• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Scissorheart v Natwes - Dealing with Cobbetts - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks

This has all happend fairly quickly so let me keep its as sweet as possible

1. Got Bank Statements, sent first letter.

2. "We think it's fair balah blah **** off we aint giving you your money back"

3. Second Letter Sent

4. Reply Says " I note that you are now to initiate legal action and can I please remind you that the address is that of our registered Office, below. I have alerted our lawyers and litigation department of your intention.

Again I am sorry that you have chosen this route but I am grateful to you for letting me know - Stuart Higley"

Is this a standard response? The haven't budged and refused to even part refund?

Rob

www.myspace.com/idlejackandthebigsleep - THIS IS MY BAND! CHECK IT OUT!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lueeze

How much do they owe you?

Quite often you have to file the papers before they cough up, try not to worry, brush up on the court procedure in the meantime!

Lou x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right here we go.

Firstly, I have made a slight error on my court claim against NatWest. All the letters etc went to them in order but stupidly, I put lloyds TSB on the form (as I am trying to reclaim from them as well) and the court notice shows Natwest's address etc but says the claimant is Lloyds TSB. They have actually acknowledged the claim however. Is this going to screw me up do you think?

Secondly, I have no control over my current account. For certain reasons, I pay £100 pund a month into what used to be my current account and this literaly offsets against the outsatnding loan balance. Therefore, when NatWest eventually pay out, will they stick it into this account? If so, it will offset against my loan and I do not want thiis to happen at all! Can I write them a letter insisting that I want it in the form of a cheque or can I open up a new cash card account and insist that any funds settled in court get paid into this account?

You need to return to the court in person to remedy this situation, you may have to start a new claim as putting the wrong name for service on the court document is the sort of error that could cause your case to be dismissed instantly, you can presumably see why it would cause confusion to court staff and judges. They need exact name and address to process your claim.

As for the payment, I can understand why you aren't keen for the money to go into that account but alot of settlements are paid straight into the account that is in dispute. However, some recent cases that have been handled by Cobbetts (NW solicitors) have been sent a cheque in the post. If you get to this stage, and you are offered a settlement, you might be able to ask for a cheque.

Lots of people are in this dilemma and are philosophical about returned charges being used to clear old overdrafts etc and for your future financial health it is worth considering.

The court staff are usually very helpful so do go and sort this out with them in person.

good luck with the pickle!

kate

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Folks

Cobbets have sent me their big old defence package. I am a bit confused now. Do I need to send them something back? A few things bouncing round this forum seem to suggest that i do.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Rob a.k.a Scissorheart

Hi Rob,there 's about 4 of us at this stage in our claim,Cobbetts will have sent you the same doc as us.Turn the last page back(crafty) on itself...does it say?

claiment ****

an

defendant NWB

CPR PART 18 REQUEST

Part 18 does not apply to the small claims track.(CLAIMS UNDER £5,000)

Barracad says

There is no need to respond to part 18 requests other than to point out that you consider that the inquiry is intimidatory as part 18 is excluded and that you intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court.>

hopefully you will get your money back soon

Tim

Cheers mate

So what exactly do I have to do now then? Do I have to send anything back at all? I have a kind of beige form that needs sending back so do I just say something like

"Under the CPR Part 18 request, I am not actually obliged to provide such information as it is not a prerequisite of a small claim cout proceeding"

I am a bit lost folks.

Rob

Is this the extent that they go to!??? It's well dodgy!

Rob,does it say CPR Part 18 on the form from cobbetts??

mine did but i havent any beige or any response form to fill in!!

Anyhow this is a copy of my letter to cobbitts (just sent by post 6th july 2006)

address date

Nat West Account: ********

Sort code: ********

Northampton County Court

Claim No :******

Between ****** (claimant)

and

National Westminster Bank PLC (defendant)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I Acknowledge the receipt of the defence posted on behalf of National Westminster Bank plc.

I am not prepared at this stage to answer the CPR Part 18 Request. I anticipate that the claim will be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request.

