• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

logbook loans - bill of sale

anon2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have done a search and cant find what i am looking for.

Can someone please advise me on how best to check the legalities of my bil of sale, or point me to a relevant thread?

Very much appreciated.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES

1/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL

HALIFAX

7/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL

CAPITAL ONE

5/10/06 SETTLED IN FULL

NatWest

7/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL

ULSTER BANK

8/8/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

28/09/06 Prelim sent

18/09/07 Claim filed at court

1st check to see if the bill was registered:

Check registration with the Royal Courts of Justice

The bill of sale must be filed with the court within seven days of execution, the bill will also lapse unless it is re-registered after five years. As registration is complex and cumbersome many lenders do not bother doing it.

· Make a written application (no internet service) with a £5 fee (obviously best if recorded/special/registered delivery)

· Provide the name and address of themselves and the other party

· It is likely that they will receive a response within a couple of days.

· The address is Judgement and Orders Section, Room E15, Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL

If it is, we can check the validity of the agreement; if you can scan it up and post it on here (removing personal items such as name/address etc) we will be able to take a look for you :)

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am totally new to the site, so firstly a big hello to all :-)

Ok, so here's the story. My partner left me, and I had really bad credit so I took out a loan with LBL (silly I know) Anyway, in December 2007 my car was clamped at 5am in the morning by Anglia, luckily for me, my dad paid the £1800 (which I have had to pay back) but now I am struggling again and have received another final demand.

I have also just changed address and informed LBL, who said they will send out my log book so I can amend the details and then I have to send back to them.

The question I now have, is will the original bill of sale be valid as the Logbook details are now different? Does this mean I can sell the car and arrange to pay LBL their money back at a rate that I can afford? The current payments of £90 a week are crippling me.

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hi, can anyone tell me what happens if I have a log book loan on my £4000 car, Then my car breaksdown costing, say, £2500 to repair & I stop paying the loan?

Will they take my car then cancel the loan?

• 2 weeks later...

No they will take the car, sell it on for next to nothing (sometimes at auction, sometimes to their mates to sell on when instructed) and then pursue you for thousands more.

Unless of course you strike the first legal blow!

• 1 year later...
1st check to see if the bill was registered:

Check registration with the Royal Courts of Justice

The bill of sale must be filed with the court within seven days of execution, the bill will also lapse unless it is re-registered after five years. As registration is complex and cumbersome many lenders do not bother doing it.

· Make a written application (no internet service) with a £5 fee (obviously best if recorded/special/registered delivery)

· Provide the name and address of themselves and the other party

· It is likely that they will receive a response within a couple of days.

· The address is Judgement and Orders Section, Room E15, Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL

If it is, we can check the validity of the agreement; if you can scan it up and post it on here (removing personal items such as name/address etc) we will be able to take a look for you :)

DOES THE BILL OF SALE NEED TO BE SEALED BY THE COURT WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE DATE OF CREDIT AGREEMENT???

yes not working days-clear days. Hint you need the check the stamp on the bill. Remember, that if the bill is Void-LBL will clamp/take the car anyway-they are a law to themselves- well its not LBL-they use a third party AGENTS not Baliffs

So you need to hide it. (the car)

If the BoS is Void, the CCA is still in effect.

Please have a good read of the posts, you will find loads of info.

trooper68

Trooper68:)

Got a cpy of the bill of sale.

1) Its witnessed by a clerk of the car company.

2) Agreement is dated 20th April 2007

3) BOS is 20th April 2007

4) Sword affidavit by clerk of garage 25th April 2007

5) Sealed by Royal Court of Justice 3rd May 2007 (it has a seal by the Supreme Court dated 3rd May 2007)

Is this bill of sale enforceable?, bearing in mind that the agreement was paid off in full by the claim in bankruptcy???

I still have the car and there is one months arrears.

I have been served a default notice, still have time to remedy it.

Please can someone help?

BoS is Void-8 Days, now as the BoS is void you need to get it stated as such via the court. Now the CCA that is with it is still enforcable, you can fight that, but they SHOULD have a court order to take the car, but don't need one if you have paid less than a THIRD back.

Get the BoS Void-copy it, and get a letter (reg) off to LBL and tell them. Covering your backside-tell them that the account is in disrepute and they cannot take the car without a court order (unless you have paid less that a third). Get this you will have a fight on your hands.

Also it might be an idea to SAR them-you never know what might appear...

trooper68

How do I apply to the court that the Bill of Sale is null and void?

I have already written to them stating that the owe be over 5k in overpayments, the bill of sale is void, and that the credit agreement was claimed in bankruptcy.

any further ideas?

• 1 month later...

Anyone seeking to get a Declaration from the Courts for BOS's that they believe to be unenforceable must notify the lender of your intention to take the matter to court before you take action against them. A letter giving them 14 days notice is all you need to do. Head your Letter 'Notice of Intended Court Action' give your reasons formally and in keeping with the Law. It would appear they tend to ignore letters that are not 'direct'.

