• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Supanet - xxxxxxxxxx **** Resolved****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have some retired neighbours who only learnt how to use a computer 6 years ago and at that time on the advise of a friend signed them up with Supanet.

I always help them if they have problems with their computer and make sure they don't get into any muddles, so a couple of days ago they asked me to have a look at their computer as it was very slow loading web pages.

Having looked at it I found it was the speed (3 mbps) When they first joined Supanet it was around 5 mbps and they had unlimited downloads (as everyone did several years ago). They did not know they were not getting the same benefits from their broadband connection as they had 6 years ago as no-one had ever told them. Once a year they would get a call from Supanet to ask if they were happy and they said they were as the speed reduction only happened recently and they thought it was the computer at fault. They only use the computer to check bank statement, pay bills and read and send email, so only log in once or twice a week and never for more for an hour or so.

I suggested they change providers as they are paying £13.99 a month for 3mbps and 2 gig download limit a month - and they agreed, I tried to ring Supanet for a MAC code and couldn't get any answer so tried again the next day, on the third day I manged to get an answer and they said that in order to leave Supanet they would have to pay the balance of an 18 month contract started last September. My neighbours have never agreed by phone or email at any time during the past 6 years to take on any further contracts as they have not been asked so the original contract of one year has just rolled over each year. Last September they found that the direct debit payent to Supanet had been increased considerably so they rang to query it and were told that it was a 'technical error' and would be adjusted on the next payment. This was corrected and that was the only conversation they had with Supernet. Now Supernet are saying that in the process of that call, my neighbours agreed to a new 18 month contract but my neighbours they are adamant that contracts were not discussed then or any other time.

They have a Supernet email address that they had never used but they did have a note of the login details to this email account. I logged into it and there were hundreds of email as they go back 6 years and every month there is a monthly account email from Supanet and a link to log in online to see their bill, no emails mentioning contracts. I rang Supanet and asked if they would have sent an email confirming any new contract and they said they sent one each year as they had phoned my neighbours each year and they had agreed to renew each time and a confirmation email will have been sent each time. They offered to send a copy of the emails and I told them not to as they would prove nothing.

I know my neighbours well enough to know that if they had agreed to any new contracts they would have known about it, but they are adamant that Supanet have never mentioned contracts in any calls.

I have asked Supanet for a MAC code and they have hinted that the next 8 months of the 'contract' will have to be paid upfront first so having insisted they provide the code I am waiting for a couple of days to see if one arrives.

I am not sure where to go from here, if it was me I could cancel the direct debit and go elsewhere but my neighbours are frightened of being 'taken to court' if they don't pay.

I have asked to escalate my complaint to a manager and apparently will get called back within about 5 days.

I will be grateful for any advice as can feel my blood pressure rising at the thought that my neighbours are being treated like this - probably because they are pensions so therefore easy targets!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope I have explained it clearly enough.

Edited by SuzyJ

Hi suzy

Welcome to CAG

Have a read of number 18 in my signature.

18) OFCOM - COMPLAINTS CLICK HERE

Don't waste your time on the phone, a Formal Letter of Complaint mark , mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let your neighbours down and what you want them to do. Explain that you will take the matter further if it isn't resolved.

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Send it Recorded.

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Send it straight to the Chief Exec / MD of the company..... You should state that they have been loyal customers of the service, but are extremely disappointed at what has happened etc etc.

Thank you for the very fast responses, I can't find an address for Supanet though - will keep looking. I did ask to speak to the MD on the phone and was told he doesn't speak to people on the phone, asked for the Assistant MD, then any manager then a supervisor, got the same answer apart from the supervisor request and was told they don't have supervisors. Was told that 'the manager' would be informed of my request and will ring me (eventually). Will read the link in the above post. Again thank you and will keep you informed but will have to handle it carefully as my neighbours are the kind to 'not want the hassle - just pay and be done with it' and I can't let that happen as it is what so many elderly people do and that's how these situations are created in the first place and pensioners are parted with their hard earned savings.

Bearing in mind that he has gatekeepers to keep customers / salesmen away from him, from personal experience sending a letter straight to the top does get attention, Directors care more about company image problems than employees at a lower level within corporates, he probably doesn't get many complaints directly sent to him, you may find that you get a very quick response.

I have found Supanet's address - it's in Cyprus! Not sure what to do now, does anyone know if there is an address in the UK? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

There have now been some developments.

The letter to the Managing Director was sent by recorded delivery, would have arrived last Monday and was followed by a phone call from the usual contact at Supanet. He insisted my neighbours were making a mistake by leaving, as no-one would be able to give them a better deal than Supanet (which he said included BT Infinity supplied by Supanet!), he also said that I was wrongly advising them and accused me of taking advantage of a couple of Pensioners! I didn't tell him that I am also a Pensioner.

We had received the MAC code the same day so told them that we would be using it straight away. The person who rang from Supanet was extremely rude, argumentative and shouted me down during the whole conversation.

My neighbours were given a Supernet email address when they first joined 6 years ago but only used it for a couple of weeks then opened a different email account which they have used ever since. Since then the Supanet account had never been looked at so just to be sure I checked it to see if there were any emails from Supanet confirming any 'new contracts' or any emails advising of Terms and Condition' at any time during the past six years and there were none. This email account will be deleted by Supanet on Monday when their service ceases apparently.

