• Tweets

• Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
    • Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I want to pursue RBoS - rules for scotland - what are they?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am really sorry but I've looked everso hard and can't find the rules! I am in England, so what are the options to pursue Royal Bank Of Scotland credit card company. I cannot use Moneyclaim as RBoS's address is Edinburgh, so what do I do? Can I do it by post or online up to a sherriff's court in Scotland or do I have to turn up there? Or can I go through my local English county court? I cannot find a sticky thread anywhere to tell me, so when this is clear can a mod put up a link for slow moonfaces like me please?

many thanks

Scotty

PS it's for £240 plus £36.40 statutory interest, and I have a rejected their offer of £101.36p (where the 36p is from I have no idea).

Just write back saying that you'll accept the £101.36 as partial payment towards the full claim amount of the charges altho you may not get back any interest you are claiming.

You should get back all the basic charges - you would have to take them to court to get the interest but most peeeps are happy just to get the charge amounts back, after all strictly speaking according to OFT recommendations, you should only get the residue left of £12 per fee, so if you get all the charges you paid back, you're in effect getting probably more than you would just getting residue of the £12 charge. That's the way I see it.

Just write back as above and hopefully you'll be offered all your money back - I did, within 10 days, altho still waiting for money but should have it this week.

“It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.”

See the link below for rejection letters, LETTER 1 style should suit you, adapt it to your situation and send it to the RBS address on your offer letter - best to mark the envelope "FAO MARK DOUTHWAITE" or whoever sent the offer letter- hopefully you should get your "penalty" charges back, as I explained in Post 2, at least that's my experience and it appears to have happened to other peeps.

Remember you are accepting the £101.36 as a partial payment only toward return of the £240 - and you will not get any interest unless you go to court, and in your case it's hardly worth the hassle for £36.40 which you may not win anyway. At least that's my opinion.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

Remember the banks are in the wrong, they are more frightened of you than you should be of them and their fancy pants lawyers.

Good luck:)

Just write back saying that you'll accept the £101.36 as partial payment towards the full claim amount of the charges altho you may not get back any interest you are claiming.

You should get back all the basic charges - you would have to take them to court to get the interest(agreed, unless you had been claiming contractual) but most peeeps are happy just to get the charge amounts back(are they?), after all strictly speaking according to OFT recommendations, you should only get the residue left of £12 per fee(? that is nonsense, OFT stated ",Where credit card default charges are set at more than £12, the OFT will presume that they are unfair, and is likely to challenge the charge unless there are limited, exceptional business factors in play." No where does it say £12 is a fair charge. so if you get all the charges you paid back, you're in effect getting probably more than you would just getting residue of the £12 charge. That's the way I see it.(im glad we dont all see it your way!)

Just write back as above and hopefully you'll be offered all your money back - I did, within 10 days, altho still waiting for money but should have it this week.

I'm sorry Yanni, but i have never read so much nonsense!!!

I am really sorry but I've looked everso hard and can't find the rules! I am in England, so what are the options to pursue Royal Bank Of Scotland credit card company. I cannot use Moneyclaim as RBoS's address is Edinburgh, so what do I do? Can I do it by post or online up to a sherriff's court in Scotland or do I have to turn up there? Or can I go through my local English county court? I cannot find a sticky thread anywhere to tell me, so when this is clear can a mod put up a link for slow moonfaces like me please?

many thanks

Scotty

PS it's for £240 plus £36.40 statutory interest, and I have a rejected their offer of £101.36p (where the 36p is from I have no idea).

Are you saying MCOL will not accept your claim when you try to lodge it? or are you going on hear say?

As far as i am aware, the jurisdiction laws state you can raise your claim in a court local to the defendant OR the claimant.

[Originally Posted by Yanni viewpost.gif

You should get back all the basic charges - you would have to take them to court to get the interest(agreed, unless you had been claiming contractual) but most peeeps are happy just to get the charge amounts back(are they?), after all strictly speaking according to OFT recommendations, you should only get the residue left of £12 per fee(? that is nonsense, OFT stated ",Where credit card default charges are set at more than £12, the OFT will presume that they are unfair, and is likely to challenge the charge unless there are limited, exceptional business factors in play." No where does it say £12 is a fair charge. so if you get all the charges you paid back, you're in effect getting probably more than you would just getting residue of the £12 charge. That's the way I see it.(im glad we dont all see it your way!)

Just write back as above and hopefully you'll be offered all your money back - I did, within 10 days, altho still waiting for money but should have it this week.]

