• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Give up smoking - Alan Carr - a different approach well worth it

gyzmo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Alan Carr has a book that gets you to pack in "the easy way"

Essentially it is brainwashing. but if you read it carefully and follow it, you should succeed. I did (but was pretty stupid in not following a bit of advice and started smoking again) and found stopping pretty easy.

It does require a blind belief in everything said. if you start questioning what is written, it probably wont work.

BTW - I don't work for this guy nor am I on commission (honest!) and I am not one for recommending a product, but this really is worth a go.

Good luck all!

Oooh I'm jealous!

i will try again, my problem is that I formulated arguments against what was in the book - self defeatist!

I will give it a month or two (by which time I will have forgotten everything in it I hope) and try to get myself brainwashed again!

• 2 weeks later...

9 years on October 1st since I gave up after reading this book.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 year later...

'The easy way' worked for me too, i wouldnt call it brainwashing though, it just points things out which should be obvious but are ignored or not understood, i would reccomend this to all smokers, read the last chapter and had my last cig 15 months ago....no problems or desire to smoke since....the biggest problem that a couple of friends had after reading was that they found it so easy that they tested themselves and had a cig to test themselves and inevitably started again.

• 3 weeks later...

Gizzmo,

Get hold of 'The only way to stop smoking' by Allen Carr. It's for people like us that get sucked back in !!!!

Good luck and don't stop stopping

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Doc,

It is the mind set that the 'Stop Smoking' books give you that helps. There is no reason to think the Lose Wight and Stop Drinking books will be any different, so give it a go and let us know how you get on. BTW, the books are cheap enough on ebay.

Good luck, :)

Lex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Am I right in thinking that only one of you has actually succeeded here (as in, not gone back to smoking since). This is just the same as every other method that 'works'...it doesn't work!

Buy yourself an e-cigarette and stop...it's that simple!

Seags

Am I right in thinking that only one of you has actually succeeded here (as in, not gone back to smoking since). This is just the same as every other method that 'works'...it doesn't work!

Buy yourself an e-cigarette and stop...it's that simple!

Seags

Errrrm,

That will be three of us who have stopped !!

Caro, Mark, and me :D

Lex

&

Yep. Not one ciggie for 10 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 20 hours and 43 minutes - not that I'm counting. :D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Allan Carr didn't work for me, I don't think anything will :(

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I went to an Alan Carr session in December, lasted 2 weeks off them, did another session last week, lasted 1 day. Today I havent smoked at all, just trying my best with will power :Cry:

Obviously you haven't understood Allen Carr yet then, because its not about will power. There is nothing to give up.

I have the interactive cd rom for Allen Carr and that is so much better than the book. I found that the book didn't really do anything for me but the cd rom worked a treat.

Accounts Claiming On

Barclays Student Account - SAR received by Barclays 01/0/07

Barlcaycard SAR received by BC 01/03/07

Cahoot Current Account - SAR received by Cahoot 06/03/07

Cahoot Loan - SAR received by Cahoot 06/03/07

Cahoot Credit Card - SAR Received by Cahoot 06/03/07

Natwest Current Account - SAR received by NW 01/03/07

Im back smoking again, after the 2nd session I lasted 3 days. I knew it wasnt working as I was told I couldnt do it on will power alone. I was also told I would not have cravings, but I did and they were bad!

I have the book and am considering reading it soon, I really want to stop but its the irritableness and cravings that I fail on.

You might want to ask yourself if you are being tricked into believing that the cravings are too hard to overcome. Lots of smokers (me included when I was one) use this little crutch to justify continuing to smoke.

Lots of things influence the way we think – and lots of things influence why we smoke or why we think we can’t give up. It has become an accepted fact that giving up smoking will make you ‘crabby’ but its not founded on any other principal than we think it makes us crabby. It only really makes you crabby if you let it – the cravings can be dealt with by some deep breathing exercises.

