• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Seminole v Abbey: £10,235 RECEIVED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

1. Unless otherwise indicated references to paragraph numbers are references to the numbered paragraphs in the Particulars of Claim dated 11 May 2006.

2. Paragraphs 1 and 2 are admitted, save that the account referred to was closed on 4 April 2005.

3. As to paragraph, it is admitted that the Claimant sent a Subject Access Request ("SAR") dated 11 February 2006. The Defendant subsequently paid the sum of £10 in accordance with section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"). This was received on 21 March 2006.

4. Paragraph 4 is denied. The Defendant denies that it has failed to comply with the SAR. It has provided all the data which the Claimant is entitled to receive pursuant to the Act.

5. Under section 7 of the Act the Claimant is only entitled to receive "personal data". Pursuant to section 1 of the Act "personal data" is defined (in so far as relevant) as:

"data which relate to a living individual who can be identified

(a) from those data, or

(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of or is likely to come into the possession of the data controller..."

6 Pursuant to section 1 of the Act “data” is defined as follows:

(a) is being processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose;

(b) is recorded with the intention that it should be processed by means of such equipment;

© is recorded as part of a relevant filing system or with the intention that it should form part of a relevant filing system; or

(d) does not fall within paragraph (a), (b) or © but forms part of an accessible record as defined by section 68"

7. Section 68 concerns health, educational and public records and therefore sub-section (d) is not relevant to the present proceedings.

8. "Relevant filing system" is defined as:

"any set of information relating to individuals to the extent that, although the information is not processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purposes, the set is structured, either by reference to individuals or by reference to criteria relating to individuals, in such a way that specific information relating to a particular individual is readily accessible".

9. The Claimant's SAR was made in relation to bank statements and information in relation to the charges levied in an account number XXXXXXX held with the Defendant ("Account"). The Defendant keeps this information on its automated "live" system for up to 18 months. In compliance with the SAR, and in accordance with subsection (a) of the definition of "data" under the Act, all relevant data stored on the "live" system was provided to the Claimant under cover of letter dated 23 March 2006.

10. After the 18-month period has elapsed, the Defendant transfers the information held on the live system onto microfiche. The microfiche is then stored and, if necessary, retrieved as follows:

10.1 It is stored in boxes covering a 2-month period (for example, January and February, or March and April). There are usually 4 boxes covering each 2-month period.

10.2 Each box contains a range of account numbers, such that (by way of example only) "box 1" could cover account numbers 1-500 and "box 2" account numbers 501-900.

10.3 In the circumstances, in order to search for microfiche dating back for a period of 4 years would require a member of the Defendant's staff to check the fronts of 96 boxes to identify the relevant boxes containing microfiche records relating to the account, then search the contents of 24 different boxes identified and finally go through an average of 450 different accounts on the particular microfiche in order to locate the specific records of the individual account.

10.4 Each piece of microfiche contains the records of a number of accounts and there is a note on the fiche itself of the range of account numbers that it covers.

10.5 The microfiche in each box are stored in numerical order, although each box contains approximately between 8,000-9,000 pieces of microfiche. The member of staff searching for or retrieving the microfiche has to check through the boxes manually to find the relevant information sought.

10.6 Once the correct microfiche has been identified, the member of staff has to put it into the fiche reading machine and then manually find the correct account number. Once the correct account details have been located the information is then printed onto paper. This process has to be repeated for each piece of microfiche retrieved from each relevant box..

11. Accordingly, the manual microfiche storage and retrieval operations do not fall within the definition of "relevant filing system", such that the information stored as microfiche does not fall within the definition of "data" and is not covered by the provisions of the Act. The records are not stored in a manner broadly comparable with computerised records: they are not sufficiently structured nor readily accessible, they would have to be retrieved manually at great length and cost to the Defendant.

12. In the premises, in not providing such information as is stored on the microfiche, the Defendant has not failed fully to comply with the SAR nor is it in breach of any of its obligations pursuant to the Act.

13. In the circumstances, and as regards paragraph 6, it is denied that the provisions of section 15 of the Act are necessary or proportionately required to resolve the present dispute.

14. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief from the Defendant.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is that I'm not exactly quaking in my shoes! If this is the best that they can come up with, then we should be able to deal with this issue without too much difficulty.

Is it just me, or have they just proved the case for the prosecution?

Actually in light of today's events I think the lawyer must be a Paraguayan. He has a tendency to score own goals.

Is it just me, or have they just proved the case for the prosecution?
That's just what I was thinking. :???:

From the look of it, I would guess that whoever wrote this had never seen the DPA before,and was interpreting it 'on the fly', that is, without reference to any of the legal precedents which nowadays are used as a benchmark for what's covered.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

I wonder if it's worth sending this off to the ICO for an opinion?

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Go on Robert, do it!!!!

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

That's just what I was thinking. :???:

From the look of it, I would guess that whoever wrote this had never seen the DPA before,and was interpreting it 'on the fly', that is, without reference to any of the legal precedents which nowadays are used as a benchmark for what's covered.

Hmm. I am clearly lacking in my understanding of this. Whilst 10.1 to 10.3 seem to suggest that obtaining the correct fiches is relatively simple, the further points detract from this assumption.

