where do I stand? totally fed up

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can point me in the correct direction please..

My company had a reconstruction of all office staff recently,I went through hell, but my persistance and determination paid off in the end, where by the company reduced my hours from 24 to 20 but I maintained my original salary. I also got my annual holiday entitlement increased.

I thought this was the icing on the cake...how wrong could I have been...

The change over date was September 10th

I received my new contract on Sat 15th September

After reading the contents I notice this:

Hours of Work:

Contract states "you may be required to work additional hours from time to time as required to satisfactorily fulfil the requirements of your job role"

My last contract had a section on overtime which basically stated "overtime would be by arrangement with your manager and would be paid bla bla bla...

On Monday 17th September I sent an email to HR:

Dear XXX

I am in receipt of my new contract, before I agree to the new terms and conditions, I have a few queries that I would like you to clarify.

Hours of Work:

Contract states "you may be required to work additional hours from time to time as required to satisfactorily fulfil the requirements of your job role"

In the next line "It is not Company policy to pay any additional payments for hours worked in excess of your standard hours of work"

Are you saying that Unipart are expecting me to work additional hours when required without pay.

Holidays:

My annual holiday entitlement before the change was 22 days pro rata (I work 3 days per week), if my calculations are correct (22 divided by 5 x 3 = 13.2) equates to 13.2 days. Can you please confirm that as my holiday entitlement is now 25 days pro rata (25 divided by 5 x 3 = 15 annually) from September 10th 2007 I would be entitled to an extra 1.8 days holiday until the end of the year.

Please can you address the above issues at your earliest convenience.

a week passed by and I had not heard anything, so I rang HR and asked if XXXX was there, I was told xxxx was off on sick leave (bearing in mind this person I sent the email to is head of HR) I asked in her absence does no one read her emails, as I explained that I had sent an email a week earlier. She said no.

I then resent the email to another member of HR who would be able to deal with the issues, this was sent Monday 17th September...

I have still not had a reply to my email, now I know she has received the email as I rang HR last Thursday to make sure.

Now where do I stand, I have rang my Union whom have told me to send the contract back UNSIGNED with a letter stating that I had sent emails regarding the contract and no body has bothered to respond...

Now my question is:

1) As the change over date had passed and I am theoretically working under the new changes, would it be deemed to be accepting the new terms and conditions in my contract whether I signed the new contract or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, firstly I have to say that the clause regarding extra hours is a fairly standard one when applied to salaried administration posts - in fact the contracts I issue have just such a clause. However - when employees do work extra time it is usually on a "give and take" basis and they are allowed the time in lieu (although this is not specified in the contract, but by custom and practice). If this is what your employer has in mind - you will need to have this clarified by your manager.

Does your contract specify the new holiday allowance?

If you do not agree with the terms of your new contract as they are not how you understood them during consultation -you will need to go back to the negotiation stage.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

No, you have clearly not accepted the contract as you have, twice-maybe three times as you have sought advice from your union, disputed some terms.

It is your employers problem if they don't deal with your issues.

The change over date appears to have been imposed upon you as you received the contract after the date.:???:

Stick to your original contract-and hours unfortunately.

Also, even if you had signed the contract, but dispute it, you could argue you merely signed to show 'receipt' of the contract and not to be bound by it.

You have to consider the pros and cons of the old contract and new one.

You could work under the new contract, under protest, and sue for breach of contract (of the original contract).

• Haha 1

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated..

to date I have been working the 20 hour week which is the new contract hours..which was agreed..previous contract was for 24 hours..

Ell-enn Yes they increased my annual holiday entitlement, because the department we come under now has 25 days annual holiday, hence the reason for the holiday question.

Overtime was never discussed when we agreed the change over terms...

Although I have no problem if they want to scrap overtime in general...but the way i understand the new contract is they are going to expect me to work additional hours when required to fulfil my job role (also we have stock take twice a year whereby extra hours are always a must) but they are not going to pay me for the overtime...

surely a company cannot expect an employee to work extra/overtime for free...

I need to know what do I do with the contract? do I send it back to HR with a letter (if this is the case any help composing the letter would be appreciated)

My union membership is totally independent to my company, believe it or not we have 9,000 employees and you would not believe the way HR conducted the Reconstruction was beggars belief.

If I did not enjoy my job, I would have taken them to the cleaners.

If i were to work under protest would I have to inform HR?

thanks

Hi Nannamoon1 (luv the avatar lol).

