Uk Debt and moving to another country

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Your credit card debt is a civil matter not criminal, unless you took out the debt knowing you were emigrating and never had any intention of paying it back. That in itself will depend upon whether you lied or not at the time of the application.

As a civil matter you will not be arrested on your return to the UK.

You may find that the creditor may issue a county court summons to your last address and you may end up with another CCJ which could be enforced against any assets you have that remain in the UK.

Do not ever assume that just because you have emigrated and have no intention of returning to the UK at the present time, that you will not want to come back and live here again in the future. I emigrated, left debts behind although I was trying to pay them and I came back and was found within a matter of weeks by a debt tracing company.

On your eventual return CCJ's can be enforced cos they are not statute barred after 6 years.

Is there any reason why you cannot pay them anything from the US? You may be building your credit over there, but it would be unwise to think you can just start again in another country and then end up in just as much debt in one country as you were in the other.

Ironically, as many of the major DCA's and Purchasers are US owned or backed, and as it's virtually impossible to survive in US without a Bank account or having a credit check of some kind, it's almost inevitable that at some point you will show up on the radar and someone somewhere will begin the recovery process. Most of our major banks and financial institions have business in the US.

Owing money is not an offence, but it can be a serious obstacle sometimes, and make life a bit difficult.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

If they haven't taken enforcement action within six years of judgment, they have to reapply to the court to revive the order. I think that a CCJ will drop off your credit record after six years whether or not it's satisfied - unless or until they get permission from the court to begin chasing again.

Somebody correct me if that's wrong :confused:

Is there anytine limit on a CCJ?

I'm not sure, but decree's (the Scottish equivalent) have a time limit of 20 years. I imagine CCJ's would be similar.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I'm not sure, but decree's (the Scottish equivalent) have a time limit of 20 years. I imagine CCJ's would be similar.

Working on that theory it would be 24 years. Sounds perfectly plausible to me. ;)

hi they won't be able to pur sue you in USA even though when you will be back in Uk you willnot be arrested, you don't go to prison for debt. you may end up with a CCJ or bailiff may seize what is left behind you in uk but that will be it.

if you live in the Uk they have no right to pursue the debt there as diiferent law = different country. they might jdo a credit check in UK but i hardly dobt that as it is a bit expensive, when you will try to open a new bank account.

if you have already a CCJ and for debt pay what you can affrod aas the creditor and the Dca can enforce nor pursue a debt when you move abroad.

i hope this help

Dear Bsimmer,

I think you (and others) may find the following thread comforting. It is largely written by a Australian bank worker who deals with debt collection.

His comments on the overseas debt collection are very candid.

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9936&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Best wishes,

NNN