Have I missed a key salient point?

Odd

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Basically, the person who composed this piece of drivel, hasn't got a clue.

;) nn

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

10. After the 18-month period has elapsed, the Defendant transfers the information held on the live system onto microfiche. The microfiche is then stored and, if necessary, retrieved as follows:

10.1 It is stored in boxes covering a 2-month period (for example, January and February, or March and April). There are usually 4 boxes covering each 2-month period.

10.2 Each box contains a range of account numbers, such that (by way of example only) "box 1" could cover account numbers 1-500 and "box 2" account numbers 501-900.

10.3 In the circumstances, in order to search for microfiche dating back for a period of 4 years would require a member of the Defendant's staff to check the fronts of 96 boxes to identify the relevant boxes containing microfiche records relating to the account, then search the contents of 24 different boxes identified and finally go through an average of 450 different accounts on the particular microfiche in order to locate the specific records of the individual account.

10.4 Each piece of microfiche contains the records of a number of accounts and there is a note on the fiche itself of the range of account numbers that it covers.

10.5 The microfiche in each box are stored in numerical order, although each box contains approximately between 8,000-9,000 pieces of microfiche. The member of staff searching for or retrieving the microfiche has to check through the boxes manually to find the relevant information sought.

10.6 Once the correct microfiche has been identified, the member of staff has to put it into the fiche reading machine and then manually find the correct account number. Once the correct account details have been located the information is then printed onto paper. This process has to be repeated for each piece of microfiche retrieved from each relevant box..

Whilst the records are stored in date order, the front of the box gives the range of account numbers, and the individual microfiche slides are stored in account number order in the relevant box.

I accept that it may be a time consuming process, but let's be clear - in order to find the transactions for one month, you would be faced with two boxes. On the front of the two boxes would be the account number range. When you have selected the correct box, the slides are in a/c number order, so you could easily locate the slide - I cannot believe then that the accounts are not in order on the slide.

This is a filing system that is used in virtually all office environments for paper records - it is logical, and any suggestion that this is not indexed is absolute garbage.

It is NOT difficult to find the records - it is a little time-consuming, but let's face it they have got 40-days to comply!!

• Confused 1

god it sounds like it takes up loads of time to do this !! hours and hours of hard manual graft !!!!

so why is it they tried to charge us £5.00 for single and £10.00 for multiple copies that have been archived ??

so if it takes them that long, how much are they paying the people by the hour to do it ?? 10p ???

also if they didnt have to send the info out under the dpa ( well they wouldnt would they ? ):???:

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

Bear in mind as well, that because of the nature of the data, all the boxes will be in a secure location and be strictly access controlled, which means that the person doing the searching will probably be a professional archivist who will be able to home in on any file in no time at all.

Sometimes in life you eventually get to one of those Victor Meldrew moments. You know, when all you can think of to say is, "I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!".

I have spent ages trying to find someone with experience of microfiche systems, and just how easy/difficult it is to access a record, and how files are likely to be structured.

Last night I was talking to the wife about Abbey's defence, and exactly how their system works - and she then said that this was exactly the same as the microfiche system she used to work with at an NHS accounts department!!!!

So, after weeks of trying to locate an expert witness........I find I was sleeping with one!!!

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So, after weeks of trying to locate an expert witness........I find I was sleeping with one!!!

At least you weren't sleeping with the enemy!

;) nn

if this is the case how come I got my statements in a approx 7 days after complaining and at no extra cost !!!!

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

I rang up and complained today and I was told that 2000 - 2004 copy statements will be in the post to me (second class) tonight, they must work quick!!!!

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I rang up and complained today and I was told that 2000 - 2004 copy statements will be in the post to me (second class) tonight, they must work quick!!!!

When did you first request them? Was this under the DPA?

I requested them originally on the 4th May, via the call centre, (abroad) rang up a week later to ask why the money hadnt been taken out of my account (scotland) quoted the DPA and they got all apologetic and said that I would have them in about 4 weeks.

Rang up Complaints department today and quoted "DPa" and "40 days" and "escalating complaints" and she said that it would be posted out tonight 2nd class, I will check my account tomorrow to see if they have posted it.

To be honest I will beleive it when i see it, but you never know, perhaps a new directive is to send out copies in a very timely manner

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Sorry to press you on this but how far back do your online records go. My Abbey account is now closed and so I can't check how their system works.

Hey its no problem at all, my online banking only goes back to january, I think that they only let you see a certain amount of transactions.

I thought that my earlier statements (2000-2004) were kept of microfiche "if" I get them in the next few days, it kind of blows away their argument about "it takes alot of time and effort to trawl through and find them" doesnt it?

Hope this helps

Julia

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

My first reaction to reading that process was;

"we have designed an historic filing system that makes it very difficult to find sequential data for a single customer. Because of that design fault, we can't comply with the law".

It's an interesting defence...

"Dear employee, I can't send you a copy payslip because I randomly number them and save them into totally random folders on 14-different machines using non-obvious file names. After an arbitary period, I archive these onto DVDs, which I don't label and then store in random draws and cupboards around the office. As such, it would simply take hours, if not days, for me to find your April payslip, sorry..."

Oh yes! I'm sure that would work...

• Confused 1

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...