When calling Supanet there is no announcement that 'calls are being recorded' and my neighbours, who are not stupid as Supanet seems to think, they are adamant that no-one from Supanet has ever spoken to them about continuing their Broadband supply so the contract has rolled over each year without discussion. They have had an annual call from Supanet asking them if they are 'happy' and that's it.

After the unpleasant call from Supanet, offering other 'deals' that they say are better than they can get anywhere else, we activated the MAC code with a new supplier and the change over will be on Monday. In the meantime Supernet are now asking for a large sum of money in a letter as follows:-

Remainder of contract - £139.99

Cancellation fee - £39.99

Current amount outstanding £13.99

The last amount of £13.99 was paid by DD on the 8th May.

They have demanded payment of this within 7 days!

Needless to say my neighbours are concerned but still insist that they have not agreed to any further contracts from Supanet in the past 6 years and there is no paperwork or emails confirming any. They have all their original letters agreeing to the supply when they first had their Broadband connected 6 years ago and no correspondence since.

I am not sure what the best move is now, should I write back to Supanet and ask for proof of this non-existent 'contract' or go straight to Ofcom, Watchdog etc. or just ignore it and wait to see if a CC arrives in the post?

I am furious at this treatment of my neighbours and I want to handle it properly for them so appreciate any advise that keeps me calm and in control!

Hi suzy

Write another letter to the Managing Director, I'm trying to figure out why they owe any monies, if anything it should be a month for the 'cancellation period' as it's a 'rolling contract'. Tell them the only amount that is owing is a month which they have collected, they have no right to ask for any other monies. If there is a live 'Direct Debit', it needs to be cancelled. Tell them no other monies will be paid and if you have further problems or issues with Supanet, you will lodge a complaint with Trading Standards, OFCOM and not limited to those bodies. In your letter to them mention their aggressive attitude towards you over the phone. Send it Recorded.

If anything the service they have received has been shocking, they should be compensated.

Thanks, I was thinking what you have suggested, nice to have it confirmed. They are trying to claim that a new 18 month contract was negotiated last September which it certainly was not and contracts have never been discussed in the past 5 years since the original 12 month one expired. Also the service last September was downgraded by Supanet without my neighbours knowledge, they thought their laptop was getting slower!

The direct debit was cancelled immediately after the verbally aggressive phone call that followed the letter I sent informing them that my neighbours were going elsewhere for their broadband.

Hi suzy

I would contact the Ombudsman, explain whats been going on - everything. Explain that you think they should get some of their monies back, see how to proceed and what they can do. This is as well as the letter, but ring them first,

they might have info that you can add to the letter.

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

Thanks, I was thinking what you have suggested, nice to have it confirmed. They are trying to claim that a new 18 month contract was negotiated last September which it certainly was not and contracts have never been discussed in the past 5 years since the original 12 month one expired. Also the service last September was downgraded by Supanet without my neighbours knowledge, they thought their laptop was getting slower!

The direct debit was cancelled immediately after the verbally aggressive phone call that followed the letter I sent informing them that my neighbours were going elsewhere for their broadband.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much has happened over the Bank Holidays to update you with. I sent one more letter, this time to the Accounts Department, the person who sent the 'final' invoice. On the assumption that this person had no idea of what had been happening previously I wrote a letter detailing why this money would not be paid and asking for proof of any contract. I told this person that the Customer Services person had a bullying and intimidating attitude and considered that not only were any further payments warranted or due but there is probably a case for compensation as a result of this persons attitude.

A reply arrived today which I have scanned but cannot add it as I have not submitted enough posts yet.

They are now saying that the 'contract' expires in November 2012, previously they said it expired in February 2013. They have also included a letter that they claim they sent in September 2011 which is called an 'Order Confirmation' This states it is for Broadband at £13.99 per month, no mention of how long for just 'Contract as per standard terms' No attached terms and conditions even though it says they are attached. Signed by 'The Supanet Team'. No mention of any department or person supposedly spoken to. This letter has obviously just been prepared and backdated to try to justify their demands.

I have now written to the Ombudsman with all the details and awaiting a reply. I do not know how long it will be before I hear from them but hopefully it won't be too long so I can reply to this latest demand before they try to send a CCJ as this could be very frightening to my neighbours.

I have tried to add this letter but it doesn't work, I had scanned it to a PDF but it doesn't show on here the way it is in my file. Sorry, will try to find a way round this problem.

Edited by SuzyJ
Does not appear as expected

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or ir you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

I have tried to add this letter but it doesn't work, I had scanned it to a PDF but it doesn't show on here the way it is in my file. Sorry, will try to find a way round this problem.

No surprise there, predictable.

'They have also included a letter that they claim they sent in September 2011 which is called an 'Order Confirmation' This states it is for Broadband at £13.99 per month, no mention of how long for just 'Contract as per standard terms' No attached terms and conditions even though it says they are attached. Signed by 'The Supanet Team'. No mention of any department or person supposedly spoken to. This letter has obviously just been prepared and backdated to try to justify their demands.

Have struggled over adding these letters, couldn't follow the instructions but have ended up with this and don't know if it will work or not.

If not will try again. I have never done anything this complicated before so hope it works.

Supanet letter converted to Word (2).doc

Edited by SuzyJ
Have not removed all personal information, will re attach when corrected.

Have emailed the fos - only did that this morning so awaiting a reply. If it takes too long will probably contact Trading Standards, also considering Rip Off Britain, Watchdog etc.