Can you give me a little more background about the reorganisation process please. i.e. how were you informed ? if it was verbally at a meeting was this followed up by confirmation in writing of the proposed changes? Also what was the timescale between you being formally notified and the actual implementation date?

apologies if it seems I am asking a lot of questions - but I need to know as full a picture as possible to be able to advise you properly.

Ell-enn

• Haha 1

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Here you go...LOL

the only thing I have had in writing was the FAQ 17 pages with a covering letter from HR.

Tuesday July 31 2007

At 9.00am I was informed by XXX “Branch Manager” that there was a conference call in approx. 25 min. & could I call XXX with the password and ask her to listen as well.

After listening to the conference call I was given a Q & A document to read, XXX then informed me that our (myself, XXX & XXX) one to one consultation meetings would be at xxxxx tomorrow (Wednesday August 1st 2007) at 10am 10.30am & 11.00am. I was told that XXX, HR & someone from security would be at the meeting.

Wednesday August 1 2007

Arrived at xxxx Branch with xxxxx & xxxx, my one to one consultation was at 11am. xxxxx conducted the one 2 one consultation, there was no one from HR or Security present as previously advised.

xxxxx asked me to read through the typed up version of the conference call I had listened to the previous day, after I had read the document xxxx asked me if I had understood what was happening and was there anything that I did not understand, I said that I fully understood what was happening and that xxxx was condensing the office staff to improve cash flow, by this there was going to be some redundancies throughout the company.

I was then given a folder in which xxxx talked me through several of the documents, the documents that I was shown were:

1) The current structure of all the branches within the company by region

2) The decision tree (the selection process which would be used to decide if an employee were successful or unsuccessful

3) Vacant positions within the company which we could apply for

4) The proposed new branch structure which showed the allocated hours and the head count

5) A job description (which is exactly the same job role as I am currently doing)

I noticed that xxx had a head count of 2 and an allocation of 60 hours, this obviously meant that there were going to be some sort of cuts in our branch.

xxxx asked me what my preferred choice would be, I told xxxx my preferred choice would be that I keep my own job, he said “ok” I told xxxx that I felt the uncertainty of whether I was going to be kept on was a nightmare. I asked xxxx when were we going to be told the decision, xxxx replied that I would be told either Thursday 9th August or Friday 10 August, I then asked xxx how were we going to be told, xxx said that he did not know how we were going to be told, and he would let me know.

Tuesday 7 August 2007

I phoned xxxx at work to discuss a work issue with him, he said that he was just about to call me, xxx then said that due to the feedback from the one 2 one consultation meeting the decision date had been put back a week, thus it now being Thursday 16th or Friday 17th August 2007.I told xxxx that I felt that this was totally unfair and unprofessional & this would mean that I could have to wait just over 2 weeks from the one to one meeting until I would know if I had been successful in keeping my job. I then asked xxxx what method I was going to be told, xxxx said that he did not know how we were going to be told & he would let me know, I said that this was ridiculous and the process so far was a shambles. xxxx did not reply.

Tuesday 14 August 2007

xxxxx called me on my mobile phone to tell me that a decision had now been made. The allocation for xxxx was going to be 80 hours with a head count of 3, this of course had changed from what the original “decision tree” had stated at my one 2 one consultation meeting. Xxxx then went on to say that I would have to decrease my hours from 24 to 20, it also meant that xxx would have to Increase her hours from 16 to 20 and xxx then told me that xxx would remain on 40 hours. I asked xxx for what reason did I have to decrease my hours, he said that the new office structure meant that all office positions would either be on a 20 hour or 40 hour contract there was not in between.

I asked xxx to explain how this was deemed to be a fair selection process as, I was of the understanding that the selection process was purely on the competency matrix, which you had gone through with me at my one to one meeting. Xxx did not comment. I made it clear that I was not happy about the decision of having to decrease my hours, as why should I have to decrease my hours when xxx who had only been with the company for 6 weeks was staying on her contracted hours of 40. I asked xxx why could xxx not decrease her hours, he said that the standard hours are 20 hour or 40 hour contract, I asked xxx what difference would it make if I continued to do 24 hours and Linda stayed on her 16 hours, that is still within the allocation of 40 hours (and xxx on her 40) I said it makes no odds to the job role. xxxx just repeated it is 20 hours or 40 hours. xxxx asked me to make a decision, I told xxx that I was unable to make a decision there and then as I was not happy, and that I had to have time to think things over and review my options. xxx said that he wanted to have everything relating to the reconstruction finalised by the end of the week. I again told xxx I was unable to make a decision there and then, and he would be totally unreasonable to expect this of me.

