House of Lords Judgement 2004

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope there are some legal bods out there that may be able to give me an insight into an old court case and what the rulings mean. The case "Barber v Somerset County Council. In this case a judgement was made and the following principle was set out. It states that "Certified sickness absence due to stress or depression needs to be taken seriously by employers. It requires an enquiry from the employer about the employess problems. I came across this printed in the guidlines for the management of health, safety and welfare issues for NHS staff. I was suprised to find it mentioned as the person mentioned in the case worked for a County Council and not the NHS. The reason I would like information is that at present I work for the NHS and I am signed off of work due to stress. Can anyone tell me anything about this case and if the principle set out is in actual fact law, as when I returned to work i did not even have a back to work interview, was re assigned to a different job and then went off sick again with stress (further details about my case can be found on this employment section, and also under the NHS section under witchiepoo). Be grateful of any help

Witchiepoo

:)

2/10 Re-instated after complaint against manager

• 3 weeks later...

Hi OrangePrimate

Thanks a lot for the information. Printed out the complete judgement and took it with me to a meeting with my managers yesterday. At a previous meeting I had drawn their attention to this case as it is mentioned in the managers handbook, they had obviously done their homework as i did not need to use it and i have been re-instated in my original job. Have made another copy and handed it to my union rep just in case it comes in handy for the future. Thanks for all your help

Regards

Witchiepoo

:)

2/10 Re-instated after complaint against manager

Very welcome Witchiepoo, brilliant news about the job!!

Always good to be prepared i always say, guaranteed, if you didnt have a copy with you they would have said it was something totaly different!!!

Best wishes

OP

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!