comes the crunch. I called Paypal umpteen time and eventually was put through to their Dublin office. I explained maybe 15 times to various people the plight. I had replies of, 'As we speak the account is being changed' and various stuff like that which was just total lies (and I suspect they all had a good laugh at my expence too). I even had two operatives there tell me I'd be better off using Western Union! Shall we say after more than £30 worth of phone calls I gave up. I wrote an email to the Director who happens to be a member of The House of Lords. I guess I'm merely insignificant as I never heard a peep from anyone.

Move forward to very recently this year. I always like to fill out the Paypal 'surveys' they send after speaking to you etc. This time I was amazed to actually receive a phone call from a man at Paypal. After the little security stuff he listened to me. His reply was that under those kind of circumstances a card if ever fraudulently used (forget issue numbers) will never be allowed to be used again. I expressed my concern that the last 8 digits of the card were also my bank account number and why did their flashy software not pick it up. Alas there was minimal reply except to reiterate the card would never be allowed again under any guise. I made it plain I disliked people, like 'all' of them blatantly lying to me for which he could only apologise.

So there you have it. If you ever have this kind of thing happen, get your cash back etc. never expect a chance of success in using that card again.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--