• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

stuart v's ulsterbank

smcgall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have been posting to other people's threads quite unaware that i had to start my own. Here goes:

I have received three years worth of statements, not the full six requested as my acc was previously a joint acc. My charges on statements received is £1186.06 so i am about to send a letter asking for a full refund of charges to date.

I will update this thread as i have something to report.;)

Stuart

If I have helped then please click on my scales.

Ulster bank

---------------------------------------------------

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

06/11/06 Request of repayment sent £1186.06

20/11/06 Repayment deadline

21/11/06 LBA sent

25/11/06 £90 goodwill gesture letter received

06/12/06 LBA deadline

09/12/06 Received final response to claim

I will register smallclaim in new year once Jan paycheque is in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused:Hello Stuart. I too am with Ulsterbank and they're using stalling tactics, keep me up to date with your claim. This is mine so far. After receiving my banking history from the bank, I have recently sent it back with my estimation of the charges I'm entitled to. This amounted to £1335.00 over five years. They have since responded with a letter that they have acted within the law and offered a goodwill gesture of £135.00 which they placed in my account. Not happy. The way I look at it, if they did no wrong doing, they wouldn't hand over a penny. Round 1 done, now round 2. I have contacted Consumer Action Group for help, I'll let you know how I got on. Dee

dee and smcg- remember to send schedule of charges with the prelim

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

ulster bank will pay up in full but you have got to be prepared to go all the way.

to the best of my knowledge they have not been in court yet, but have settled beforehand with a confidentiallity clause. this is why you don't see to many success stories about NI banks.

thanks for the posts guys i'll keep you updated

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

Hi All

I have sent off my gimme my money back you scoundrels

letter recorded delivery today and await with great interest the response.I'm at work at the mo, so will post the letter in full when i get a chance tomorrow.

ATB

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

Hi Guys

Just an update, my bank manager phoned on Friday and spoke to my wife ( i was at work). Apparently he was a bit confused as to my 14 day deadline he thought it was a manditory 40 day turnaround. He also wanted a breakdown of charges (my fault didn't include the spreadsheet with letter) so have sent an amended letter including spreadsheet but reminding him of deadline.

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

glad to hear of someone else taking on one of the big 4 banks in N.ireland... I have just sent off my lba to bank of ireland asking for 2000 back! but i am prepared to go all the way with them will be filing online court action with them if they havent replied by wednesday!!

Always glad to hear of someone else taking up the fight.

On more breaking news, my bank manager Gerard Wilson (who has never found the need to speak to me before, esp when charging me thousands over the years) phoned me again today. He is clearly worried about something as he phoned me to tell me that he is on holiday for the next few days...... Not sure if he extended this service to all of the Belfast city branches customers maybe you could all let me know? He also assured me that although he was not available one of his collegues would be looking after my account.

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

Haha, that is very amusing. Sounds like a worried man to me!

I am just about to submit my claim to the court, claiming off Northern Bank. Recently they sent me a letter saying they won't honour my direct debits anymore. A few days after that they sent me a letter saying they have noticed my income has dropped since May (I changed banks for one source of income), so they were offering their support and gave me the name of this guy within my branch with his own direct line. One hand claims to be oh so caring, the other hand takes all they can get from you!

Take them all the way Stuart!

Northern Bank Ltd.

19/08/06 - Data Protection Letter Request.

26/09/06 - Statements received (October 1999 - September 2006).

13/10/06 - Letter requesting refund of £643 charges sent.

30/10/06 - Letter Before Action sent.

13/11/06 - Refund of £224 Offered. Offer Refused.

11/12/06 - Court Claim filed against NB.

21/12/06 - SETTLED IN FULL - £784.36.

stuart

i was wondering have you had any settlement yet, Im still waiting on my statements. When i get them do i add them all up minus the interest with the first letter and give a 14 day deadline. :confused:

Blessings stacey

Practical and exciting. The Consumer Action Group, it wont let you down.

