• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank of Scotland - Agreement - I Don't Think So!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been making reduced payments to BOS for several years for a credit card. These payments were well above what they should have been receiving pro rata. The reduced payments are because of long term bad health.

A couple of months ago the account was transferred to Retail Bank Collections at Halifax who immediately started charging interest and adding charges.

I decided to send CCA request and the below is what I received back:

AppFormBOS.jpg

LetterBOS.jpg

The 'application form' they have sent me is the worst copy I have received of any document. I have enhanced it a bit but as you can see it is totally illegible.

I have now sent the following letter in response - they are now ringing me on a daily basis.

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I refer to your letter dated xx August the contents of which are noted.

On xx July I made a request under S.78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for you to supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974.

This request was sent by recorded delivery to Bank of Scotland Card Services in Dunfermline.

On the xx August 2007 I received a copy of a document that is clearly an application form of which all the small print is totally illegible. This document was sent by Dianne Walker, Customer Services, Bank of Scotland.

However the supply of this application form in no way satisfies my request for documentation for the debt you allege exists.

This copy is almost totally illegible and does not comply with S60(1) and S61(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and so would be unenforceable as per S127(3) of the same act.

Also it does not comply with Section 1 of The Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983, which also states that copies of documents must be legible.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

To date, you have failed to comply with a legal request for a Consumer Credit Agreement (Consumer Credit Act 1974) in relation to the above account.

Furthermore, you should remember that a creditor is not permitted to take any action against an account whilst it remains in dispute. The lack of a correctly executed credit agreement is a very clear legal dispute and therefore the following applies:

• You may not demand any payment on this account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

• You may not add any further interest or charges to this account.

• You may not pass this account to any third party.

• You may not register any information in respect of this account with any of the credit reference agencies.

• You may not issue a default notice related to this account.

Be warned, the CCA 1974 is clear that a default can only be issued for breach of a valid, regulated agreement. If there is no regulated agreement, as is the case at this moment in time, then you cannot issue a default as I have not breached any valid, regulated agreement.

I reserve the right to pass all information to Trading Standards including the copy of the illegible application form you have sent me.

Any enforcement action you may bring against me will be vigorously defended.

I expect to hear from you within 10 days of this letter with a true copy of the executed agreement in relation to this account unless of course this ‘application form’ is the document you will rely on as being the signed agreement in relation to this account in any future enforcement action against me?

I would be obliged if you can confirm this?

If I do not receive this I will then decide what further action I will take.

In addition I would ask that all telephone calls to me cease. I have already explained that I cannot talk on the telephone for health reasons but the calls continue. Again if they do not stop I may take further action.

Yours faithfully

Have I done everything correctly?

Hi there

Yep, this seems fine to me but somebody with more experience may be along later. This is exactly what BOS sent me and are continuing to seek payment.

I am about to take this furthr.

Good luck

Gemspan

What a completely rubbish copy, your letter is fine, they probably won't stop chasing though - my OH has three accounts with BOS which he has been paying back small amounts on over 18 months and never got any statements showing what he'd paid - all he got back from the CCA request was one card request form, we have sent all the usual letters and reported them to our local TS, they don't ring as much as they used to but have further plans for them re:OFT and their local TS, don't let them get you down, they cannot enforce that piece of nonsense.:D

Have I done everything correctly?

Looking good! :)

You might also want to have a word to Trading Standards, they're a great help to have on side!

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

There's no way that agreement would stand up IMHO...

Good luck, Dave.

• 1 year later...

A bit of an update on this one. Firstly I apologise but I have accidentally deleted the images of the agreement I originally posted but if anyone wants to see them I can soon post them up again.

I have had no contact from the Bank of Scotland since April and that was in the guise of Blair Oliver and Scott.

I have had several DCAs chasing me and threatening me with court action and all the worst things that will happen to me if I do not pay. They have all backed off eventually when given the facts! I've actually had 5 letters before action from various people as well!

Anyway the reason for this post is that I think Bank of Scotland are being a little bit naughty in what they have done.

The original default for this account was dated in 2002 and would have dropped off my credit refrence files by now.

However the Bank of Scotland have placed a new default on my files dated in January 2008 and not updated since.

If anyone could help me I would like to challenge this as it seems to me that this will be on my files until the day I die if they keep putting new ones on.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated and then I will take them on - I have told them to take me to court but they do not appear prepared to do this.

• 1 month later...