Xxxx asked me to ring him in the morning (Wednesday 15th August) to give him my answer, at this stage I felt pressurised as not only did xxxx want me to make an on the spot decision, but he then wanted me to give him an answer the next day which was less than 24 hours after him telling my the outcome of the one 2 one consultation meeting. I felt that this again was unreasonable and totally unfair.

Wednesday 15th August 2007

My day off, around 9am xxxx rang me on my mobile to ask if I would consider a 30 hour contract, I said that xxxx had told me that office positions were either a 20 or 40 hour contract throughout the company. xxxx said that they were prepared to agree to a 30 hours contract, I said that I would be happy to consider the 30 hour contract, but would need to discuss this with xxxx to see if I was able to increase my hours due to the fact xxxx was still young (only being 4). I said that I would have to get back to her once I had spoken with xxx.

xxx asked could I not make a decision there and then, I said “no” this was impossible as I wanted to have time to think about it, and I wanted to talk it over with xxx, xxx said it is only another 6 hours, you are probably doing that now, but the difference is that where you are not getting paid for the extra hours you do now, you would obviously be getting paid. I said I was not prepared to make an on the spot decision and that I would get back to her as soon as I had spoken to xxx, I told xxx that I felt this was unreasonable to ask me to make an immediate decision and felt pressurised. xxxx then said “look we really do not want to lose you” I said I was flattered with her comment, but I still had to have time to consider whether the 30 hours would be suitable, xxx said that they wanted to finalise the process of the reconstruction by the end of the week. I told xxx that I would try and ring her back as soon as possible, she asked “well how long” I said “I cannot tell you” but I will try and get in contact with xxx and get back to you as soon as possible.

I rang xxxx back on her mobile after about an hour, she answered with “hello nannamoon and your decision” I asked xxx could I just ask another question before I consider the 30 hour contract, xxx said “yes” I asked if I took the 30 hour contract would I still be able to continue to work the flexible hours that I am currently working now, and have been doing for the last 22 months without a problem. xxxx said “you are now asking the impossible” I said “I am not but I need to make sure that I can continue working flexible hours” xxx replied that the core hours were 8.30am -5.30pm, I told xxx if you want me to do set hours within the core hours then I would not be able to commit to the 30 hour contract. xxx said “what hours do you do now” I replied I work Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, but within those days the hours were totally flexible & as long as I worked my 24 hours & the work was done there had never been a problem. xxx then said that she would have to get back to me regarding this.

xxx did ring, but I decide not to answer the phone as by this stage I was fed up with the whole situation. I could not see what the company were trying to achieve by decreasing my hours from 24 to 20 and xxxx from 16 to 24 after all the allocation was 80 hours with xxx staying at 40 what difference does it make if I stay on 24 and xxx stays on 16 it is still head count of 3 and 80 hours.

xxxx called me on my mobile and said “are you causing trouble” I said “no I am not causing trouble, but I am totally unhappy about the way this reconstruction has been conducted” I said that I personally feel let down by the company, and that I see no relevance as to why you are cutting my hours down and increasing xxx it makes no difference who does what hours, as long as it is within the allocated hours of the branch. I went on to say that I felt that the selection process had not been fair, as you (xxx) showed me the decision tree/selection process at my one 2 one meeting, and this has not been followed as xxx had only got 17% in her appraisal/competency matrix score, which according to the decision tree xxx should have gone down the right hand column. xxxxx went on to say that this was not possible as it would be deemed to be unfair, as she had only been with the company for 6 weeks.

