• Tweets

• No I have not. I will probably do that
    • Based on ECP's previous, what will definitely happen is this. They will send more idiotic letters. After they will send a Letter of Claim, and it is essential that your brother replies at this point to this to show them he would be big trouble in court. Next it is highly likely (but not certain) that they will crawl back under their stone and that will be the end of the matter. The slight worry is that if they do do court it will seem a likely story to a judge that your brother has no connection to the ticket, when it was him who appealed and replied to the Letter of Claim.  Indeed I think it would seem the lot of you were playing games with ECP and with the court by getting unconnected people involved and then later deny they were involved. So be aware there is that slight risk. You talked about "a mess" in your first post, and you weren't wrong. Someone hires a car and gets a ticket.  There is an appeal.  Who appeals, the hirer?  No, the hirer's mate's son.  Obvious! There is an approach for help to a consumer website.  By the hirer?  No, by the hirer's mate's son's brother! This is so damn silly and totally avoidable. Anyway, it seems the decision has been made for your brother to carry the can so whatever consequences will ensue will ensue. 
    • Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Leeds Mercantile Hearing, 29 August 2007

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Roll up, roll up.. take your positions for the next round of that increasingly popular show "wait for the cheque".

Or to give it the more legally appropriate title "Starter for Leeds Mercantile Court Hearing 29th August:

Anybody requiring information regarding the form and procedures should see the sticky thread entitled 'Mercantile Court Guide' Mercantile Court Guide at the top of this forum. Ignore the piece about Commercial and Admiralty (CPR58 & CPR61), but see post no.3 which deals with CPR59 Mercantile Court.

Also see the threads entitled 'Mercantile Hearing Leeds 26th April 2007' Mercantile Hearing, Leeds, 26th April 2007 and 'Directions Hearing Leeds' Directions Hearing Leeds (held on 7th Feb), Leeds Mercantile Court Hearing(28 June 2007), which is enlightening as to what went on before and at those directions hearing.

Apologies to Calculator for so blatantly stealing his opening post from the previous Hearing Thread, but in this game, it is all about borrowing the text that gets the job done. That's what the Banks and their solicitors do, and now, thanks to CAG and the other internet forums, finally we the public can get the benefit of the same techniques. If it wasn't for the sharing of stories and experiences that goes on here, we'd all be the scared little lambs and innocents that the banks have been bullying for years. At last we get to see their little mind games and scare tactics revealed for the sham that they always have been. We stand tall now, as we stand on the shoulders of giants. Read the previous threads and see what a stout heart and a shared cameraderie can achieve.

Once more unto the breach my friends, once more... Cry God, for Harry, England and St George!!!!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calculator

Thank you.

If you get any time later, do you think you could cast an eye over the last one and see if there is any advice given early on that should be ignored. In other words, was anything learned during the course of that thread which we can put at the beginning of this one? Links to particular posts within threads for example, that might carry the optimum wording, etc.

I'm hoping that my fawning and obsequious praise for your previous posts might encourage you to offer similar help to those of us approaching the arena for the next round...

The other important link is posts 15 and 19 on the thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mercantile-court-cases-stays/96212-case-management-info-sheet.html. (By all means read all posts on that thread). It is referred to in the thread 'Mercantile Court Guide', so most people would in any case come across it there.

One question that seems to get asked a lot is 'what do I need to take to the case management conference / directions hearing?' and it seems to lead to a lot of confusion. I suggest claimants read posts 109 to 123 on the thread 'Leeds Mercantile Court Hearing 28th June 2007', but pay particular attention to post 115. (Update: see updated information at posts 7 to 10 on this 29th August thread).

The other thing that often happens is that people jump in with their own question without reading the previous posts and they are often repeating questions that have already been asked and answered. Therefore if you are a newcomer, take the time to read previous posts.

Also if you are posting a question / asking for advice, give as much background information as you can about your claim relative to the question that you are asking. You will only get a satisfactory answer if the person answering the question fully understands the facts behind your question.

