• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nat West 3 claims and forced into loan ** WON **

gizmo111
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Have been looking around site and have applied for all my bank statements etc. In 2002 I had an overdraft on my personal account which I think was about 3K but with charges in a very short time shot up to around 6.5K. The ank then insisted that I convert this into a personal loan over 7 years, which I did as I didn't know any better at the time! Can I claim any this loan back ie the interest portion on the charges? As well as the charges. I also had a joint account that was converted into my name on divorce recently - there was an O/d of around 4K of which a lot were charges I estimate around £800, and guess what they insisted that I put this into a loan as well by merging my previous loan.

And I have a credit card with them and I am guessing that this will be about £300. So Mr Nat West is not going to be happy when he receives my claim of around £4.5K

Any advice on the loan would be welcome, I am kind of thinking that I reclaim the interest that I have paid on the charges obver the 4 years and not the interest on what I spent originally. I expect this has been asked before but I have searched and cannot find a relevant answer.

I also have Barclaycard and Citicard to go after and a citicard default to be removed and then I may go after mortgage express for a £5000 redemption penalty.

I will soon be going after a few CC's on my dad's behalf, but I will keep that seperate, as I will the other three above.

I have made a small token donation and will make more when I get that lot above back.

Best wishes to all, and thanks to the mods and people who set up and run the site.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forum. It looks as if you've already read the FAQ and Library materials but do take some time to familiarise youself with the issues thoroughly.

You can recover any unlawful charges that Nat West has imposed on you irrespective of whether they converted your o/d into a loan. As far as interest is concerned, you have two options: You can either recover interest at the statutory (8%) rate in a court claim or claim back the interest you have been charged on the unlawful penalties. There is a spreadsheet in the Library to do this. Have a look and post any questions here.

Thanks for reply

I think with the loan claim I will claim the portion of interest that I was actually charged, as it is a related loss. My memory is telling me that the rate was 9.9% (they told me they were doing me a favour cos I had been such a naughty girl! ha ha). They will obviously wait until I file before settling, but if I claiming what I actually lost as a result of charges can I then add the 8% on to the total claim, when filing at court? As far as I am concerned if I hadn't been charged then I wouldn't have had to pay interest, other than on what I actually owed as a rsult of my own expenditure not their theft. Am I thinking right here?

I will do this in 3 claims anyway, cos with interest I think this alone will be over 5K - never been so impatient to receive a bank statement in my life!

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi,

I have receive statements on one accoun ttoday from June 1999 to Dec 05. There is around £2400 of easily identifiable charges but there is also other charges (excluding service charges and interest) called excess borrowing charges of £3.50 per day and later on unarranged borrowing fees of £14 per period - can I claim these also or just the obvious ones?

Thanks

excess borrowing - i think so

unarranged borrowing - i know so :)

08-05-06 - Data Protection Act sent to NW

08-05-06 - MP letter sent to Oliver Letwin (Cons, Dorset West)

25-05-06 - Statements and Data Protection Act received (14 days)

07-06-06 - Prelim letter sent to S.Higley claiming £1226.03

09-06-06 - LBA sent, due to negative response

29-06-06 - Claim served (Acknowledged 30-06-06)

27-07-06 - NW's Deadline - received 27-07-06

24-08-06 - AQ received and returned - Deadline 08-09-06 - Both returned

20-09-06 - 1st Offer - £850.00 with confidentiality REJECTED

05-10-06 - 2nd Offer - £1456.80 with confidentiality ACCEPTED

• 3 weeks later...

LBA ready for NAt West, I recieved a letter last week saying they will be in touch within 2 weeks etc as they are waiting for statements, could someone check the letter before I send it please. Thankyou

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

I refer to your letter dated 04 July 2006 in which you say that you are unable to respond to my letter dated 26 June 2006 for a further two weeks as you are awaiting copy statements from your central department. I myself have obviously had copies of these statements, which I received from yourselves by 2nd class post, 6 days after making my request. It is therefore beyond belief that it would take yourself more than 3 weeks to be in a position to view them internally. Therefore as you have failed to respond positively to my request for repayment as set out in my letter of 26th June 2006, I have no option but to continue with the targets as set out in that letter.

I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken xxxx plus xxxx you have charged me in overdraft and loan interest for the sum, which you have taken. Total £3314.79. I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges, which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 26th June 2006.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice.

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department.

Yours faithfully,

• 2 weeks later...

I have searched site for answer but cannot find it

I am filling in the form online, but am stuck on the wording what I have below is 1130 words and I cannot see what I can take out. Can anyone help please, thanks.