Xxxx went on to tell me that he did not want to lose me, and asked me what I wanted, I said that I want to remain on 24 hours and be able to work flexible hours, to which I have never been a problem, I then told xxxx that I have the biggest cash collection target in the region and not only do I hit my target but more often than not I exceed my target, I said that I always get the stock reconciliation figures finished on time, I said that I consider that I run the office to a very high standard and everything always gets done, I also said that I am always fully committed and give 100%

Xxx replied with ok, you got what you want, you can stay on the 24 hour contract and continue working flexible hours, I said “great I will not let you down” xxxx replied “I know that”. I asked if he could confirm what he had just said by dropping me an email, he said “you send me an email first so that I have your email address and I will send you one back confirming the above” I thought great, I sent him the email.

xxxx called me back within 10 min to say that he was not able to agree to the 24 hour contract, as HR had said that it would be deemed to be unfair, it was a 20 hour, 30 hour or 40 hour contract, but if I took the 30 hour contract I could continue working flexible hours. xxxx said that he would not be able to confirm anything in an email or writing as HR would not allow this. I told xxxx that if I could not have anything in writing to confirm what we had discussed then, I would not be able to agree to work the 30 hours. xxxx replied fair enough.

I decided to send xxxx an email to confirm that I would be willing to consider increasing my hours from 24 to 30, providing that my current hourly rate would remain the same, my annual holiday entitlement would remain unchanged and that I would be able to continue to work flexible hours. I said that should the above differ to the new contract, then I would have to reconsider the position.

Thursday 16th August 2007

xxxx rang me at work to tell me that the 30 hour contract had been agreed, and I would receive my new contract to my home address by Friday 24 August 2007, xxxx also said that the reconstruction of the office staff would go live on Monday 10th September 2007. I said “ok” xxxx then went on to say that he now needed to discuss, what hours I would be doing each week, as this had to be put in the new contract. I said that we had discussed and you had agreed that I could continue working flexible hours on Monday 13th August 2007. xxxx went on to say that he had to agree something with me as the hours would have to be put into my new contract. xxxx also said that he was still willing to let me do the flexible hours, but the contract had to say what hours I would be working each week. xxx repeated “it does not matter what is written in your contract, we can still agree to you working flexible hours”. I told xxx that I was not prepared to agree to this and if this was the case then I would not be willing to consider the 30 hour contract, I also told xxx that my current contract does say that the hours to be agreed with your branch manager, I also told xxxx, that the only reason that I would be willing to consider the 30 hour contract was that I could continue working flexible hours, which have never caused a problem before. xxxx then said that he would have to speak to HR and then get back to me. I asked xxxx how many staff were going to be made redundant he replied approx. 50.

I sent xxxx an email confirming the conversation.

Monday August 20 2007

xxxx was at the branch, we had yet another conversation about the reconstruction, I told him that I was extremely unhappy and that I felt very let down by the company, as to the way they have conducted this whole reconstruction process. I also told xxxxx that I felt that I was being forced into having to take a 30 hour contract or drop to a 20 hour contract and be at a financial loss. I asked xxxx “what are the company trying to achieve other than cutting costs by reducing the amount of office staff. I also asked him what are the company hoping to achieve by standardising the hours at 20 30 or 40, and I asked him again what difference does it make, if I remain on my 24 hour contract and xxx on her 16 hour contract.

xxxx said that the company needed to increase their cash flow, and when office staff are on holiday or off sick, things like the banking, age debt suffers, which then causes a cash flow problem for the company, he said that by standardising the hours, and staff at other branches covering holidays and sickness this would help resolve the cash flow problem. I said but can you explain how standardising the hours to 20, 30 or 40 help the problem, then, I said that I felt that standardising the hours would not in fact make any difference to if you made it 25 35 or 40, changing the hour structure is not actually going to improve cash flow in my opinion.

I also asked xxxx if a branch covered for another branch due to holiday or sickness then how would the person covering for that branch maintain their own daily functions surely this would have an impact on their own branch. xxxx replied with “that’s why xxx Branch have a head count of 3” I then asked xxx if xxx was going to be the branch whereby they would be called upon every time another branch needed cover, xxx did not answer the question.

xxx then dropped the bomb shell by saying that he had just been told that xxxx are going to have to either oversee the office functions, or help out with the duties at xxxx. I asked xxxx what exactly he meant by this as he had never mentioned this before and it was not listed in the new job description, yet he expected me to verbally agree to a new contract. Xxxx said that he had only just been informed that xxxx would have to do take on this duty. I asked xxxx if he could find out what we are going to have to do and how often would we have to go to xxxx.

I again told xxxx how disappointed I felt with the way this reconstruction had been conducted, I then asked xxxx why did he take on a full time person only 6 weeks ago when I had many times told him that we did not need a full timer and that a part timer would be more than adequate, I also said that he was fully aware that the reconstruction was going to take place when he took xxxx, yet she is being kept on with no change to her contracted hours, but I have to decrease my hours, where is this fair. Xxxx did not reply.