One last point, the various CAG forums cover the full court system - ie County Court (Small Claims Track and occasionally Multi-Track) and Mercantile Court (Multi-track, not usually Small Claims Track). (The Mercantile Court is the High Court). If you are using/copying documents from other forums/threads make sure they are appropriate for the particular Court that you are in.

I hope the above helps.

Anybody reading this who attended the 28th June Leeds hearing, while it is still fresh in your minds, can you please give an update on this new thread as to the documents you actually used at hearing and whether you feel any other documents should be taken.

Thanks.

The only information useful that I took was all copies of correspondence between myself and the bank and their solicitors as well as copy statements with the charges on. They were handy to be able to give to the rep of the bank who had no paperwork on my case at all!!!

Good luck to everybody attending. Hopefully your cases will be settled before you get to the court date, like most for 28 June.

Another thing, although it's easy to say now, don't be nervous - it's not as bad as you think it's going to be. I was so nervous I felt sick, but meeting Jenny Barton et al and talking to the others in the same position really helped to alleviate the nerves.

Good luck everybody for 29 August.

Angie

I agree, get together a "mini bundle" i took..

Paticulars of claim,

Up to date charges interest and costs breakdown,

OFT Press release,

A few case laws

All correspondance

copy of cmi sheet.

Take 2 of everything just incase the banks rep has "mislaid" your details.

Funnily enough, no one was arguing the lawfulness of charges, the arguments which were going on were on wether the figures matched their's. But incase you have to put your case to the judge/bank take what you see fit.

Jenny

here here i second third and fourth all that others have said !

After much much sweating and fretting about what to take photocopying reading and rereading and reading again all you really needed was your CMI sheet, schedule of charges x3 and bank statements to back them up.

It is best i think to bring like Jenny said, your correspondence with Bank as if they "mislay" your claim details again you have solid evidence that you have sent them the stuff they need !

But in depth knowledge of the issues etc wasnt really required as it was and is just a Directions hearings, the lawyers there representing the Banks said repeatedly we arent under instruction to argue the questions posed they just either sorted out a settlement or in some cases agree further directions and also make rather pathetic excuses for their clients APPARENT INABILITY to keep hold of claim details till the necessary time !

I would say it would be a good idea to read Gary H thread here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html

to understand the process a bit better as some of the lawyers seemed to try to chat @@@@ to imtimidate people blinding them with big words etc well you know what will happen next etc....

oh just to add that gary h thread is useful but like calculator pointed out the witness statement etc is arguing for allocation to small claims track and Judge wont let that happen once its in mercantile its staying there till they get a test case.

It is useful to understand the process though

hi there

i received an order dated 30/05/07 telling me my case had been transferred to leeds mercantile court and heard nothing since so am assuming my date will be august as well. I will ring court in the morning to check.

your posts above have been very useful and i think i will get my bundles done within the next 2 weeks so i don't have a last minute panic.

How do i go about adding my court costs to my claim and can you tell me as Northampton court had dispensed with the AQ when they transferred my case to leeds mercantile , is there some sort of £100 fee i have to pay and when am i told i am to pay it as apart from the order dates 30/05/07 i have received sweet nothing since.

thanks again

regards

stl

Hi STL, You only have to pay the aq fee if they ask for it, if they dont ask dont worry about it. Out of my claims i have only done the AQ once.

Jenny

Spoke to the Clerk who looked after the June 28th hearing (Case Management Conference) and she said that 80 cases went forward. This seems to have been just the Alliance and Leicester cases (ie, the ones where the A&L representative did not show up, therefore cases got a 28 day stay).

She couldn't access the file to confirm the total number of cases that had been scheduled but we know it was close to 300. All, repeat ALL, apart from the A&L, were settled by the nice men in suits. This is not guaranteed to be the same outcome for the future cases, of course, yet we can all see how history is repeating itself...