When you apply to court - just use an ordinary general claim form.

Your request on the claim form will be for a 'Declaration that the bill of sale is void for want of registration'.

Attach your proof and wait for the court date.

Your proof ideally must be:

a) The 'registered' Bill of Sale with the affidavit etc

b) A copy of a letter from the HCJ that confirms that no PF182 document exists

c) copy of the Notice of Intent letter

Other's may advise differently....

If you have paid more than a third under any credit agreement for a car -the lender is not entitled to recover the vehicle without a court order - both the CCA 1974 supports this fact and the BOS ACT 1882 at Section 7a refers you to the CCA 1974 for total clarification.

In your case if they are fool enough to take your car once you notify them of intended court action - they will end up having to repay you for the car as well!!

If they do take the car whilst proceedings ensue - simply notify the court and apply to recover the costs of the vehicle alongside the declaration.

Trading Standards have advised me that all agreements that are for sums over £30 are conditional sale agreements and are governed by the CCA 1974/2006 and therefore like trooper says - where you have paid more than a third - and they have unlawfully taken action to seize your vehicle - the law is that you will be entitled to recover the monies paid under the Agreement.

I hope this helps?

Apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Oh let me quickly say - even if you have paid less than a third under the Agreement - the Bill of Sale itself at section 7a refers the lender to the CCA which guides the lender that they must have served a valid default notice etc and gained a court order - so there is no way they can defer from getting a court order first...

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Got a cpy of the bill of sale.

1) Its witnessed by a clerk of the car company.

2) Agreement is dated 20th April 2007

3) BOS is 20th April 2007

4) Sword affidavit by clerk of garage 25th April 2007

5) Sealed by Royal Court of Justice 3rd May 2007 (it has a seal by the Supreme Court dated 3rd May 2007)

Is this bill of sale enforceable?, bearing in mind that the agreement was paid off in full by the claim in bankruptcy??? WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE CREDIT AGREEMENT WAS IN BANKRUPTCY AND SMALL DIVIDEND PAID OUT, HENCE AGREEMENT ENDED AT THIS TIME?

I still have the car and there is one months arrears.

I have been served a default notice, still have time to remedy it.

Please can someone help?

Any suggestions about the above? as there is no credit agreement and the Bill of Sale is sealed on the 8th Day should I still apply to the court for a declaration?

Perhaps I need to see a Barrister????:confused:

PS. I HAVE PAID OVER A THIRD AND ONLY HAVE 12 MONTHS TO GO. I also continued paying after a claim was made in Bankrupty, hence effectively overpaying for over 3 years!!!

Hi Emanevs

who is bankrupt? who are you paying, is it LBL or a thirdparty like a DCA?

Your first move is to get the BOS void. As the CCA is tied to the BOS if the BoS is invalid then they have to rely on the CCA (usally the CCA is done the same as the BoS-hurried and mistakes are made) Even so, the Law is clear with Credit agreements.

If I was you I would seek legal council and get a clear picture of what lies ahead.

trooper68

should I get the barrister or should I just make a court application for a declaration.

Problem is that I have effectively "overpaid". What I mean by this is that:

1) The bill of sale is without doubt null and void - 8 days.

2) The credit agreement ended in Bankruptcy, as they made a claim in my Bankruptcy nearly three years ago and were paid out a dividend (not full amount though)

3) I have been paying this firm for nearly three years, when clearly I didnt need to beacuse the credit agreement ended in BR.

I also want to declare the Bill of Sale null and void, and reclaim over £5000 in overpaying them.

Any thoughts???

Ahhh-now i get you, so in effect they have been paid twice... You will need legal advice, you need to speak to a sol, as this it could be very expensive.

If it was me, the first thing would be the Subject Access Request for all you details-this can take 40 days, but they must give you a copy of everthing they hold on you. Even phone call transcripts.. Do it by Reg letter and don't let it go.

Reply to the default letter-express that you think that you have overpaid-reg the letter to-They have to sign for them and cannot say they have not recieved it.

Look for a sol that deals with consumer law.

HIDE THE CAR, i know they don't play by the rules-if they come a knocking ask them to leave-tell them (there are agents not baliffs) that they are not welcome and you consider it harrasment (again you are protected by law) RECORD THEM if you can. (i wished i did that when they pushed my wife over, long story).

Now i will state that they WILL phone write and be a real pain, threat...allsorts..if you can record them. (it all helps if you go to court)

Now read the posts and do some research-the more you understand the better position you will be in.. Look up CCA 1974 (plus updates) and the BoS act 1878 and amendments-plus backrupcy law-the more you research the better.

Hope this helps

Keep at it bud-don't let them get you down.

trooper68

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

today i received a visit from lbl agents 6.30 am, to find my car was clamped, i put my van in reverse and the clamp fell off, the police was called but because i had not damaged the clamp there was nothing they could do and where not willing to get involved, i have hid my car but don't know what to do next.....any ideas