Please help - list of common failures

dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

We all know that all companies cock up - some more than most.

I am trying to collate the most common cockups.

Please add to this sticky, preferably in a one line statement, the cockups that you have experienced over the years.

e.g.

DVLA ignored SORN declaration and I was fined.

Company XXX refused to refund me when good were faulty from outset.

etc....

All will become apparent soon....

Thank you.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

After market warranty company's reliance on the all encompassing 'wear and tear' exclusion clause built, as standard, within their policy documents and which they can always rely on to refuse a fully valid claim.

What part of a car is not subject to wear and tear when being driven?

More to the point, what part of a car is therefore covered at all?:-?

Orange telling me over the phone I have a 12 month contract but 9 months later telling me it's an 18 month contract and they never called me when the phone was first bought, that anyone could have got my details!

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Hi

Orange sim card went faulty, took them 6 weeks to agree to issue me a replacement sim card as they said it was my phone. I even went and brought a new cheap PAYG phone from Argos but Orange simcard still not worked. I asked for refund to cover loss of usage as my contract was due to end but no respond, so I refused to pay the last 2 months bill in lieu of them costing me loss of airtime. Sent 6 letters to Orange customer services but still no reply. If you ring them from a non-orange handset you get cut off or they pass you all around many different depts resulting in you getting additional bill as you can be on the phone for over 1 hour ! Also noticed that although my contact ended, they added a 'new charge' for Orange Care at £6 per month which is something I did not want anyway nor asked them for.

Still refusing to pay and battling this out. Got a debt agency letter threatening me if I do not pay this Orange bill. What sort of Customer services are they when they don't reply to customers?

Reeta

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Littlewoods sent a faulty brand new washing machine, refused to refund it, made me accept a repair, twice, which neither worked. Then put my account with debt collectors. Any phone conversations have resulted in rudeness from their operators, and refusals to put me on to their managers. I am now going to take them to court!

Abbey

1. 29th July 2006 - First request for data sent.
  2. 11th August 2006 - Microfiche excuse received.
  3. 16th August 2006 - Reply quoting Data Protection Act sent.

HSBC

2. 8th August 2006 - First statements started arriving with returned cheque.

Direct Line Insurance gave me a hire car from Enterprise. On last day of hire I got a flat, my husband changed the wheel over just before we drove the car 4 miles to return it. Signed off car, explaining about flat tyre, which they said was no problem and they refunded me with a £50 deposit. The following day Direct Line telephoned to tell me that following my accident? I owed Enterprise £300 excess for the damages to the tyre and the spare wheel!! Already being charged £400+ per month from banks for excessive charges and in process of losing everything, so it feels like everyone is in for the kill now! See prior post. By the way, there was no damage caused by us, the spare wheel was already in bad shape and my husband told me to be very careful driving it.

Abbey

2. 11th August 2006 - Microfiche excuse received.
  3. 16th August 2006 - Reply quoting Data Protection Act sent.

HSBC

2. 8th August 2006 - First statements started arriving with returned cheque.

BANK OF SCOTLAND - asked them to close 2 current accounts,(after I won back my charges ;) ) 1 had £26 balance, other zero. Branch said it would be done by head office and they would send me a cheque. 3 weeks later got a letter saying they had shut no.1 account and transferred the balance to no 2 account. Phoned and queried it, they knew nothing about me being sent a cheque and as no.2 account now had an active balance it would take a couple more weeks to shut and only THEN would I get a cheque.

As with all banks, the right hand has never met the left hand.

Bank of Scotland account 1 - £2,666 WON

Bank of Scotland account 2 - £2,500 on hold

GE Capital charges -£30 won (hey, every little helps!)

Barclays Partner Finance £425 charges - £225 offer accepted.

Finally debt free after 4.5 years, thanks to my Debt Management Plan through Payplan. There is no better feeling :D

• 4 weeks later...

Neighbours son just passed test left car in gear and drove straight in to our stationary car.Non fault accident to us reported it to insurance etc. Our car gets picked up by Midland recovery and gets taken to Holdcroft Body repair shop.3 days later get a call from Helphire who were appointed by our broker, asking where our car was :o . Holdcroft didnt know and Midland recovery said it had been delivered by them to Holdcroft the day it was picked up.Found this out after going to their office in person and saw the delivery note.So then took a trip to Holdcroft and our car was not on their system ....!Took it upon myself to walk through their entire ground and guess what our car was there the entire time!! What a bunch of so & so's!!

If my advice has helped please click my scales

Should you require any further help feel free to pm me.

Nat West 2nd Acc

Prelim letter sent 8th Feb '07

:) Full Settlement Offer 24th Feb '07:)

:pMONEY BACK IN ACC ON MARCH THE FIRST '07:p

Nat West 1st Acc

Filed at court 2nd of Feb '07

Acknowledged on 15th of Feb '07

:rolleyes: Defence submitted 1st March 2007 :rolleyes:

Ordering a pink nintendo ds + 2 games for my daughters birthday on argos website after being told all was in stock and then after paying with debit card told that the pink console was not in stock and they have refunded the money for the console. took me many phone calls to explain why the games were no good without the console.