I'm sorry Yanni, but i have never read so much nonsense!!!

Well if we're not allowed to state a valid opinion without it being rubbished then I give up.

I never said OFT thought £12 was fair, in fact it is you yourself has just pointed it out

"Where credit card default charges are set at more than £12, the OFT will presume that they are unfair" (Underlining is mine)

I was only pointing out that ACCORDING to the OFT recommendations, and at present they can only be described as recommendations, getting back the full "penalty" charge, i.e., over and above £12, is a bonus, IN MY OPINION - and I'm sure the majority of peeps are happy just to get full refund of charges without going thru all the hoops and obstacles the banks and their lawyers put in their way, but perhaps you know better.

The alternative is going to court and getting the banks to admit to the real cost of processing "default fees", something they will never do unless dragged in kicking and screamng.

If the highest default fee of Allied Irish Banks plc is 4.40 Euros, just on £3, then either the Irish banks are terribly efficient, Eire is a low wage economy or the UK banks are a bunch of thieving scoundrels.

No prizes for guessing right.

With just 3 letters and 3 emails, I am about to have a £1700+ overdraft written off, with a sum of in excess of £800 on top. I may have been lucky in getting "a result" without a lot of hassle compared to some peeps and I sure most would accept that result.

Only in my opinin of course.

For the benefit of others, here is the OFT statement of May 2006 - the comments in red are mine.

'The OFT now expects [recommends??] all credit card issuers to recalculate their default charges in line with the principles set out in the statement, and to confirm by 31 May their response and willingness to make any necessary adjustments to their fees. Credit card issuers should [are recommended??] treat fee adjustments as a matter or exceptional priority. The OFT also calls [recommends] on banks and other financial businesses to apply the same principles when calculating default charges in other consumer contracts such as bank overdrafts, store card contracts and mortgages where and as appropriate.

'As a provisional step to speed compliance, the OFT has decided that it is appropriate to give priority to addressing default charges which exceed a threshold of £12. This is less than half the figure charged by many credit card issuers at the moment. The OFT's presumption [recommendation??]will be that credit card default charges that are in excess of £12 are unfair, unless there are limited, exceptional factors in play, for example where a card issuer has a policy of requiring customers to pay minimum monthly repayments by direct debits, such as that operated by Egg, and offers credit cards only to customers that satisfy a relatively high scoring requirement.'

[Originally Posted by Yanni viewpost.gif

Well if we're not allowed to state a valid opinion without it being rubbished then I give up. clearly not, judging by the rest of your post! ;-)

I never said OFT thought £12 was fair, in fact you it is you yourself have just pointed it out You DID say that the "OFT recommends you only get the residue of the £12 charge" which is nonsense!

"Where credit card default charges are set at more than £12, the OFT will presume that they are unfair" (Underlining is mine) which means any charge over £12 are unfair, not the difference between £12 and the charge, incidentely it also does not state that any charge under £12 IS fair.

I was only pointing out that ACCORDING to the OFT recommendations, and at present they can only be described as recommendations, getting back the full "penalty" charge, i.e., over and above £12, is a bonus, IN MY OPINION - and I'm sure the majority of peeps are happy just to get full refund of charges without going thru all the hoops and obstacles the banks and their lawyers put in their way, but perhaps you know better.

What i do know, is that it is highly unlikely that any banks credit card companys or other institutions are likely to offer you a FULL refund of your charges without you having to issue a court claim, This does not involve jumping through hoops or any other acrobatics, but simply following the step-by-step instructions as laid out in the FAQ's.

Following the step-by-step instructions involves sending 2 letters, 28 days and issuing a court claim, not exactly rocket science but a tried and tested method to recover ALL CHARGES IN FULL.

The alternative is going to court and getting the banks to admit to the real cost of processing "default fees", something they will never do unless dragged in kicking and screamng. You dont need to go to court, if you follow the procedure and templates correctly the bank will issue your FULL refund before the court date.

If the highest default fee of Allied Irish Banks plc is 4.40 Euros, just on £3, then either the Irish banks are terribly efficient, Eire is a low wage economy or the UK banks are a bunch of thieving scoundrels.

No prizes for guessing right. Im struggling to keep up with this?

With just 3 letters and 3 emails, I am about to have a £1700+ overdraft written off, with a sum of in excess of £800 on top. I may have been lucky in getting "a result" without a lot of hassle compared to some peeps and I sure most would accept that result. congratulations, still, i wouldnt advise other claimants to deviate from the tried and tested methods, or fill there heads with nonsense RE accepting the difference between the charge and £12.