Xxx then touched on holiday entitlement, he asked me how many days do I get, I replied with 22 but obviously this is pro rated as I am part time, he said this is another problem, I bluntly said, “lets not go down this route, because if you are trying to say that I am going to have to decrease my annual holiday entitlement, then you are having a laugh, because there is no way I am going to agree to this”

Tuesday 21st August 2007

I rang xxx to ask further questions on covering xxxx as I need to be totally clear of what is going to be expected, I asked xxxx if he had any further information, xxxx said that he did not have any other information as it was new to him and nothing had been agreed. I told xxxx this was unreasonable and unfair. xxxx said he would let me know as soon as he had heard what we were going to be expected to do.

xxxx rang me at work to ask me if he was correct in thinking that I am not prepared to give an answer either way regarding the 30 hour contract until I receive something in writing stating the terms and conditions of the new role. I said “yes that is correct” xxxx then said in that case I would have to get in touch with HR and get back to me, at this point I told xxxx that I was not being awkward, but I needed to protect myself and my interests. I also told xxx that whatever the outcome of this reconstruction, I would continue to be fully committed to xxx and like always give 100%.

I received a letter from HR enclosing a 17 page FAQ document, after reading the FAQ I felt that I had been deprived of knowing that there was a possibility that I could be kept on the same gross salary but with the reduced hours of 20.

I sent xxxx a text stating that I had made a decision and could he give me a call. xxxx called and I said that I had received this 17 page FAQ document through the post from HR. xxxx went very quite & said that he did not think that this document was going to be sent out; I said well it has & I had it in front of me.

I went on to inform xxxx I felt that at this time I did not think I could commit to the 30 hour contract, as xxx was still young and I felt that he needed me. I informed xxxx that after reading the FAQ it was apparent that I had not been given all the options available to me, the first being that when he informed me that I had to decrease my hours from 24 to 20 & my gross salary would be decreased accordingly, he did not make me aware, that in exceptional circumstances, and where competency level was high, current salary would be maintained, this made me feel that xxxx had be withholding this information from me.

I told xxxx that I felt that I was an exceptional case, as I had achieved a high competency level at my appraisal, I then went on to say that I would be prepared to accept the 20 hour role in line with the new structural changes, providing I could maintain my current gross salary. I asked xxxx if he would like me to quote the relevant paragraph in the FAQ, xxxx replied with “no I know the exact paragraph you are talking about”. xxxx then said that he would have to get back in touch with HR and as it was now 4.50pm it was doubtful he would be able to get hold of anyone until tomorrow. I asked xxxx when he would let me know if this was acceptable, xxxxx replied with by Friday (24th August) at the latest.

Friday 24th August

No phone call as promised by XXX

Thanks for that.... I'll have a good read through it all and reply tomorrow if that's ok. I have to go and pick my son and daughter in law up from a wedding reception in a little while so will be late back and I'd rather read it when I'm reasonably awake lol.

Hi there, can you just confirm for me that you are now being asked to work 20 hours but be paid the same as when you were working 24 hours? (that's how I read it, but I just want to be sure), also your holiday entitlement is being increased from 22 days to 25 days pro rata?

Ell-enn

Hi there, can you just confirm for me that you are now being asked to work 20 hours but be paid the same as when you were working 24 hours? (that's how I read it, but I just want to be sure), also your holiday entitlement is being increased from 22 days to 25 days pro rata?

Ell-enn

Hi,

Yes you are totally correct, I sat tight until the week before change over digging my heals in, they finally offered me 20 hour contract (I was not happy in any case as reducing my hours is detrimental to the job role (I am in charge of the office) but though "oh well I have to do less hours for the same money")

The problem I have now is the overtime clause, as said I have no problem do any overtime (in fact I like to do overtime) but as you see the way they have worded it, it seems they are expecting me to work overtime unpaid LOL.

My annual leave has been increased from 22 to 25 pro rata, and I what I am asking is "I should be entitled to the difference in leave from September (when the change over took place) until 31st December which is when our leave entitlement ends for the year.

As said they have not followed any kind of procedures, they made 30-50 people redundant, I know they have not followed the correct employment procedures, as if there are more than 20 persons being made redundant there is a different policy to follow..

