• Tweets

• Hi LFI, With regard to the ANPR cameras in your post #65, while I was on the phone to the Planning Department, they did take a look at Google Streetview and went back to 2012 where they could see the ANPR cameras in place so therefore they would have deemed consent. I had previously read the T&C Planning Regulations and had read the section on deemed consent so I understood the point they made on the phone. It doesn't matter though, that doesn't harm my case any, and I shouldn't really mention this now, but in the past I was a member of a scheme that gave me access to legal advice, I have spoken to a barrister previously through this scheme on another matter and I think I am still a member. I am going to check and if I still am,  I am going to discuss my case with a barrister or solicitor, whichever the scheme deems appropriate. I will let you know the outcome. I am also going to take Bankfodders advice in the sticky and go to the local court and ask if I can sit in on a case in the Judges office.
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx Yes sorry. they called it a deed at first in court.  Then Judge said she was happy to have it sealed as something else  exact names of orders in message above.     The disease was tested for when his cardiac testing was done immediately after purchase and part of the now sealed case.   However, results were disclosed incorrectly and I only found out  two days ago.   This disease did not form part of my knowledge during the case as I had been informed of a normal result that was not the case.   it is perfect clarity of a genetic disease where as the previous cardiac issue could be congenital until the pup is genetically tested. 
    • Hi, Halifax recently sold a credit card account of mine to Cabot. I am unemployed and have no assets and was thinking of making token £1 payments for 12-18 months in order to drag things out a bit and reduce the chance of Cabot being able to get the correct CCA documents from Halifax if I requested them in future. However, I saw on the pages on this forum about defending county court claims that one of the standard approaches when defending such claims is to say “I had an account with bank X, but I don’t remember the details and so don’t know if I owe this debt…”. If I made £1 payments to Cabot, would it prevent me from using such a defence in future? OC: Halifax DC: Cabot/Wescot Card account opened: 2016 Defaulted: 2023
    • Paperwork says sealed consent order and composite settlement agreement      YES  ADDISONS DISEASE 
    • Hi, This may be the wrong place for a thread BUT If you receive a defence, can you send a CPR 31.14 request for document mentioned in the defence, and then apply to proceed with the case only after (14) days passed or they respond OR is it only if you receive a claim I see @dx100uk thread is for when you receive a claim, but can you also do the same when you receive a defence?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Company Billing Me for A Club I do not use nor wish to

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

My company (i can no name in public but will in PM/mail) has mandated that after promotion I must join one of the company social clubs.

I neither wish to use the facilities nor do. Since my promotion however I have been interviewed as I have not payed the membership bill and been warned it will be docked from my wage if I do not pay. My alternative is they have threatened they can demote me.

There is nothing directly in the contract to say I must join the club however there are elements stating on reaching my present level you must pay the mebership. I can if I choose use the club at any time but so far have not used any of the facilities offered.

As I see it at the moment there are several issues to address;

1) The company has offered credit (by way of running a credit line of the membership fee) and thus to enforce this they must comply with the CCA to get the fees owed.

2) I did not choose to become a member it is by virtue of current position and enforced upon me.

3) I do not use nor intend to use the services.

Any-one see any legal points I can look into further, or immediate irregularities with what my company is doing. Unfortunately I can not enter in to much more detail (company/policy) publicly but am prepared to give more details by PM / mail and post the generics in the forum for all to see. (If anyone takes this up they will see why.)

Looking for advice

G

Would need more details,outline on whats in your T & C`s, company work book etc.

On the face of it, i cvan not see how they can enforce this, however as always things might not be as simple as they seem.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

your t's & c's will confirm this outright.

is anyone else at your level having the same problem ?

have you consulted a union official ?

as cal37 says, it doesnt seem like they could enforce it, but theres always small print, so take a look.

do you know anyone in the wages dept' who actually deducts these payments from other employers, and if so, see if you can find anything out.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

When you say your company has mandated this - by what means? is this in writing to you, or has it been communicated verbally?

If you wish to PM more details I will have a look.

Kind regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

OK - Thanks for interest.

I am a member of Armed forces - and was my rank entitles me to use what is called a 'Mess' essentially a social club open exclusively to my rank.

As a member of the forces we come under civil law and military rules called Queens regualtions (QR's). QR's state that every mess member must pay their bill by the 10th of the month; By virtue of rank I am a member.