Claimants have enough new info to take in and dont need thrown dodgy info like the above.

Only in my opinin of course.no comment

For the benefit of others, here is the OFT statement of May 2006 - the comments in red are mine.

'The OFT now expects [recommends?? EXPECTS] all credit card issuers to recalculate their default charges in line with the principles set out in the statement, and to confirm by 31 May their response and willingness to make any necessary adjustments to their fees. Credit card issuers should [are recommended?? SHOULD] treat fee adjustments as a matter or exceptional priority. The OFT also calls [recommends CALLS] on banks and other financial businesses to apply the same principles when calculating default charges in other consumer contracts such as bank overdrafts, store card contracts and mortgages where and as appropriate.

'As a provisional step to speed compliance, the OFT has decided that it is appropriate to give priority to addressing default charges which exceed a threshold of £12. This is less than half the figure charged by many credit card issuers at the moment. The OFT's presumption [recommendation?? NO! PRESUMPTION]will be that credit card default charges that are in excess of £12 are unfair, unless there are limited, exceptional factors in play, for example where a card issuer has a policy of requiring customers to pay minimum monthly repayments by direct debits, such as that operated by Egg, and offers credit cards only to customers that satisfy a relatively high scoring requirement.' why have you added 'recommends' throughout the statement? you have shown here you clearly dont understand the statement, it is all very well taking from it what you will, but to blatantly mislead other claimants is not acceptable

Yanni, i think you should read a little more, and think a little more before sharing your opinion with anyone else, you clearly have caught the wrong end of the stick.

Yanni, i think you should read a little more, and think a little more before sharing your opinion with anyone else, you clearly have caught the wrong end of the stick.

I am only sharing my own experience in getting back my charges in which I did follow recommemded route altho my complaint against RBS is complicated by an extra grievance I have.

1. Prelim letter asking for refund of charges sent 10 May.
  2. Received offer letter from bank for approx 73% of my claim dated 5 June.
  3. Sent emails on 7 & 8 June backed up by letter confirming email contents includiing advising would go to FOS if not satisfied. My claim is over £1500 so court not feasible in Scotland unless summary causa or whatever.
  4. Accepted offer as partial settlement toward full amount by letter sent 9 June.
  5. Sent 2 emails to RBS advising them of my complaint to FOS including failure to reach agreement on default charges. (Complaint to FOS sent altho I have since advised them that I have setttled charges complaint)
  6. By letter dated 27 June but received 30 June, (mail strike??) RBS offered full amount of claim which I accepted by letter sent 1 July.
  7. Only awaiting payment which hopefully be by end of week.

"What i do know, is that it is highly unlikely that any banks credit card companys or other institutions are likely to offer you a FULL refund of your charges without you having to issue a court claim.."

And contrary to your above statement, at no point did I even advise RBS of me going to court (as my claim was/is over £1500), never mind issuing a court claim.

The OP scottyb46 is only asking what he should do now that he has been offered a partial refund, I am only advising him to hold out for full amount by using one of the reject letters, edited to suit his own situation, which is exactly what I did myself and I got a "result" with which I am more than happy.

What route do you recommend he follows?

The OP scottyb46 is only asking what he should do now that he has been offered a partial refund, I am only advising him to hold out for full amount by using one of the reject letters, edited to suit his own situation, which is exactly what I did myself and I got a "result" with which I am more than happy.

What route do you recommend he follows?

I have already posted asking the OP for more info before advising.

I am not disputing the quote above, but, i had to point out for the benefit of any one else who may read your previous posts the glaring inaccuracies in your claims RE the OFT ruling and there position on the charges.

As i have said before, you clearly caught the wrong end of the stick on that one.

Sorry lads - I think I should make it clear I have previously won against MBNA and had back over a grand, which was done via MCOL. I used to work, a few years ago now, for one of the credit card companies, so I know how whimsical the basis for charges is by the way - I would struggle to make it up to £1 - and I am an accountant...

My only query is about RBoS, and the fact that when I tried to use MCOL to claim and put in an Edinburgh postcode for the defendant, MCOL would not allow me to continue with putting in the claim. I think I have a way around it, as I think I can submit their Southend-On-Sea card operation address, but before I do that I wondered if there was an alternative procedure to follow.

Sorry again

Scotty