Claimant has account XXXXXX with Defendant from June 1999 conducted on their standard terms and conditions. Claimant is claiming the return of 3314.79 taken by Defendant in charges over 6 years. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. They are also invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined justification of charges despite repeated requests. Claimant claims interest under Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 07/02/2000 to 22/07/2006 of 1206.73 and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a dailyrate of 0.729 pence.

Charges 2176.50

Interest 1138.29

Total 3314.79

s69 Interest on total 1206.73

Total 4521.52

Try this:

I have an account no. (a/c number) with the defendant which was opened on ??/??/?? and is conducted on their standard terms and conditions. I claim the return of (£xxxxx) taken by the defendant in the way of charges and the interest levied on those charges. The bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and thus unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs. 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable as per the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. I bank have repeatedly declined to justify these charges.The claimant claims interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from x/xx/xx to x/xx/xx of (£xxxx) and interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of (£....).

Ihave a £7K limit on my personal account, at present I am £7k in credit, and I need to spend £11k in the next 3 weeks, (having a lot of work done on house - hence the big credit) I have filed MCOL for 4641 yesterday, which will when esolved basically leave me in credit. My question is will NW reduce or remove my OD limit. Should I move the £11K now to another bank acount, so I can get it, if I do that I will be paying interest on £4k. I have read through posts and NW to not seem to be retaliating but my builder will not be very happy if I leave the money there and they retaliate and he doesn't get paid. Do they have to write to me with 28 days notice of withdrawal of facility and I then put the account in dispute or wil they just review and reduce it?

Received standard letter from NAt West last week in response to LBA. Money Claim issued today for 4641.52 including costs.

Bit confused - do I send the schedule of cahrges to Northampton or do I wait until it is listed at my local court?

Yes, its in the Banking Code. Unlikely they'll reduce it. What you might want to do is switch your account to another bank who should match overdraft facilities like for like

Is that yes to the 28 days notice? When they pay out I won't need the overdraft or limit, I have a basic parachute account but don't really want to use it. I have a CCJ that will go off my CRF in Oct and was thinking of changing then to a decent account - if such a thing exists. I have had no charges on this account since 2004.

Hi Gizmo,

One of my 3 claims against Nat West was issued a few days ago, similar sum. Lets correlate the results. I have an earlier claim with similar sum with a defence lodged. It will be interesting if the second claim follows the first word for word, result for result as well as if your is also identical.

Its WAR

"Claimant claims interest under Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 07/02/2000 to 22/07/2006 of 1206.73 and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a dailyrate of 0.729 pence."

If I change the dates and values above so as to suit my claim, is the 0.729 pence thing still correct? I'm a bit stuck here. Help! :)

NatWest:

6/6/06 - Data Protection Act sent - £10 paid.

8/6/06 - Data Protection Act & £10 signed for.

29/6/06 - Statements received.

30/6/06 - Prelim letter £1397.94

11/7/06 - Prelim letter rejected

12/7/06 - Sent LBA

18/7/06 - LBA Rejected

24/7/06 - Moneyclaim £1779.56

31/8/06 - AQ Received

1/9/06 - Sent AQ + £100 (New Total: £1879.56)

16/9/06 - Received Cobbetts AQ

19/9/06 - Offer £1000 (Rejected)

22/9/06 - Settled in FULL £1879.56 (with disclosure)

Capital One:

6/6/06 - Data Protection Act sent

1/9/06 - Settled in FULL £775.37 (Default NOT removed)

Also, I can't remember when I opened my account with NatWest, can I just put:

I have an account no. (a/c number) with the defendant and is conducted on their standard terms and conditions.

NatWest:

12/7/06 - Sent LBA

18/7/06 - LBA Rejected

31/8/06 - AQ Received

Capital One:

Thanks alan. :)

I just rang up NatWest and asked anyway so I have the date now. If you see my Delorean vs NatWest thread, there's a couple more questions in there.

If you or anyone can help that would be marvellous. I'm sat here ready to click click click!! :)

NatWest:

12/7/06 - Sent LBA

18/7/06 - LBA Rejected

31/8/06 - AQ Received

Capital One:

Nat West acknowledgement of service 27/07/06 - intend to defend in full reckon that is 24/08 - my wedding anniversary what a nice present!

Joint account - still no statements - non compliance DPA to be handed in to branch 9.00 am Monday morning.

I am tomorrow intending to issue a claim against Nat West for non-compliance on a joint account I estimate charges to be around £650. The template is too long for MCOL so do I just download the N1 and send to the local county court with the fee. Do I send this recored or do I have to go to the court with forms? I am claiming £19.50 which is 2hours at £9.25 and £1.00 recorded fee that I used on the reminder on 24/07. ?

Thanks

So i rang the bank to find out what had happened and very sheepishly they saidthat thye would get statements to me by end of week. So Ithink this one I will just complain to ICO provided statements are here by Friday's post.