I do not use the 'Mess' and have no intention of using it, I live a good distance away to be able to casually use it (bar,draws etc), and I do not attend formal functions. Formal functions are billed in addition to the monthly standing charge as are accomodation fee's which may be incurred. The standing charge covers such items as daily newspapers, mess improvements (gardens etc) which do not come out of the Public Purse. All of the basic provisions (food,accomodation if required, staff) have to be provided from the public purse.

I have been warned about not paying and stated my case and ben told the only option is to retrun to a lower rank which does not entitle me to the facilites of the 'Mess', or fees will be directly dedeucted from my wage and/or military disiplinary action. The grounds for disciplinary action would be failiure to pay the bill in accordance with QR's (guilty by default not paid by 10th of each month).

My point is - Is the charge legal in the first place and what could I refer to to justify illegality (by civil law). Bills are produced monthly and equate to about 35% of the difference between my previous rank and current rank.

As I see it an initial arguement would be the bill is run as a credit account, and billed retrospectively. Monthly standing charge retrospective and any thing if I chose to use the bar that I billed to my account is run as a credit line, as are function fees etc. Therefor it should come under the realms of the CCA (nothing signed to accept bill or charges by me).

Over to the floor - as you can se because this is a military issue I have to be a bit cagey about what I say publicly.

ht7

I think you will find it impossible to either opt out of Mess membership or avoid paying bills.

Presumably you are a newly promoted Sgt; when you were a Cpl, and for some time before that, you must have been aware of the existence of the Mess. You must have known that when you became a SNCO you would become a member of the Mess - indeed, many see Mess membership as something to aspire to. The fact is that Mess membership is part and parcel of military life at the rank you are now in.

That said, I have some sympathy with you, being a Mess member who lives out and still has to pay for facilities not used and services not provided. Many of the rules surrounding Mess billing are archaic and heavily weighted in favour of the system.

Whilst I don't think you are going to get QRs changed overnight, I do think there are some things you can do to minimise your costs. Check to ensure that the Mess is entitled to make all the charges - especially if it's contractorised, as they are notorious for 'errors'. There's a JSP (can't remember which one) that contains all the rules for what can and can't be done in Messes. Charging for functions you didn't attend is a no-no, for example. Ask for a breakdown of any standing charges - e.g. charging everyone for the garden is acceptable, whilst charging everyone for the washing machines is not (only livers-in should pay).

It seems crazy to me to jeopardize your career because you don't want to be in the Mess, and it's as much a part of being a SNCO as the other rights and responsibilities that come with promotion.

If you really want lots of views on this, head over to the Army Rumour Service website (ARRSE) - this question has come up several times before there.

As far as the CCA is concerned, I agree that membership of Messes and paying bills should probably be formalised. With more and more Messes being contractorised, the standards have plummetted, and more and more billing errors seem to be occurring - yet individuals start off at a disadvantage because they have to pay in any circumstances. As the method of providing the service has changed, the system has remained the same.

SP,

Saw you answering some other threads and thought this might get to you. Thank- you for your reply.

Ultimately I will pay as I really don't think I can get out of it. I would just like to make the service squirm a little bit. By mentioning the leagalities (or illegalities) of the mandatory charge.

I do feel that the particular mess is operating outwith the remit of the rules, in some instances of which I am quite accustomed. I have mentioned this to the adjutant staff who are non-commital and say this is a mess committe problem.

At an interview (regarding the overdue bill) i did mention I would be prepared to pay a reduced rate (e.g. non-attending members rate) but this was pooh-poohed (as I expected).

Obviously I was aware of the mess and mess fees prior to promotion, however until I chose to stop paying and was subsequently interviewed I was unaware that it was mandatory to pay. One of my big issues is that since the major review of pay a few years ago (Pay 2000) mess fees now account for approx 35%-40% of your promotion wage increase . The promotion pay increase is only approx 3-5% on top of the unpromoted wage.

I fail to see the mandatory mess fee being legal and think it has only continued so long becuase no one has challenged it, military tradition blah blah. I am willing to challenge this as there is an large underswell of support, who I do not expect to come fully forward.

I am aware of A.R.S.E etc. but in general everyone just says to tow the party line and pay or get out. I worked hard for promotion and while a 'private bar' which in my opinion is all the mess is, is good, I would prefer the option to save that bit of money for me and mrs ht7 to go out, or stay in with.

Thanks and if anyone has any law which they feel the situation may be in breach of please reply.

ht7