• Tweets

• Thanks @lolerz. I've attached it to the post. What do you think? What's the organ grinder? NTK.pdf
    • I'm afraid that if the value of the item was under declared then that is probably the best that you can hope for. Also, because the item was incorrectly addressed – even by a single letter, if that because the issue relating to the delivery then that has probably compounded the problem. There is probably very little that can be done. If you are lucky you will get the item back and then you can start again and declare it properly. Undervaluing parcels which are sent by any means is always going to cause a problem if the item is lost or damaged. It may mean that the cost of delivery is slightly less – but at the end of the day the risk becomes yours. When you enter into any kind of contract, effectively you declare it a level of risk to your contracting partner – and they decide to enter into the contract with you based on that level of risk. You have declared a level of risk and £50 – and that's the deal.   Additionally, undervaluing an item which is an internationally has the effect also of evading customs and any VAT system which is in force in that country – and that makes the whole thing a little bit more serious
    • Perfect. Nice and brief and to the point. You don't bother to start telling your life story. Just the way it should be. Send it off. You have probably done enough reading to understand that it won't make any difference don't start drafting your particulars of claim. Open an account with the MoneyClaim County Court system and start preparing. Post your particulars of claim here before you click it off. You may have noticed that at some point you will be asked if you want to go to mediation on this. We used to advise it but now we recommend that you decline mediation and go to trial. Your chances of success are much better than 95%. Going to trial will incur an additional hearing fee but of course you will get that back. However if you go to mediation, they will simply try to penny pinch and to get you to compromise and also they will sign you up to a confidentiality agreement and probably threaten you if you breach it. Not only that, if the mediation fails because you stand your ground, it will add additional delay while they then give you a date to go to trial. The best thing to do is to decline mediation – prepare for court hearing. Pay the extra fee. The chances are that rather than get a judgement against them they will then offer you a full settlement rather than go to court. If they do offer you full settlement then you will be obliged to accept it – but that's what you want. If they don't offer you full settlement then you will go to trial and there will be a judgement against them. Just so that you understand, our first interest is that you get your money back – but a close second is that it does go to trial and there is a judgement which we will then be able to use to help other people. Anyway as you should realise, we will help you all the way.
    • I sent a parcel to Singapore but i spelt the address incorrecltly by 1 letter so the parcel couldnt be delivered and was returned back to the Uk but checking the tracking today the parcel had returned to the UK but is somehow on its way back to Singapore as the tracking says "Item leaving the UK"    Ive spoken ( tweeted) Royal Mail help who confirm that the parcel seems to be going back to Singapore and that if its not " Delivered" by the 29th of April theyll deem it as lost and will accept a claim but i cant remeber when booking what the compensation amount was but i dont think it covers the amount of the item.  As it was my fault that it wasnt delivered in the first place can i trey and claim the full amount back ? i think if i remember correctly it was £50 compensation but the item was £170 So the timeline is thus ...   22nd Of March .    Booked via P2G & dropped off a Post Office.  25th March arrives in Singapore and goes through customs ect ect 26th   Incorrect address and item is flagged as "return to sender" 28th Item leaves Overseas intenational processing centre 15th of April , Item is leaving the Uk (Again)   ?    
    • Post the NTK up here for the regulars to double-check. I highly doubt it's compliant with POFA though. Ignore the deforestation that comes unless it's ever a letter of claim. Any luck with the organ grinder?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I am new to this and need help with bank charges and benefits

vicky66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have recently read that the banks cannot take charges from benefits. Does anyone know which benefits tese are, what I do if I have had charges taken from benefits and if anyone has successfully claimed using this argument?

please help

vicky66

Hi Vicky and welcome to the forum. There is lots of help on this subject available but just for starters, while I have a look for some more info for you, have a look at this post by Jailbird on another thread this morning.

Found this on MSE........may be helpful

Q: What else can I do if I am living on benefits?

