• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Claiming contractual interest- help me finish this!

Carpetbagger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I've been looking on here for ages, but I never posted, because firstly I forgot my password, and then I posted in the wrong section and was mortified.

I realise now I could have probably sorted out the tangle I've got myself in a lot sooner if I'd just told my whole story.

I live a quite chaotic life, due partly to being hit for £50 a month bank charges despite being on the dole (this is one weeks dole, honest hard working people), partly through depression and partly through being one of those 'artistic people', so for this reason its taken me about 7 months to get to considering litigation. And I need advice on how to get a successful desicision, so the last 7 months havent been a waste.

• I'd done all my prelims, got statements and calculated the amount of fees (£430) and calculated the overdraft interest and 8% interest last October. I sent off my preliminary letter then. I was bit put off by the letter back saying that NatWest would not pay anything because the charge were fair and reasonable, blah blah. But I worked out from threads on here that this is a usual smokescreen tactic.

• So then, using information on here, I put together my final demand letter, which I sent off in February.

• After this on the 19th March I recieved a letter of settlement (not final settlement I think) from Natwest, saying they would not pay interest. So they would therefore only give me £430.

• However, in this time, I saw all the talk about claiming contractual interest, and I thought this sounded like a pretty good idea. During this time I was also stung another 3 times by Natwest fees, bringing my total up by about £100. I worked out that using my accounts unarranged borrowing rate, of 29.7% APR, Natwest owed me £1,357.10 (a bit less than the total of my crippling overdraft, but a good amount)so I sent off a revised secondary claim letter asking for the fees plus interest. Andy Sinden of Natwest replied on 2 May, saying
  • "it is inappropriate for me to repeat the banks legal position regarding its charges. These were clarified in my letter to you of 19th March and I am aware that you do not agree with the banks stance on this offer. While I appreciate that you feel strongly aout this issue, you have been offered a payment of £430; However the bank will not refund interest."

So now, I would really like advice on how I proceed. If you wonder how it has taken me this long to get to this stage, I should also mention I had a family bereavement in April which has really rattled me. I could do without the aggravation, but I really want to see this through to the end, and I dont want the bastards to get away with this. And given my present financial state, to be fair, I can't afford not to.

Should I send a final request for payment before comencing court proceedings, as someone suggested? Mr Sinden's tone in this letter seems so cut and dried that I suspect this is not necessary.

I was also reading a thread about someone claiming and settling for the full contractual interest, a few months ago. But the relevant information was pulled off here in some dispute over intellectual property. Could someone direct me to where this information is, or just tell me, what case should I be putting in?

Thanks for such a wonderful forum, and I promise to contribute some money when I've won my case, as should everyone who benefits from this service.

Hi CB

Firstly a big welcome to the NatWest forum. It saounds like you have done all the right things and the next stage is to claim through the court. You don't need to write to them again - you have been more than generous with the time you have given them already.

However, there is something you should know. THe basis of our claims is that these charges are unlawful penalties under the common law and various consumer legislation. Our case is watertight. Your case is gold plated.

It depends which benefit you are on but the effect is the same. THere are two Acts: the Social Security Adminstration Act 1992 (which covers income-related benefits, job seakers, invalidity benefit, etc) and the Tax Credits Act 2002 (which covers working tax credit, child tax credit). BOTH of these Acts have a clause which means that banks MUST NOT apply charges to accounts that have benefits paid into them. (in the SSAA 1992 it is section 187, in the TCA 2002 it is section 45).

In addition to carrying on your claim you should write to the bank pointing this out. I will post a letter from another thread in thenext post. Have a look at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/36790-bank-taking-your-benefits.html

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site

Your address

date

Customer Relations

National Westminster Bank plc

225 Shenley Road

Borehamwood

WD6 1TE

[social Security Administration Act 1992][ Tax Credits Act 2002] - Request for repayment

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxx SORT CODE xxxxx

I am give brief description of circumstances and in receipt of state which benefits which are paid in to the above account by the [Department of Work and Pensions][Revenue and Customs]. No other income is paid into my account.

[section 187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992][Section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2002] (‘the Act(s)’) states that these benefits are inalienable, that is, every assignment of or charge on these benefits and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void.

During the period start date to end date, charges totalling £xxxx have been applied to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth in direct contravention of the Act(s). In addition, interest totalling £xxx has been applied to my account in relation to these charges. The charges are detailed in the attached schedule.

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges and interest listed in the schedule which you have levied from my account in contravention of the Act(s).

I will give you 16 days from the date of this letter to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall [send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim through the Small Claims Court immediately on the expiry of the second deadline.] [not only continue with my claim through the County Court but will inform the [Department of Work and Pensions][Revenue and Customs] and the FSA, who may take legal action against you.}

Yours faithfully,

Fill you details in the blue bits and select the relevant red bits. In your case THe last part should be the second - ie from "..not only continue" I have done it so that someone who is further back in the process can use this as a preliminary letter.