Furthermore I consider that the CPR part 18 request is intimidatory and I intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court.

However, for clarity, I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account Name: *******

Account number: Nat West Account:******

Please also find enclosed a breakdown of all charges I am claiming

*********Breakdown of charges here*************************

Plus Interest Calculated from date of court issue 31/05/06 to 04/07/06 at £18.56 at 8% plus court fees £120.00

Total Amount claimed to date 04/07/06 (ongoing at 8%) £2748.52 (my claim)

your name *****

Cheers for the reply dude.

Its the allocation questionairre that I have (the beige form). Does that need to be sent to my local county court? If so, they haven't given me a forwarding address!?

Or does it go back to Northampton? (Or cobbets for that matter!)

Oh err!??

Rob

Threads merged - please stick to one thread!

The AQ must be returned by the deadline stated. This needs to be returned to the court and, depending on the value of the claim, there may be a fee to pay.

Ignore the Part 18 request - there is no need to respond to this.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Or does it go back to Northampton? (Or cobbets for that matter!)>

Ive asked this question but no one has replied as yet!

I think (?) that it now goes to your local court and i was waiting to hear from them

as ive said..Ive not had this beige form!

When you receive the Allocation Questionnaire it will say which court your case has been transferred to.

This is where you return the form to, along with the fee if applicable.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Folks

For your information, it has to be sent tou YOUR local county court. You get a letter from HMCS at around the same time as Cobbitts and the front sheet has your County Court's address printed on it.

Cheers.

Sorry for being blind!

Rob

Had a letter back from Cobbits saying

We note your comments on the Request for Further Information. Please note that Part 27.2(f) appiles subject to paragraph 3 of part 27.2 which states that the Court of its own iitiative may order a party to provide further information if it considers that is appropriate to do so.

It is our clients contention that your Particulars of Claim do not properly particularise your claim. For example, our client cannot properly defend a claim where you have not given your account details and the details of each charge you claim is disproportianate and unreasonable.

The court is bound by an overiding objective to deal with cases justly and ensure that parties are on an equal fotting. It is clearly the case that our client cannot respond to your claim where you have not provided sufficent particulars. Our client objects to your allegayion that the request is intimidating.

Accordingly, on allocation of this matter, we will be suggesting that the case management directions cannot be proposed until you serve a full and detailed Reply to our Request.

Yours Faithfully

Cobbits etc.

What next folks?

I am bit worried now.

Rob a.k.a Scissorheart

We note your comments on the Request for Further Information. Please note that Part 27.2(f) appiles subject to paragraph 3 of part 27.2 which states that the Court of its own initiative may order a party to provide further information if it considers that is appropriate to do so.

Well they've just proved that they have no right to demand a response to a Part 18 - only a court can do this.

Seriously, don't worry about it (look who's talking, I freaked out!).

I got exactly the same letter, as did everyone else who's reached this stage probably.

Can I just say that I thought the bit in FAQs about filling in the AQ form was excellent and clear.

Your money is not far away now Rob - have faith and try not to stress too much!!

But then again, what do I know?

Hi Rob,Ive had word for word same letter this afternoon...from cobbitts

oh..it says thank you for your schedule of charges...the only difference!

it says..i have not given account details..actually ive given them TWICE on my letter...so..looks like another standard **** off from them!!(sounds like ronnie cobbitt

and its p off from me as well :) )

[MODERATED: Mind your language please]

Cheers guys. You really are most helpful indeed.

Do I need to send cobbetts a letter or something in response to their idiotic letter? I have already sent the allocation questionnaire to the county court here in York.

Rob

Tell them that having been in contact with other Nat West claimants you are now aware of their recently devised tactics & their attempts to cause claimants in person to give up. You will no longer be responding to their requests which are meant to intimidate you & you will only respond to the order of the court leaving matters to be settled by the court. Send copies of all such correspondence to the court making sure that you CC the letter to show Cobblers you have done so

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks