• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cheddar Vs Natwest (round 2 ding ding!) ***WON***

cheddar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

LOL! Well after last years mammoth claim we're at it again. Unfortunate spiral of charges totalling £164, customer service refusing to budge at all ever these days.

Story so far:

Prelim and schedule sent 4th July 2007

as of today no reply, LBA printed and ready to send.

Will keep you all informed.

ched ;)

Ex CAG helper ^_^

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome (back) Cheddar!

Well............ if you've done it all once before with nasty west, you know the drill! And they've probably not changed much since you last stepped into the ring with them either!

Best of luck ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Lol thanks Hedgy yeah done it all before over a year ago! Nice to be back on the site after many ups and downs but maybe not so nice for it to be for this reason! LOL! Ah well i'll get there I know i will! :p

Cheers!

Ex CAG helper ^_^

this one is only for £164

.............. and far better off in your pocket than nat wests!!! ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

......... tock............ tock!!!!!

Best of luck cheddar............... hope pay-day's round the corner for you! x ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Payday is next week sadly lol!

Okay letter from the lovely Higley today and i've read round a few other cases but not seen this, I have been given a list of options:

1) Opting for change: accepting a goodwill gesture and agreeing to change my banking arrangements (proceed to section B)

or

2) Stay as i am and withdraw my complaint

Section B then states that if I want my money back I have to choose one of the three options:

1) Pay a £10 monthly management fee for an account with lower penatly charges

2) Change my account to a cash account

3) Close the account

Sadly I can't go for any of these options because

1) I refuse to PAY for a bank account

2) I have an o/d and loan I would have to repay

3) see option 2

What the heck do do now? LOL! These guys are such jokers, bet it took em months of meetings and bum scratching to come up with that one!

TIA

Ex CAG helper ^_^

saw this for the first time yesterday, sre they allowed to change your account terms and conditions as a result of yu reclaiming unlawful charges made by them?

surely you've done nothing wrong?

I'd be inclined to run my current account elsewhere and setup a standing order to supply enough money to service the loan and overdraft, thus incurring no charges, that suits you and stiffs them

I've got two NW accounts that have been dormant for years, one has 1p in and one gets enough money every month to cover the interest on the overdraft and pay a little off

Tbh i don't really want have to start using another account as i've had this one for 19 years and don't want the hassle although if i have to then i will, however they do state that if i wish to close the account that the overdraft and loan become instantly repayable at that point.

...we can arrange for the closure of your account upon the repayment of any existing overdraft borrowing.

Please note however that if you hold a loan with NatWest your are required by its terms and conditions to maintain a funding current account with the bank.

I don't have the money to pay this (if i did i would pay them off anyway). Also that kind of makes option 2 impossible again as they say i need a current account.

So realisticly speaking I have 2 options

1) drop my claim

2) pay for a bank account

The other options are totally impossible for me and also (I presume) for a great number of people with £1000's owed to the bank that they cannot simply get their hands on to repay.

Anyone got any further ideas? I have a feeling I may just have to take them to court...again, but with OFT stepping in now whats the score?

Ex CAG helper ^_^

lol oh I do have another account, my hubby and i both opened accounts with other banks in April 2006 as i started my first NatWest claim.

However we found it nothing short of a small nightmare. With the co-op and Nationwide both promising us that we could have basic accounts and that there would be no full credit score, both did so and rejected us (may i also add it took them over 2 months, numberous letters and phone calls at our expense to even get a decision). HSBC did the same, tried with Smile and got instantly rejected there also. Our credit files are by no means perfect but they are not horrific either.

Tbh we found it very difficult and all hubby managed to get was a separate Natwest Step account and myself an RBS Key (cash) account which won't facilitate DD, SO, chequebooks or Maestro cards sadly. Although hubby has a solo card with his Step account.

If only it was as simple as filling in a form online I wouldn't have had this account for 19 years (since the age of 9) lol! I do understand that using the accounts means they are likely to be upgraded but at the end of the day do not see why I should have to. All big banks are as bad as each other in my opinion and all have the same unlawful regime of penalty charges, i would only be jumping out the frying pan into the fire....