If I have made it too confusing, please ask.

Send the letter to your branch and copy it to Customer Relations and to Cobbetts.

Steven

• Haha 1

Oh wow, all these months and I was not aware of this at all!! Thanks so much Steven4064. 3 hours in and this is as helpful as I hoped it would be! It's taken a bit of the pressure off anyway! Brill! Thank you!

Sorry, I got so tied up in benefitsi forgot the original question. The form of words you might use is

I base my claim for Contractual Interest being awarded due to the imbalance in favour of the defendant in applying compounded contractual interest to the penalty charges and the borrowing of my money and no fairness in this being reciprocated by Claimant in their use of my money or any legal redress by the Claimant. This therefore being deemed an unfair term in the contract.

I found this somewhere on the site but I can't remember where.

It isn't a statute as such but based on the various legislation regarding unfair terms in contracts (Unfair Terms inConsumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and UNfair Contract Terms Act 1977)

Anyway, off to bed now. :)

Steven

HI again,

I just had some other thoughts about this Social Security act.

I havent been unemployed for the whole of the time that I'm making a claim against Natwest for. I've been in and out of work, but there's not one year where havent claimed Jobseekers. There was period in June 2004, when I was trying to do my masters (I had to give it up due to lack of funds sadly:rolleyes:) when I tried to find work and decided I wasnt going to go through the benefits system again, because it was too demeaning. What a mistake that was! So I wasnt in regular work or claiming benefit for about 3 months .

And also, if taking penalty charges out of benefit is illegal, what about the actual agreed rate of interest on the account? (16.9% APR) I've been charged about £25 every month this year, just in interest and sometimes a £28 penalty charge on top of that when there isnt enough in the account to pay the interest. HAve I got a case for saying in this circumstance, the agreed (I never agreed this amount, went from a student account to a graduate account, to a ??? account, they leave you to find out the interest rates for yourself- I have never had a single letter form Natwest informing me of any change to my account ) interest should be paid back as well for the periods I was unemployed?

Certainly the interest that is attributable to charges, whatever you circumstances at the time. If you are going for contractual interest then just plug the charges into a spreadsheet with the 29.5% and see what comes out.

Steven

Gonna send this letter off tomorrow, does this seem alright? Any changes I should make?

Customer Relations

National Westminster Bank plc

225 Shenley Road

Borehamwood

WD6 1TE

Social Security Administration Act 1992- Final Request for repayment

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I have been unemployed and in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance and housing benefit from 12 March 2006-June 2007 and for various periods every year since 2002. These state benefit payments are paid into the above account by the Department of Work and Pensions. No other income is paid into my account.

Section 187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 (‘the Act’) states that these benefits are inalienable, that is, every assignment of or charge on these benefits and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void.

During the period 31 December 2001 to 12 June 2007, charges totalling £430 have been applied to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth in direct contravention of the Act. In addition, interest totalling £974.19 has been applied to my account in relation to these charges. I enclose a recent schedule of charges

I am writing to ask you one final time to refund to me the sum of £1,404.19 listed in the schedule which you have levied from my account in contravention of the Act.

I will give you a final 10 days from the date of this letter to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall not only continue with my claim through the County Court but will inform the Department of Work and Pensions and the FSA, who may take legal action against you.

Yours faithfully,

Looks fab to me mate - but take your account details out quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from that - looks great!! xx

• Haha 1

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

S'alright............... I've ordered meself loads of clobber now!!!!!! xx;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Do you know who I should send this letter to? Is it the Borehamwood address? No matter where I send the letter (sent it to Edinburgh last time) I keep having all my stuff dealt with by this Andy Sinden chap from 280 Bishopsgate, London and I don't find him very helpful to be honest. With that attitude he shouldnt really be in customer relations.:D

I would send it to Borehamwood but send a copy to your branch too.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

so, sent that letter off, and a week later get a standard fob off from NatWest back:

" Thank you for your recent letter regarding the fees applied to your account.

We are currently considering your claim. Given the work involved in assessing your claim we anticipate that we will be in a position to respond within 6-7 weeks, but we will endeavour to do so sooner if we are able to."

I've given them the time frame for them to make a response in, so obvioulsy now I go to litgation. But I'm still realy worried about this contractual interest aspect of it. What is my argument? What are the legal precedents behind this line of claim? I understand it's something about reciprocity, but has anyone written a template for a contractual interest claim? I'm very much in the dark and very much dreading the legal action.

:-| :?

Plus in the meatime, my rent cheque has bounced twice, even though the funds were in my account!! And Natwest have whacked me with 2x £38 unpaid items charges, plus another 2 £28 charges for unarranged borrowing! Arrgh! When will they stop charging people?

