National Broadband Speedfinder project - beta

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Which? recently did a survey of about 300 Broadband customers and found that actual speeds were not as advertised.

We thought that we try and produce a map of speed based on post codes and providers so that people could actually find out what they were likely t get before making their choice and putting their money down.

Here is the beta. It needs testing and lots of comments please.

SpeedFinder

• 1 month later...

So depressing - I am the ONLY person whos done the test with a 512kb connection!!! :(

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have conducted the test at lunchtime today with a 538kb, and for my speed - 4.26 which is better than advertised. average in my area was higher than my results, although i am going through cable and not phone line

Red

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm with Virgin media and pay for 2 mb broadband, but the test says the speed I'm getting is 33.55 kb and 0.26 Mbit per second. I don't mean to appear thick but I don't actually understand what that means. I get the impression that it's super slow though. Can someone explain the numbers please?

Thank you.

Hi Folks,

I'm with Tiscali on their 8 meg Broadband and Anytime Telephone deal.

I am getting 6.5-8.8 megs. Very good I reckon.

Lex.

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The test results don't look accurate to me. I see on the aggregate results page that most people seem to be getting far more than the advertised rate, and indeed often faster than the technology should be able to provide. This might be due to caching in the browser.

• 1 month later...

I have just switched from Toucan't to AOL. All the loverly paperwork says "up to 8 meg".. i get >>>

Test Number Speed (KBytes/sec) Speed (Mbit/sec)

1 130.25 1.02

2 110.5 0.86

3 113.25 0.88

4 119.5 0.93

5 114.75 0.9

6 113.25 0.88

7 114.875 0.9

8 103.875 0.81

9 128.375 1

10 114.75 0.9

Higest 130.25 1.02

Average 116.3375 0.91

In my mind thats a pile of the long lost white dog poo

Edited by jokerdisco

• 2 months later...

I have successfully sued Tiscali, BE [O2] & UK Online for not providing the speeds promised. My basis was that as they provide - or other providers do but it is easy to get on the market - up to 2mbps products, it would be reasonable to expect that the service provided would be between 2mbps and 8mbps. As it never hit 2mbps in the space of a month - and they'd have to prove that at your computer the download speed was above that, which would be virtually impossible - I was entitled to the difference in value between the service provided and the value of the service I had paid for.

I therefore claimed the difference plus interest from the date of paying them. I am hitting Demon [Thus PLC] with my claim being filed and issued tomorrow. As they don't have a 2mbps service that was comparable [i.e. home], I found the another one on the net and charged them the difference between the cost of that one and the theirs.

Also, as their "service" had dropouts at frequent times and their indian customer "service" refused or couldn't help me, I used mobile internet as I couldn't stop using it for essential business needs, so I've charged them for those costs too.

Some useful tips for others maybe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have successfully sued Tiscali, BE [O2] & UK Online for not providing the speeds promised. My basis was that as they provide - or other providers do but it is easy to get on the market - up to 2mbps products, it would be reasonable to expect that the service provided would be between 2mbps and 8mbps. As it never hit 2mbps in the space of a month - and they'd have to prove that at your computer the download speed was above that, which would be virtually impossible - I was entitled to the difference in value between the service provided and the value of the service I had paid for.

I therefore claimed the difference plus interest from the date of paying them. I am hitting Demon [Thus PLC] with my claim being filed and issued tomorrow. As they don't have a 2mbps service that was comparable [i.e. home], I found the another one on the net and charged them the difference between the cost of that one and the theirs.

Also, as their "service" had dropouts at frequent times and their indian customer "service" refused or couldn't help me, I used mobile internet as I couldn't stop using it for essential business needs, so I've charged them for those costs too.

Some useful tips for others maybe.

Interesting; I'm on three broadband and I used to complain about the speed but then it really slowed down.

I'm lucky if I get 56kbps and 3 just say it must be my pc; well actually I get HD satellite tv on my pc at 12GigaHZ approx so I don't think it's that.

Then they say they want an image of the hard-drive:eek: Sorry passwords and all that.

I can't afford a BT line at £129 + fixing + £10.50pm +vat so I use a dongle. At least it should be as fast as it was when I checked it out, but it slowed over the last three months exactly coinciding with the free laptop offers.

Now I want a basic service to enable me to tune into satellite internet, but I'm on a contract.

• 2 years later...

the speedfinder links does not work for me

'Not Found The requested URL /broadband/ was not found on this server.'

recomend this one :

uswitch/broadband/speedtest

comes up with your results plus other peoples results in your area and what other companies speeds are giving out

Edited by Aceydee
info

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...