Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    wemfish Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2006

Default We want our money back Nat West *** WON ***

Hi all.

We have read with great interest about the bank charges [problem] that the banks are using on us all, and would like to join in with this assault on the banks.

We have two accounts with Nat West, one mine and one joint with my wife. We had no trouble and were model customers with Nat West until I gave up my job to become my wife’s carer and went on to income support and other benefits, after a while the lower income took its toll and we now regularly get charges for overdrawn and miss use of card. I estimate about £14,000 in excess charges over 6 yearsicon.

I have read elsewhere in this forum that it is advisable to take out another bank account elsewhere before taking steps to get a refund in case the bank decides to close our accounts, and leaves us account-less and unable to survive in this modern "electronic money" world. Although I have tried to open another account, the trouble is that with our now poor credit record no one will have us.

Is there a goodish bank any of you know of that will accept us and is there any useful advice anyone can help us with?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Best regards. . . .

EDIT:

Maybe only half the original guess of £14,000
    It seems we were quite "good" a few years back. . .

Similar Threads:

Follows
    Following

Banned katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage's Avatar

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Default Re: We want our money back Nat West

Quote Originally Posted by katesage

hello and welcome to the NW forum

as for new accounts, they are all pretty much as bad as each other! BUT check out uSwitch.com: Search, switch & save on all your home services and financial products and the Which website Welcome to Which? which will give you impartial advice about comparing rates etc.

really hope you succeed, which you will now you're here!

Good luck
    kate
    Thank you for your reply,
    As far as banks are concerned, comparing rates is not much help, its finding a bank to accept us with a poor credit record that is the problem. . .

About 15 years ago I lost about £5,000 to Barclays, when my business ran into difficulties, is there any chance of getting that back as-well?

Follows
    Following

Banned katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage Highly informative katesage's Avatar

Default User is banned

Default User is banned

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Thank you for the reply, I hope that it wonít come to having to use such basic bank accounts, but itís useful to have such accounts as a back up.

Question,
    If we have two accounts, do we send two letters and two £10 feeís or just one?

Thanks,

Follows
    Following

Default User is banned

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Thatís it now, no going back, two letters with two cheques going in the post today . . . it all seams a bit daunting now. . .

I see the bit about a 5% donationicon of funds returned to support the site/forum, thatís ok for a couple of hundred quid returned, but for us that 5% will be about £700 if we get it all back!!

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative

Cagger since : Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by wemfish
    I see the bit about a 5% donationicon of funds returned to support the site/forum, that’s ok for a couple of hundred quid returned, but for us that 5% will be about £700 if we get it all back!!
    A donationicon is just that - a donation. 5% is recommended. I know someone who gave 33%. Any donation is more than welcome, and we are appreciative of them.;-)

Just think to yourself, the money was written off to start with, before you heard about this site, and how much would a solicitor have taken!! The amount is up to you, and it's confidentialicon.

But a note to everyone - the site does NOT run without money, and there are very few donations being received.

(Sorry for the mini-hijack, please debate further in the correct threads, thankyou.)

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

donateicon button clicked
    just a little bit for now but will send more. . .

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

One thing I notice in all this is, that once itís all over and you have a full refund, sometimes even during the process of recovering the money more penalty charges are made against the account. What steps can be taken to prevent this? Could one of the reasons the bank will not go to court be, that once a judgment has been made against them then they cannot make any more charges against you? Perhaps it needs some brave soul to take them to court regardless and get a judgment against the bank banning them from making anymore penalty charges. . . . . .

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative

Cagger since : Mar 2006

With regards to further charges, obviously first try to avoid them, but if you can't, then make a further claim starting the process again with the prelim letter. Beware though, the bank may close your account.

We ARE trying to get the banks into court, but they keep paying up.

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

got a letter today

Quote Originally Posted by . . .

Dear Mr & Mrs Wemfish

Data Protection Act - Subject access requesticon

I write to you with regards to your recent letters requesting Subject Access under the Data Protection Act 1998.

I will be happy to arrange for the bank statements you have requested, on both accounts, to be sent out directly.

We acknowledge your payment for the sum of £10 for this service, and would like to return the additional payment of £10 to you.

If you have any queries relating to this matter please do not hesitate to contact me at the above No.

Yours sincerely

Joyce E Taylor
    Retail Regulatory Risk
    So they only want £5 per account . . . or is it just the one £10 for both accounts??

Is NatWest, by just sending the statements, complying fully with the Subject Access Request ??

Follows
    Following

Default User is banned

NATTIE

£5 is the set charge for copy statement per account. if you haven't received the 3rd set of statements its worth chasing that up

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Statements arrived today by special delivery!! In a strong plastic wrapper over the weak brown envelope! My wife is now working thought the 5” high pile with a highlighter pen.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Hi All,
    A small question,
    Is the "Unarranged Borrowing Fee" on the list of reclaimable charges?

Follows
    Following

NATTIE

Yes

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Cheers, that will add a couple of grand

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    wemfish Novitiate

Another question,

When working out how much the bank owes, how do I work out when the 6 yearsicon starts,
    is it;
    A; Six years before the date of the data protection act letter
    B; Six years before the date of the request for a refund letter
    C; Some other date, and if so what date?

I assume that once the date has been set then any charges after that point, over the couple of months before the bank settles are not added?

Thanks for any help.

Follows
    Following

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details