Vehicle Tracking - Can My Employer Enforce This?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I see where you are coming from, but for a quiet life, just accept it ant take the cash you get for your own mileage. There is a plus point you've overlooked, depending on how the data is used. If it is real-time store and forward, a track log giving the time, location and speed of the vehicle is recorded and stored. The data will then need to be download from the vehicle on a regular basis. Alternatively, it is sent as a data-stream as part of a combined GPS-Telematics unit. The plus side for you in either of these matters is even as a private individual, you have corroboration against traffic wardens ANPR and a whole host of horrors to back up your assertion you weren't there, weren't speeding, and can find your car if stolen.

If you really don't care for this additional protection, then since it will run off YOUR vehicle's battery, there's nothing stopping you removing the fuse on the unit and they'll be none the wiser due to it not being powered with the ignition off! Just remember to turn it back on (or fit your own switch). If it was me, I'd accept it, but I like the benefits and protection it offers.

If I had to work on the motorway's, could they insist on me having a flashing orange light fitted to the roof?!

FWIW, yes.

New elfin safety requirements require that any vehicle that stops on the hard shoulder of a motorway must have the appropriate visibility markings. In many cases, companies will provide specific vehicles where you are required to work on the motorway.

I take your point. You might just want a different example ;)

Out of interest, what happens when you change your car?

Is your employer expecting you to time a deal to swap the car with their convenience in moving the tracker device.? I think not.

What indemnification have your employers put in place if the tracker device causes a fire or otherwise damages your vehicle?

Oh, and this is a modification, so you are required to inform your insurance company - I would expect to claim any increase in premium or admin charge from the employer.

Oh, and this is a modification, so you are required to inform your insurance company - I would expect to claim any increase in premium or admin charge from the employer.

No it isn't. (Not in the sense used by insurers). It would be classed as part of the in-car entertainment/and or security. If you report you have it, they'll probably give you a DISCOUNT worth 8%-10% for the use of tracking devices.

Mind you, if you and the wife have cars and you swap regularly, with they fit units to both? I don't think so!

I see where you are coming from, but for a quiet life, just accept it ant take the cash you get for your own mileage. There is a plus point you've overlooked, depending on how the data is used. If it is real-time store and forward, a track log giving the time, location and speed of the vehicle is recorded and stored. The data will then need to be download from the vehicle on a regular basis. Alternatively, it is sent as a data-stream as part of a combined GPS-Telematics unit. The plus side for you in either of these matters is even as a private individual, you have corroboration against traffic wardens ANPR and a whole host of horrors to back up your assertion you weren't there, weren't speeding, and can find your car if stolen.

If you really don't care for this additional protection, then since it will run off YOUR vehicle's battery, there's nothing stopping you removing the fuse on the unit and they'll be none the wiser due to it not being powered with the ignition off! Just remember to turn it back on (or fit your own switch). If it was me, I'd accept it, but I like the benefits and protection it offers.

Given your views on intrusion by the state I find it very surprising that you are advising the OP in such a way.

Lilo, as it is your own personal car the company are not in a position to insist that you fit the device, regardless of any change in the T's and C's. I'm surprised they would want to do this, especially as hand held devices are available that do the same job and would not entail a permanent modification to your own car.

I would also ask the company for a copy of their disciplinary procedures to ensure they are following them correctly. If you are a union member I would contact them too.