The number of cases scheduled for August will continue to rise, until a cut-off point two weeks before the hearing.

i spoke to a very helpful lady in Leeds Mercantile Court today as apart from an order dated 30/05/07 saying my case had been transfered there i have heard nothing since. My case is in the "work to be done " file which means they have yet to look at it ( she kindly explained they had been inundated ) and she said she thought it was probable that i would be listed for 29th August

I would advise anyone wondering as a result of not hearing anything to maybe ring the court on 0113-306-2460; they answered the phone quickly and were friendly and helpful

regards

stl

Re: Scoobz v Alliance & Leicester...

Well I've booked my seat at Leeds on 29th August 2007. Received my confirmation today that the hearing will take place at 10.30am before His Honour Judge Kaye QC. :)

I'm taking bets that A&L don't show as per June hearing and also yesterday in Hull! I really do hope that the Judges take some action with them.

Bring it on....

Scoobz

I also received my confirmation yesterday - i'll see you there scoobz!

I don't understand why A&L just don't settle, surely this is costing them a bit,

Scoobz have you done your CMI?

Hi Donna

Nice to know you're going to be in court on same day... more the merrier .. Can't believe A&L's attitude towards these claims, like you said don't know why they don't just pay up and shut up!!!! :rolleyes:

I haven't done my CMI yet but I've printed off the links from the CMI thread as to what to put on it as some of the questions are beyond me.... Calculator and j.barton1 have been really helpful on these links... if you need any help just shout up...

I've just filed my next claim with Halifax Credit Card so I'm hoping they will be a little easier to deal with...

Scoobz

Good luck to both of you, My claim still has not got directions from the judge yet. All we want is our money...come on Scragge and co....

LOL...

Jennyxx

Thanks Jenny

Hope you hear something soon from scraggey wraggey and from Judge...A&L are really taking the mickey with these claims... surely they know that they will have to pay up in the end so why not just do it now and save all this messing about and the bad publicity it's bringing them. It must be costing them a fortune with the solicitors bills (they would be better using this money to pay us).

I'm sure they are going to do the same thing with the next hearing and just 'no show' and drag it on and on and on... I think we're in for a long wait!

Scoobz

Received 'Notice Of Case Note Management' hearing on 29 August 2007 at 10.30.

Only been asked to submit at least 7 days before the directions hearing a completed case management information sheet in accordance with cpr 59.

I'm claiming from Lloyds so hope for a good outcome - very nervous.

Lozza,

Try not to be nervous. Many cases get settled either before or on the day with no problem.

If you haven't already seen them, links to CPR59 and the CMI sheet are given at posts 1 and 4 on page 1 of this thread.

As a matter of interest, how many other cases are listed for the 29th August on the papers that the Court sent you?

I rang the court as they didn't include a schedule - even though it said so on the letter - so I don't know how many cases are bieng heard.

They said they would be amending future letters to so that they don't have to send a schedule out.

Also, when would you say is the best time to forward a completed cmis form - nearer the time or asap - and should I include the questions as well as the answers or just the answers.

Hi Guys....... I'm also listed for the Leeds Merc on the 29th August 2007.

Not for one, nor two, but three of my cases, Abbey, HSBC, and Bank Of Scotland.

CMI to be sent at least 7 days before the date, so furiously sent off my last offer to them all at full including court costs but not additional costs.

This is part of my original claim that they settle all additional costs due to their unreasonable behaviour so they can't just attempt to settle charges and interest alone ;):D

Will be filling out my CMI sheet by the back end of next week.....certainly before the month end..... this will just add to the overall bill... oh joy! :D

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

And a useful clarification to Boys and Girls......

When a claim is allocated to the Mercantile Courts it is to be treated as if it has been allocated to the Multi-Track.........

In other words, no matter what the value of your claim....be it 10p or £10,000, you can apply for ALL costs and they will be awarded to the successful party :D

In two of my claims, which both come to £200 each, my additional costs total £160 each less N1 and AQ costs!

If I have to travel to Leeds for this Case Management Hearing the additional costs bill will shoot up by another £100 easily!

Commercially palatable to the Banks?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink: