IT Training Company providing pirate software

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To set the scene, about 4 years ago I was made redundant from an IT role. With lots of experience but little qualifications, I decided to obtain accreditation with Microsoft to become a Systems Engineer using my redundancy money. I decided to save a few quid by doing this through distance learning (3 grand instead of 9 for a residential course) and chose a local IT training company to do it with, for personal reasons I never finished the course and about 3 years ago I wrote it off as a bad mistake.

Well.....

I just had a rather peculiar letter through the door this weekend, which reads like this - note I have had to remove quite a bit in order to keep the accused anonymous so hope I've still made sense here:

100% REFUND ON YOUR IT TRAINING (PUBLIC NOTICE)

Dear Student

The training material supplied to you for your [training company's name] course is an unlicensed Pirate copy. This means that all associated software has not been endorsed by the appropriate software manufacturer. You have all been tricked, lied to and missold a dream.

Regardless of your progress on the course or when you enrolled you are entitled to a full refund on your course fees and if applicable, finance interest. Also any incurred expenses and compensation can be charged.

Since the inception of [training company's name] or [limited company's name] as they are officially known, only FOUR individuals from a total of over 3000 have passed their IT training Courses. Primarily this is due to the fact that they have inadequate support and tuition and poor training material. The company claims to be a Microsoft Learning Solutions Training Partner. To achieve this awared the company needs at least two MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainers). They only have one - [MCT's name].

[MCT'], [General Manager] and [A N Other] all knew and were actively involved in the Piracy.

The Managing Director of the [training company's new name!!!], as it is now branding itself, consisting of [limited company's name], [two other trading names] is a [Mr X]. He is fully aware and endorsing the copying of IT software and in many cases training materials without copyright license. He can be found at [address of company] or is home address [his home address!!!]

Mr X is not a stranger to controversy having had dealings with the WatchDog in Wales. This may be a further matter for the BBC WatchDog or Ferret as it is known in Wales. In addition to this, Mr X has twice had his LSC license suspended! The company is currently offering Plumbing courses and is currently having major problems with false promises to students and unqualified courses.

To stop Mr X from continuing with his bullish attitude to students and his lack of concern, once the company has the student's money, you must do all the suggested......

1 Keep safe all discs, brochures, enrolment and finance forms. They could be used as evidence for a criminal investigation. Do not return your disks to [training company's name].

2 If funded by Clydesdale Finance, write to [Managing Director of CF]. State clearly that you have been provided with Pirate software and that you will be stopping all further payments to them and you demand a full and immediate refund.

3 If funded through a Career Development Loan you will have to write to the Learning Skills Council and the bank which approved your CDL. Again, state clearly that you have been provided with pirate software and that you will be stopping all further payments to them and you demand a full and immediate refund.

4 If funded by [limited company's name] you simply write to them asking for a full refund and stop all standing orders to the company. You may in this instance wish to write to the OFT informing them that you wish for [limited company's name] to have their Consumer Credit License withdrawn. It is interesting to note that none of the sales people are covered contractually by the company's consumer credit license. Again you have been sold finance illegally. You can also take up the matter with your local trading standards office.

5 Please contact Microsoft directly, this can be done on the Microsoft piracy reporting website

6 Finally Piracy software is a criminal offense so report to your local police station.

I have been doing some research this evening and have discovered, that I paid something in the region of £3200 for this course. It WAS funded by the company itself but I paid for it outright once I received my redundancy money. This situation isn't covered in the above list of options (but I have a pretty good idea what I can do lol ). I'm pretty sure that I don't have any of the papers or documentation that I was given either. I am hunting round the house trying to unearth anything in relation to the course and am scouring the old PC for any old letters I sent them - so far the only records I can find is a discussion via email with the company regarding my intention to stop the course and my (failed) request for a partial refund and the payments (by standing order, then a lump sum by cheque) on my statements (thank goodness for SARs!!).

I have sent an email to both Watchdog and the Ferret (ITV Wales' equivalent of WD) to see whether they have had similar contact from others and to try and find out how valid this is as the letter is anonymous!!

Anyone care to input??

Anyone (long shot) had this letter too?? Would be interested to hear from you.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

It's not clear.........

I've contacted the OFT who are passing my details on to Trading Standards, I've also contacted Microsoft, the Ferret and Watchdog.

I'm concerned right now by the fact that this letter doesn't make clear who it has come from and therefore could be a hoax by a disgruntled ex employee and as a result am stressing this to all I am contacting.

The ferret have responded saying that they have had lots of people contacting them and they have got in touch with the company - they have responded by saying that there are no grounds to the allegations. It is going to be on the ferret's next programme which is on ITV Wales @ 7.30 tomorrow.

We shall wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not counting the money out yet, but I am making enquiries with the relevant parties involved in order to find out whether these allegations are true or not.

All quite exciting though!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Agreed which makes me wonder whether it has come internally. It would seem lots of others have been contacted as well from the ferret's response. Not making any moves that could cause me trouble (as in contacting the police or sending prelims) just yet until I know more.

Will watching the programme with interest tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.....

I'm concerned right now by the fact that this letter doesn't make clear who it has come from and therefore could be a hoax by a disgruntled ex employee and as a result am stressing this to all I am contacting.

This is my concern.

Alarm bells are ringing quite loudly on this one.

You are right to hold on for a while.

Trading standards have contacted me this morning to acknowledge my complaint and also to confirm that I am one of many (nationwide, not just wales) to have registered complaints. They have a copy of the letter, a copy of the software and are looking into it.

He has is concerns as have I, but has said that they are working to proving the letter is right or wrong either way and will be contacting everyone in a week or so.

I've also requested a copy of the cheque I paid to this company from my bank which will be with me in a few days in case its needed.

Sky plussed the ferret programme on tonight, interested in what this will have to say.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is still ongoing.

In the last month I've had 4 letters........

2 are from the training company telling me that there is no truth in any of the allegations and responding to each point in turn and I suspected suggesting that it is the work of two disgruntled ex employees.

I have had acknowledgment from Microsoft and Trading Standards to say they have registered my issues and will let me know when they hear any more. I have been in contact with trading standards via phone too to discuss a few things.

And that's about it! TS haven't ruled out the possibility that this is true.....YET so we shall wait and see.

• 6 years later...

This thread is now in "Training & Apprenticeships" forum

It is purely an administrative move.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D