Uh Oh! Bought a car with outstanding finance...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm ashamed that this has to be my first post but this seemed to be the best place to put this forward!

I recently purchased a car from ebay and like a fool I didn't hpi it prior to paying or collecting the vehicle. Hindsight being a beautiful thing... The seller was pleasant and we got on but the transaction did happen very quickly as it was a short listing too. I deemed the transaction to be in good faith and all was well until this morning curiosity got the better of me and I ran an online check of the vehicle.

It appears that it has outstanding finance from January this year and the seller I purchased the car from had only had the car 1 month. It would be easy to assume that he had bought the car without doing prior checks and sold it on fast in a fit of panic but I will give him the benefit of doubt.

I now have a car in my possession which legally I don't own. Given the time line the previous owner did not legally own the vehicle either but given that he was an innocent party (let's assume this) where does this leave us?

I made the purchase via my credit card through Paypal and as I understand it I could squirm out of this situation under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 especially as there are parts of the car that do not meet certain details of the ebay ad. I did not meet the seller face to face, I paid online, then I went to pick up the car. In the back of my mind I knew that paying via credit card would give me some insurance but do you think that I am covered in this instance?

I genuinely like the car and in an ideal world the one that owes the finance company should pay up and we can all live happily ever after but assuming that doesn't happen, what's my best plan of action?

Thanks all.

• 11 years later...

last post unapproved

thread closed as from 2007!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks