Possible Grievance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening everyone,

Just need some advice really. I have a problem with my line manager at my place of employment. History to it is that he chose me to go on an inhouse training course leading to promotion. Ever since he seems to have it in for me and basically keeps saying I'm not improving in the areas I need to improve on, no matter how hard I try but giving me no support, feedback or training to help improve these areas. Everything kind of came to a head on Tuesday, when he pulled me into a meeting room to 'talk to me' about a call he had listened to of mine. It basically was a case of every time he asked me why I had said something, he would shoot it down and say 'no, I believe you said that because........'. The meeting ended with him threatening that if he listened to another call like that he would kick me off the course, but also send me back to the team of trainees (the team when you first join the company). I have been in my job for 14 months now, and he knows that no-one would ever ake the humiliation of going back to that team and would rather quit. I feel that is what he is trying to make me do. Also, he hasn't followed company policies and procedures. Do I have a solid case for a grievance against him? Any opinions would be welcome.

Thank you

S.A.R SENT TO ABBEY 12/12/06

I would think so, read through your customer handbook and your grievance procedure and try to follow it to the letter.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

I have done this and I am pretty certain I have a case. I also spoke to my HR dept about it oday. here response was to say 'Try and talk to him about it!' So much for trying to get some unbiased advice from them!!!!!

S.A.R SENT TO ABBEY 12/12/06

Hi,

Its always good practice to try and resolve problems directly with the person concerned. If that fails then put a grievance in writing into HR.

This letter means that a meeting has to be held to hear your grievance within 28 days.

In your letter, outline the reason for your grievance, you do not have to go into detail just an outline.

In answer to your question....................yes i would say you have a grievance but do try talking to the manager first.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

Normal advice is to try and resolve a grievance informally directly with the person in question or if you feel uncomfortable about this ask a colleague. If this fails (and contrary to what Cal said) I would put a detailed letter together clearly highlighting the facts alleged, identify the subject of the grievance and the remedy sort. Your organisation then has a duty to investigate and look to resolve the matter. Another option you may wish to consider is mediation between you and your manager.

Indeed every company would love someone to put a detailed letter in, They then can take 28 days to counter any grievance if they wish to do so.

I just quote the law and all the law requires is a letter outlining the greavance. If you wish to write a 3 page essay then feel free to do so, however in my experience its not necessary and can be counter productive.

Sorry did not realise we were being pedantic. An employee must indeed write a letter to their employer and wait 28 days before any claim can be submitted to an ET. However an employer is wise to hold a meeting within 28 days o the point it has almost become good practice.

An ET would consider an employer not to have followed thestatutory grievance procedures, if they failed to respond within a reasonable time (now considered 28 days).

I think the best advice would be to read the ACAS guide. "Almost good practice" - that must be good practice which is not quite good enough! As an ex-union man, you are clearly an expert on being pedantic having said the same thing 3 times in a post of 4 sentences.