I am not sure what I should do with this new contract, as at present they are just ignoring my emails, I refuse to discuss the issue over the phone, as they tend to like this sort of discussion to resolve things.

nannamoon1

To be honest with you I think you may have come out of this better than a lot of your colleagues... being paid for 24 hours and only working 20 - even if you have to work a few hours overtime every now and again, surely that's a winning situation ? (unless you have to work 4 hours overtime each week which I would imagine is highly unlikely). A lot of employers have the unpaid overtime clause in their contracts of employment - I actually issue the same thing to administration staff, but they take the time in lieu and are not paid up front as you will be.

I think the holiday entitlement is another plus - but you do need to clarify when it takes effect - If I had issued the contract the holiday entitlement would have started from commencement of the new terms and conditions, but as I said - you need to clarify this.

From what I can gather they seem to have followed the right procedure in advising you of the restructure in plenty of time - employers have the right to make redundancies where it is necessary for the business need.

However, you do have cause for complaint regarding how you personally have been kept informed since the initial consultation and you need to follow that complaint through - although I don't know what you will gain from the process apart from an apology.

Thanks for the replies,

I am not sure I explained myself properly, I totally agree with the drop in ohurs and stay on the same salary, and as for the holiday, yes I was not expecting that.

The overtime, I have to point out that they do not want me to take time off in lou either, we have stock take coming up October, and I will be expected to stay say 3/4 hours per week for the month of October, would you work unpaid? (and thats not meant to be sarcastic LOL)

i do not have a problem doing overtime either I get paid or I take the time of in lou, i am not prepared to work unpaid...but my point is if I sign the contract, it states this...

The contract actually states that the changes are effective from September 10th so the holiday should increase for the remainder of the year..

just to pint out that you say they have followed procedures, they had a selection criteria in place a "decision tree" whereby if you got less than 55% you would be considered if you could do another role within the company if not redundant...

One of my assistants got 17% bet she kept her job, how is that following procedures?

My other assistant got her new contract that state the same hours as her old contract 16 hours, I was told I could only have a 20, 30, or 40 hour contract as this was part of the new structure...how is that following procedures?

I was not allowed to keep my 24 hours

Ok I am happy with the result, but i had to fight for it...

But I am just stating that they had not followed the correct procedures...plus I had not one thing in writing..all verbal...

I understand that you have to work 3/4 hours extra per week for the month of October - but it's not unpaid is it? you are being paid for 24 hours per week. Even if you have to work 3/4 hours per week for half of the year you are still in a winning situation.

Regarding the procedure - as I said, you can take this through your employers internal complaints procedure (grievance procedure?) but they may decide to change your t&c's again - i.e. only pay you for hours worked and pay overtime for the 4 weeks a year that you have to do extra hours, so I would think carefully about what you want to achieve.

I understand that you have to work 3/4 hours extra per week for the month of October - but it's not unpaid is it? you are being paid for 24 hours per week. Even if you have to work 3/4 hours per week for half of the year you are still in a winning situation.

Regarding the procedure - as I said, you can take this through your employers internal complaints procedure (grievance procedure?) but they may decide to change your t&c's again - i.e. only pay you for hours worked and pay overtime for the 4 weeks a year that you have to do extra hours, so I would think carefully about what you want to achieve.

I am getting paid for a 20 hours week, thats what the new contract states, i will always be expected to do overtime, as I have one assistant that is not good enough for the job, and my boss has not got the guts LOL to get rid of her, therefore to fulfil the job role i will have to do overtime, but I am not working unpaid..so unfortunately it is not just the month of October where overtime will be expected, I have a debt target to meet, i have figures to produce at a certain time of the month, so I guess these wont get done.

As said, i would not have a problem with taking time off in lou, but they cannot have it both ways, expect me to work overtime for nothing..

The fact that they do not even reply to my emails is a disgrace, how can the problem be resolved?

I will send the contract back this week, unsigned with a letter and copies of the emails and ask why they have chose not to respond.

They are welcome to try and negotiate new T&C but I have to be in agreement with the changes.

Statutory holiday entitlement increases from tomorrow, 01/10/07, so it's not your company who is increasing your holiday-it's the law.

I personally would never agree to work unpaid which is what they are telling you by not paying overtime. What is wrong with muppets like this?

In effect, you the employee, are paying your employer to do their work!:???:

If there is more work to do than what your paid hours provide for then blooming well get paid for it! Situations like this can lead to unscruplious employers avioding the minimum wage.

It's a disgrace.