CURRYS stating that a Bright Green Flashing Pixel on a £800 Plasma TV which is 23 weeks old is a 'Purity Error' 'Within Manufacturing Limits' and therefore they will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to assist!!

£800 on a TV which 23 weeks later has a fault which ruins my viewing pleasure and all they can say is 'Tough Luck!'

Shocking way to treat a Customer!

These are excellent - keep 'em coming.

It will all become apparent soon, I promise (had a bit of a delay due to personal issues).

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I have had an Audi car from brand new. Bought from dealer. Had serviced by dealer to keep 3 year warrenty valid but the warrenty also had a 60,000 mile limit.

At at 2 years and 3 months old, but unfortunately at 62,000 miles, car failed to start. Was told it was the starter motor which was then a chargeable repair. I argued that to me, the mileage on the car had nothing to do with the amount of times the car was started but lost the argument and paid over £300.

That was in Jan 06

Feb 07, car failed to start again. Told by garage it was the starter motor that had failed but it was covered under 'a 2 year warrenty' so was replaced free of charge.

Nov 07, car failed to start again. Told by same garage (still audi dealer) that starter motor would be replaced 'this time' as it was within 2 years of my original paid for repair. Although I have asked them to detect any underlying fault that could be causing a starter motor to fail so often, I cannot be sure they have done this. But they have told me the replacement that has been done today is not guaranteed in itself, the labour??? is guaranteed for a year, but the guarantee on the starter motor runs out in Jan 08 - 2nd anniversary of me paying for the repair!

Quinn Direct car insurance: ignored 2 letters giving notice that I would not be renewing the policy with them and took a new payment anyway. They then failed to refund me after promising to do so. Had to get the money back through the bank.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Virgin Media cut off services for non-payment before I receive the bill. Twice.

Must be common, exact thing happened to me. they said their system ran into a "glitch" and bills were not sent out, but I was still dissconnected from service. I had it reinstated after speaking to a few managers though, lol.

O2 destroyed my mobile phone that was returned in error instead of returning it to me. [should have gone to 3G]

their excuse, security measures..Ha.

I took em to court and won..

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

A friend of mine took a 19" lcd tv back to the local Miller Brothers complaining about a dead pixel.

tv was one week old.

Turd in the shop argued it, but eventually took it into the back shortly returning showing a 1" scratch clearly visible in the centre of the screen.

Arguing for about an hour they told her to shut up and leave the store..

she did......OMG!!!!!

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Ordered bathroom cabinets from Wickes - cost £800. Next day a repeat order arrived. Despite my saying I had already received mine the driver insisted on leaving them. Rang next day to say I now had 2 lots - they said they would collect them. They never did. That was 3 years ago. My daughter now has a matching bathroom!

I once received a voucher thru the post from Phones 4 u for £360. As I had never used that company for anything I was puzzled. I rang to see what it was about. The advisor said he had no idea and suggested I hang on to them and say nothing. No-one ever asked me to return it.

• 1 month later...

Boring one from me. Buying a suit. There was an OK looking one for a cheap price in the window. Asked to try it on. Was shown essentially similar looking suits for a higher price. Asked for the one in the window, they say they don't have any. I say goodbye then. Shocked salesman voice "but this is a much better suit." I still leave, and he sells me the suit at the window price.

Oh, and I had dodgy energy company salespeople around several times. One came, asked us if we were a British Gas customer, and said that they "just want[ed] to make sure that we're signed up for our discounts." Got quite rude when I asked him to leave.

Oh, and some companies use "City Link" as a courier. I ordered something, and after ordering noticed that it was coming by a company called "City Link". Googled them. OH NO!!!!!! Seeing that they had a MO of saying you weren't at home when you were, I left a big sign for the courier on the front door and left it actually open, stayed in the front room and watched the door like a hawk. At 1pm, suddenly the status of my order changed to "delivery attempted (carded)". Phoned up to complain, and they tried the reputedly common trick of asking me what colour my front door was. They then say that's the colour the driver reported it as. (I wish now I had said it was bright pink). I contacted the original merchant, and cancelled the order. Then made another order with them based on an agreement that they would send the item out by Royal Mail.

Since then I won't order anything if it's coming to my home by citylink. They do seem to deliver to my (fairly large) workplace. But I won't waste my time ordering anything if City Link are going to be delivering it to my home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest louis wu

Sky...where to start, the whole concept of customer service is missing.

Disconeected after being 1 week later then invoice date. Upon complaint, told no-one available to take call etc, and they can do whatever they want with their service (told them exactly what to do with their service).

Bill payment by internet. The system is always down or failed or some other excuse. The alternative offered, an 0870 National rate number.

£4.00 charge for non direct debot payment, already discussed at length here.

you get the idea.

louis

• 3 weeks later...