Ex CAG helper ^_^

No need to be sorry, doesn't come as any suprise to me when dealing with such financial instiutions!

I wish it was that simple lol but as you know, if i close the account I instantly owe them my o/d and loan...

Hope someone can advise on this but I do have 60 days to reply to Nastywest (thats nice of them)....

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Cheddar, try Nationwide again. I was turned down by them a couple of months ago when I applied online for a parachute (defaults against my name) but I went into the branch yesterday and opened a basic account (flex account with D/D facilities) no problem (3 forms of I.D. needed). Took just over five minutes - it might be worth a try.

As for the nutty west, I really don't know what to advise. Your the second one this week that they've done this to - it seems to be their new strategy for peeps who go back to them for a second claim. Hopefully, somebody can advise further on this - sorry hun, I'm really stumped on this new stance they're taking. xxx :(

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

tell them the account is in dispute at least until the claim is settled and tell them you're going to complain to the ombudsman thingy to say that they're trying to penalise you in retaliation for claiming your charges back from them

point out that the charges are unlawful and as such they can't insist that you pay them in future, work the OFT case into it somehow

Tbh its the third claim, i claimed again for about £80 or so a couple of months ago, just sent prelim and got a form back to sign and the money back afterwards.

I'll stick with the RBS account for now and am transferring my wages over into as of next month anyway so hopefully it won't take all that long for them to upgrade it. Another thing I always find tough is ID lol I don't drive, dont have a passport or any photo id of any kind and they always look at me as if i am mad when i say that LOL!

I'll bide my time and see what strategies if anything anyone can come up with.

I was possibly thinking of accepting the £10 a month account and seeing (i may have to read the mountain of paperwork with the letter) if i can then opt out...maybe after i get my money back??

Natwest just keep amazing me they really do, if this is now becoming standard for claims (even small ones) then I can see them losing plenty of customers!

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Upon reading the paperwork there doesn't appear to be any T&Cs re the Monthly Management Fee, the only info is that they will charge £17 for the Maintenance Charge (once known as Unarranged Borrowing Fee), Paid Referral, Guaranteed Card Payment Fee and Unpaid Items Fees.

If a mod/sh would like i will see if i can scan these docs and email to someone?

Ex CAG helper ^_^

I had a loan with NW and they insisted that it was bank policy to have the loan paid from a NW account - I transferred mine to HSBC with the rest of my DD's and asked then to prove where I agreed to pay it from a NW account they never did prove it and I never paid it again from a NW account.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

From NW site - proof that you can pay a loan from any bank account

You do not have to be an existing customer to apply for a NatWest personal loan. However, if you don't already bank with NatWest, you must have a current account with another bank to apply online. Your current account must accept Direct Debits.

• Haha 1

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Oh thats some good news then! However I don't have £1k for my overdraft either haha! I'll have a look through my loans T&C's to see if it mentions anything about having to pay from a Natwest Account, all seems silly to me I mean the above says that you don't need a NW account to apply for one, therefore you shouldn't have to have a NW account to pay your loan!

This bank simply gets more and more beyond belief as time goes on doesn't it? And tbh in that respect I am getting to the point where i am more than prepared to dump them, sad thing is that the only other account I have is an RBS one so not really leaving them at all now am i? LOL!

What a farce.....

Ex CAG helper ^_^

And arrrrghhhh! Just went to have a gander at my account online and they let hubby take out £20 when there was only £19.50 in there so thats going to be another charge!

Thats mainly what ours consist of, payments and withdrawals taking anything from 3-5 days to show up and the balance never reflects what is truely in the account then they let us go o/d by pennies and slam the charges on. I'm so sick of this, it seems like a cash account is probably a good idea cos this wouldn't happen :(

Ex CAG helper ^_^

I've missed your avatar. Good to have you back. My credit history is a bit naff but I opened an account with Abbey, no problems, last year. I've been with NatWest since the 1980s but will be closing my account down shortly (once I get my old data) as they have caused me such grief over the years. Know what you mean though, if the branch staff are reasonably professional you get to know and like them.