A: If you rely on benefits for your main income, such as Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance, there is still possibly a way you can claim; though it relies on a slightly different law. All past claims have been based on contract laws but there is another law called the Social Security Administration Act 1992, which says that banks must not take charges from benefits as this money is needed for a person to live on.

If you are in this situation, contact your bank to tell them that you are living on benefits and it should process your compliant. If it still does not help, contact the Financial Ombudsman, but make sure you tell it that you are receiving benefits and your case will be dealt with.

Chris

Thanks for the info so far, I dont know how to go about tackling the bank to reclaim charges which they have taken from my benefit (working families tax credit/ child tax credit) as I dont want to get it wrong! I think it that the claim is not covered by the waiver but I am not sure

thanks

vicky66

I think you are right about a claim involving benefits not being affected so just start you claim as normal. I will post a link for you now. You will probably be exempt from court filing fees and will have to claim using the n1 form direct with the court.

Have a read of the newcomers thread ( i will post it for you in a second) and it will guide you step by step. Just come back and ask any questions you have along the way!

I have already put in a claim before the waiver using the usual letter templates. Now the waiver is in place is the fact that i have already put in a claim going to affect my claim for them taking monies from my benefit I am worried that I have messed this up! Also can I add in chrges that I havs incurred since I sent my original letter? Sorry if i am being a pain.

vicky66

I have a claim which is on hold because of the waiver, however the charges that I have claimed have been taken from the account my benefits are paid into. therefore I was just trying to find out if I could continue with the original claim because of the fact that I am on benefits, without waiting for the oft case to go through the courts. sorry if it sounds confusing, thats probably because I am confused too.

vicky66

No I have not. After much stalling by HSBC I was just getting to the stage of starting court proceedings when the waiver and court case was announced. I have since spoken to my bank who said that my file was now on hold until the case has been heard. I have not heard formally from the bank in writing that this is the case although they said I would be sent a letter to confirm this. I then read that about the fact that they couldnt take money from benefits and so therefore was trying to find out if I could continue to claim the money by a differant means. But I want to be clear that I can do this as the banks dont need much of an excuse to say that the way I have gone about things are wrong!

I think to be fair that I have probably done this all wrong from the start! I should have come on here first and read up on what to do instead of listening to friends who advised me because I didnt in my original claim include all charges that I should so therefore having added them up again they now are more than I originally claimed! So I think that I have completely messed this up and I dont really know what to do anymore. I just need some guidance and confirmation of the benefits issue. You probably think I am a real pain but need your help and you seem to know what you are talking about.

vicky:confused:

I have got my statements, sent my claim letter using friends advice. THEN joined the forums and have found out that I have not claimed all that I could (didnt include total charges) have realised that I have asked HSBC for less than I could have. They have my letter with total I have claimed and I dont know if I can or should send an ammended one with a higher amount on it. I am also on income assessed benefits and have also found out on here that it is unlawful for them to take money from benefit. So I now have a differant tack to approach them with but dont know if I can as I have already sent them a letter claiming the money. I think I may have messed up BIGTIME and would like anyones help with where I should go from here.

cheers

Ok can you list in order your actions so far please.

If you have filed the claim at court already you can amend the claim, this will cost £35 which you can not reclaim. You would need to use the N244 which is in the template library.

We can advise further when you list your actions.

Ps. I have merged your threads please stick to this thread.

Hi,

I contacted Hsbc asking them for statements. I then sent them a letter reclaiming charges. They then wrote to me asking for a detailed breakdown of charges claimed. I did this and rang them after the waiver announcement and was told my claim is logged with them but will not be dealt with until after the big court case. I have since read these forums and have realised that I have not claimed all that I should have ( I didnt include total charges) and dont know if I can now amend the amount with HSBC. I have also read that if you are on income assessed benefits that the banks cannot take charges from them. The sole money going into the account since July 05 hasbeen from benefits. I dont know if I can now change tack and claim the same money back using a differant reason. hope this explains where I am at now.

thanks for replying

vicky