• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

We want our money back Nat West *** WON ***

wemfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

We have read with great interest about the bank charges [problem] that the banks are using on us all, and would like to join in with this assault on the banks.

We have two accounts with Nat West, one mine and one joint with my wife. We had no trouble and were model customers with Nat West until I gave up my job to become my wife’s carer and went on to income support and other benefits, after a while the lower income took its toll and we now regularly get charges for overdrawn and miss use of card. I estimate about £14,000 in excess charges over 6 years.

I have read elsewhere in this forum that it is advisable to take out another bank account elsewhere before taking steps to get a refund in case the bank decides to close our accounts, and leaves us account-less and unable to survive in this modern "electronic money" world. Although I have tried to open another account, the trouble is that with our now poor credit record no one will have us.

Is there a goodish bank any of you know of that will accept us and is there any useful advice anyone can help us with?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Best regards. . . .

EDIT:

Maybe only half the original guess of £14,000

It seems we were quite "good" a few years back. . .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello and welcome to the NW forum

geeze you guys really were stung hard. to get that kind of money back your going to need to split the charges into categories to reduce the individual claims to less than 5K each. ( to keep them in the Small Claims Court) loads of info available about how to do that. you will have to keep reading. esp the FAQs

as for new accounts, they are all pretty much as bad as each other! BUT check out www.uswitch.com and the Which website www.which.co.uk which will give you impartial advice about comparing rates etc.

really hope you succeed, which you will now you're here!

Good luck

kate:)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

hello and welcome to the NW forum

as for new accounts, they are all pretty much as bad as each other! BUT check out uSwitch.com: Search, switch & save on all your home services and financial products and the Which website Welcome to Which? which will give you impartial advice about comparing rates etc.

really hope you succeed, which you will now you're here!

Good luck

kate:)

Thank you for your reply,

As far as banks are concerned, comparing rates is not much help, its finding a bank to accept us with a poor credit record that is the problem. . .

About 15 years ago I lost about £5,000 to Barclays, when my business ran into difficulties, is there any chance of getting that back as-well?

Ahh...... yes that can be tricky. How bad is the credit record. Some banks offer a step account with no cards etc, pretty useless but better than nowt.

also seek further advice from which about accounts available for people with poor credit history.

However, dont get too stressed, it is pretty unlikely that they will close the accounts, read mountain of debts thread and rbrears, they got back alot and weren't asked to hand back cards or anything. good recent victories you should read. scroll down a couple of pages to find.

the 'parachute' account is a safeguard against having no bank account at all.

+ worst case you get back all your money and natwest kick you out. with that kind of sum, i'm sure mr bank manager may rethink.........!;-)

kate

Thank you for the reply, I hope that it won’t come to having to use such basic bank accounts, but it’s useful to have such accounts as a back up.

Question,

If we have two accounts, do we send two letters and two £10 fee’s or just one?

Thanks,

technically if both accounts are with same bank and same account holders then the bank should supply all data held about you for 1 £10 DPA request.

However if the account is business then you need to do it seperately.

They also refused to give me my credit card info and said i should approach card services direct for that info.

if one is sole name and the other is joint, they might make you request seperately.

Kate

That’s it now, no going back, two letters with two cheques going in the post today . . . it all seams a bit daunting now. . .

I see the bit about a 5% donation of funds returned to support the site/forum, that’s ok for a couple of hundred quid returned, but for us that 5% will be about £700 if we get it all back!!

I see the bit about a 5% donation of funds returned to support the site/forum, that’s ok for a couple of hundred quid returned, but for us that 5% will be about £700 if we get it all back!!

A donation is just that - a donation. 5% is recommended. I know someone who gave 33%. Any donation is more than welcome, and we are appreciative of them.;-)

Just think to yourself, the money was written off to start with, before you heard about this site, and how much would a solicitor have taken!! The amount is up to you, and it's confidential.

But a note to everyone - the site does NOT run without money, and there are very few donations being received.

(Sorry for the mini-hijack, please debate further in the correct threads, thankyou.)

[

One thing I notice in all this is, that once it’s all over and you have a full refund, sometimes even during the process of recovering the money more penalty charges are made against the account. What steps can be taken to prevent this? Could one of the reasons the bank will not go to court be, that once a judgment has been made against them then they cannot make any more charges against you? Perhaps it needs some brave soul to take them to court regardless and get a judgment against the bank banning them from making anymore penalty charges. . . . . .

With regards to further charges, obviously first try to avoid them, but if you can't, then make a further claim starting the process again with the prelim letter. Beware though, the bank may close your account.

We ARE trying to get the banks into court, but they keep paying up.:rolleyes:

• Confused 1

[

• 2 weeks later...

got a letter today

Dear Mr & Mrs Wemfish

Data Protection Act - Subject Access Request

I write to you with regards to your recent letters requesting Subject Access under the Data Protection Act 1998.

I will be happy to arrange for the bank statements you have requested, on both accounts, to be sent out directly.

We acknowledge your payment for the sum of £10 for this service, and would like to return the additional payment of £10 to you.

If you have any queries relating to this matter please do not hesitate to contact me at the above No.

Yours sincerely

Joyce E Taylor

Retail Regulatory Risk

So they only want £5 per account . . . or is it just the one £10 for both accounts??

Is NatWest, by just sending the statements, complying fully with the Subject Access Request ??

Hi Wemfish

Its the £10 for both accounts. They recently sent me the same letter to send out all statements for 3 accounts for the one DPA fee. They returned 2 of my cheques and 2/3 of the statements have now arrived.

Crack on with adding up and send them your preliminary letter, which you do keep separate for each account.

best of luck:)

Guest NATTIE

£5 is the set charge for copy statement per account. if you haven't received the 3rd set of statements its worth chasing that up

• 2 weeks later...

Statements arrived today by special delivery!! In a strong plastic wrapper over the weak brown envelope! My wife is now working thought the 5” high pile with a highlighter pen.

Another question,

When working out how much the bank owes, how do I work out when the 6 years starts,

is it;

A; Six years before the date of the data protection act letter

B; Six years before the date of the request for a refund letter

C; Some other date, and if so what date?

I assume that once the date has been set then any charges after that point, over the couple of months before the bank settles are not added?

Thanks for any help.

A; Six years before the date of the data protection act letter

B; Six years before the date of the request for a refund letter

C; Some other date, and if so what date?

A

I assume that once the date has been set then any charges after that point, over the couple of months before the bank settles are not added?

You can keep adding new charges right up until you file at court

• Confused 1

But won't that make it 6 years and about 3 months??

Does anyone know how much the monthly unauthorized borrowing fee and the standard monthly account fee for an advantage gold account are?

Guest NATTIE

Account fee adgd has changed over 6 years from £6 to £9 to £10 to £12(now)

Unarranged borrowing is £28. So if you had ADGD and went over limit would have shown on statement as one charge, so £38, and now £40, ie £28 UAB + £10 or £12 ADGD fee

Unarranged borrowing may have changed over the years but am not sure about that

Duplicate Statements!

Whilst going through the statements we have found that there are loads of duplicates mixed in with the rest, if we had not noticed we would have made a lot of errors in the charges and would have had our claim rejected because of inaccuracies. . . What do you all think, is this a ploy of the bank to cause us problems should the claim go to court?