Hi Stacey

You need to add up all irregular acc fees up untill about 18 months ago, i think it was ususally about £12 and since then it has been £30. In fact anything that has been charged to your acc is suspect.

ATB

Stuart

• Haha 1

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

Thanks stuart i have loads of £12 charges some £60 and some £30:mad:

But do i ad the interest on the first letter requesting the money. Just wondering hows your claim going is your deadline up or have they paid up?? ill understand if you cant reply to this ?? your silence on this will confirm things any how.

Blessings Stac

stacey the interest is only added on when you issue court proceedings aginst them ! your prelim letter and your lba should just be for the amount of charges they have actually taken from you so after that you do your court papers which allow you to claim 8% interest as per county court regulations ! there are spreadsheets in the templates which will help you work your totals out use the english advanced 1 thats what i used !

if my advice has been of any help to you then please click the scales ! Thank you :D

Hi Stacey

Still no word. Ulster bank have 12 days and counting to answer my letter before action, and the bank manager Gerard Wilson hasn't contacted me this week. What about your case how's it going?

To answer your query no interest on monies owed can be added until the court case has been started but you can calculate daily interest after that until it is resolved.

HTH

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

I have finally had a response from the Ulster Bank. I received a letter this morning dated 22 November from N C Hassett (senior consultant). In the letter they state:

We believe that our charges are fair, reasonable and transparent. We consider that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement with us and our published tarif, which we are satisfied, complies with all applicable laws and regulations.etc etc

Having considered all the points made in your letter, i am happy to inform you that i have refunded your account with £90 as a gesture of goodwill.

However , i hope you will understand any charges that accrue in the future must stand.

I have shortened the letter for posting but i think you can get the gist, although at no time do they mention that the offer of £90 is not an admission of liability, (which i thought was standard procedure)

I will of course be sending a thanks for the 90 quid but you stiil owe me £1098.06 and i WILL go to court for it....

Sorry for the extra long post guys.

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

I forgot to say £90 still outstanding as yet

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

hi stuart

Thanks for your reply, there scumbags. Glad to hear your going to take them to court ill be doing that if i have to as well.

£90, dream on ulster bank, didnt come up the bann in a bubble. Youll get back your money plus interest stay poitive stuart youll get it.

Blessings Stacey :)

i have hd different account numbers with the ulster and they say one account number is wrong. Im sure they can trace it but i think there calling my bluff and say if i can t supply correct number theyll not be able to send out statements. But im sure its correct because my pay went into that account that they say is wrong and i phoned my pay section and they confirmed it.

If this makes sense please some one reply or ill clarify if needed.

Blessings Stacey oh, do i stick with the 40 days that i gave at start even though they need clarification or does that start all over i know there holding out for as long as they can.

Why don't you go into the branch and try to access the acc manually by trying to lodge a fiver or something? If the bank takes your money then you'll know they are just stalling

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

Hi All

Just an info post.

I have finally sent of my refusal letter by both snialmail and email so cant say they didn't get it. Just waiting until the 6th so i can add my interest (about £190)

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

I can't lodge money as the account has been closed for about 4 years:(

But i have wrote letter that goes something like, you should be able to trace your own bnk account numbers.:p Do you think that would work:confused:

Thanks Stacey

Hi Stacey

As long as you can give the bank a list of addresses that you have lived at during the length of your acc there is no reason why they cant trace you.

Let me know how you get on

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline

Hi All

Update: I contacted the ulster bank customer relations dept by phone on

6 December. This was to remind them that the alloted time was up, i was told rather frostly that they had posted their reply and it would be forthcoming.

The reply came on Sat morning and stated that charges are fair, reasonable and transparent etc so onward to the court stage. Unfortunately as it's christmas etc I will have to wait until the new year or at least January's paycheque BTW the latest letter was from E Fizpatrick (senior consultant)

Stuart

Ulster bank

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

21/11/06 LBA sent

06/12/06 LBA deadline