Does it really make you crabby or are you falling into the trap that makes you believe you should be crabby. I’m sure the tobacco industry would like you to continue thinking it’s too hard to give up – statements like ‘we know it’s hard to give up’ don’t really help do they.

Instead of telling yourself how hard it is to quit try telling yourself that actually it’s pretty easy – so easy that millions of people do it every year – so it can’t be that hard really can it.

I am ready to try just about anything. I know I have been told its mostly in my head and I do partially believe this, but the fact is when I stop smoking, I feel unhappy, irritable and very cross. In the pit of my stomach I feel sick and on edge. After a few days this does lessen but the cravings feel strong and I convince myself I dont really want to stop. I know this isnt true and Im telling myself lies, but I also know im doing this because I just want to end the craving and irritable feeling. Its awful, when I do start again I feel normal again instantly but hate myself.

I did it with Champix because Champix turns off the craving in yopur head, I have also found that I drink far less coffee also, so when they say that it is all in your head, they are right, it is :-) I would recommend Champix all the way, I was a 30 - 40 smoker for 25 years and I gave up on 10th September 2008 havnt had one or wanted one since !!

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 4 months later...

I gave up 6 years ago the Allan Carr way. I have NEVER craved or wanted a cigarette since!! I felt so Free and still do! It is fantastic NEVER having to think about cigarettes EVER only when I remember how much they ruled my life and everything I did!! Changing the way you THINK about cigarettes is the key, not just physically giving up!! No willpower need! Just a choice to make!!! Its as simple as that! Honest! READ IT!

• 2 weeks later...
I gave up 6 years ago the Allan Carr way. I have NEVER craved or wanted a cigarette since!! I felt so Free and still do! It is fantastic NEVER having to think about cigarettes EVER only when I remember how much they ruled my life and everything I did!! Changing the way you THINK about cigarettes is the key, not just physically giving up!! No willpower need! Just a choice to make!!! Its as simple as that! Honest! READ IT!

I gave up a 60 a day habit 15 years ago now, thanks to Allan Carrs method. I actually borrowed a video from the library which I watched one evening and haven't touched a fag since.. It was just Allan Carr sitting in a chair talking away about how to change the way you think about cigarettes and cravings etc.

Can't thank him enough.... otherwise I'd be in worse debt than I am already and looking forward to yet another bout of Bronchitis for Christmas!!

Spam.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

I've attended an Alan Carr clinic and it's great if you go there with an open mind.

Unfortunately I'm also a (recovered) alcoholic, but was drinking at the time and when I got drunk I started smoking again.

But yes, Alan Carr is great.

Data Protection Act sent to Barclays Bank 15 May 06.

Bank statements received 9 May 06. Owed £610 in charges and £31.96 in interest.

Prelim letter sent 15 Jun 06.

Letter Before Action sent 26 Jun 06.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book and gave up smoking for 2 months after it, but then to me came an idea if i can do it then why i should give up right now. An advice read this book if you are sure you want to give up!It helps i'm sure!

Searching for Attorneys Addresses

Edited by crazzycat

Searching for Attorneys Addresses ;)

• 1 month later...

I stopped smoking almost 6 months ago now, I was a fairly heavy for smoker for over 20 years but I will explain what worked for me

( 1 ) YOU MUST REALLY WANT TO STOP

( 2 ) YOU WILL KEEP FAILING IN YOUR ATTEMPTS, DON'T GIVE IN, KEEP TRYING

( 3 ) IT IS LIKE PLAYING A FRUIT MACHINE, YOU WILL IF YOU KEEP TRYING EVENTUALLY HIT THE JACKPOT

( 5 ) A CIGARETTE WILL NOT TAKE AWAY YOUR FEELING OF BORDOM, BUT YOU WILL TRY CONVINCING YOURSELF IT WILL

( 6 ) TRY USING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL APPROACH OF I WILL HAVE TO GOO ALL THAT TIME ( HOURS/DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS ) " AGAIN " IF I NOW HAVE A CIGARETTE.......

This is what did it for me. :-) good luck