This brings my total claim to over £1500 now.

Hi Carpetbagger.

A word of advice.

Drop the contractual interest. There is no valid basis in law for claiming it.

A claim involving contractual interest was struck out.

The claimant appealed. The case was heard in a higher court and the strike-out was upheld.

As this was in a higher court, a legal precedent has been set against it.

In view of this I think that you would be very wise to drop the CI.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Sorry rooster - the claim that was struck out was for CI on the basis of mutuality in the contract. There is still the possibility that CI might be claimable on different grounds. Sorry, just being pedantic.

The lost case however does seem to give authority to claim charges+the interest charged on those charges+8% interest on both.

Steven

Yipes, so I'm really confused now. Which case are you referring to?

I know there are loads of people on here who've claimed contractual interest and got it it before the court date. There's a thread on the Abbey National section where GaryH advises this:

"to stand any chance whatsoever of getting the contractual rate in court you will need to attempt to invoke equities juristiction to award compound interest by alleging a breach of fidiciary duty. Which means obviously that first you've got to try to establish a the existance of a fiduciary relationship in the first place. Even if you were successful in doing that then its solely at the courts discretion as to what rate is equitable under the circumstances.

Google and have a read of

Westdeutsche v. Islington BC. [1996] A.C. 669"

What is fidiciary duty? Could I have a case for saying that Natwest being in contravnetion of the Social Security Act of 1996 is a contravention of their fidiciary duty?

At the minute I'm thinking of taking this to a solicitor to deal with, because my health is not so good due to all the strain I'm under. Do you think that would be a good idea? At least then I'd be happy it was all legally correct.

Also found this thread by Bankfodder:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/7252-new-way-looking-interest-40.html

It seems like lots of people have succeeded with claiming contractual interest, albeit before it gets to the court stage. So I guess the question should be, how does one make a case so watertight that Natwest won't want to take it to court?

I've got two claims at the acknowledgement stage claiming unauth and auth and stat in variance

can't go wrong with that surely? I figure it gives me something to give away at the negotiation stage

and you could always claim stat on the interest on charges surely, the two interest charges aren't the same thing are they? the interest on the charges is effectively a charge in itself

seeing as we're talking, how long after the 14 day deadline for acknowledgement would you wait before applying for judgement? NW are now two days late, served on the 13th.

sorry for the minor diversion

• Haha 1

'Fraid I can't help you with the acknowledgement/judgement thing Hippo, I dont even know what that is. I'm just trying to get my claim to the court in some not too shoddy manner.

Thanks for suggestion of alternate claims though. I'm not sure I'll do that though, because surely it weakens the claim for the higher rate if you also show you'd settle for the stat? Sure I'm being dead thick, my mind is a complete jumbled muddle today, and I feel very disponandant about the whole enterprise.

I thought the same when I first saw the tactic, my wife is a barrister and she says it's absolutely routine, a barrister will argue for a result and if denied it will smoothly argue the next variance and so on and let the judge decide

you go with a single option and you're putting your eggs into one basket

Can I just get this straight Mickey? So I fill in the n1 3 times, but each time with different figures for Unauthorised Authorised and stat? Do I have to put a note anywhere saying I'm filing variances? Or does the court just automatically go through them one after another?

That's actually not as difficult as it seems, because the interest calculation spreadsheet gives me all three figures at once. So I think I'll do what you say. Cheers Mickey!

I read up on that lost case too- it doesnt seem as devestating as people were making out, the guy claimed CI Plus 8%, and maybe CI again on top? you can either have one or the other, not both.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/97691-contractual-interest-precedent-lost-9.html

whoah! brush on the step by steps there fella, the three copies are just that, three identical copies

below is the text I subbed into the template, it's cobbled off other threads

that 'mutuality and reciprocity' argument has been bashed down at least once by a judge since I submitted it so best crib up the latest form of words, you're on a sticky wicket if you ever end up in front a judge arguing CI whatever though I think, insert the relevant interest rates, this was for Barclays

9. Contractual Interest

a) The Claimant claims compound interest on the amounts claimed under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity in the contract between the Claimant and the Defendant, using the rate and method specified in the said contract, and as is applied by the Defendant to monies it is owed.

b) The Claimant’s grounds for seeking restitution of the compounded contractual rate of interest is that the Defendant would be unjustly enriched if the Claimant's entitlement was limited to the statutory rate of interest in that the Defendant has had use of the sums and would have used these sums to re-lend at commercial compounded rates.

c) The Claimant contends that the taking of unlawful penalties from the Claimant’s Account is unauthorised borrowing by the Defendant. Therefore, under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity in the contract between the Claimant and the Defendant, in the first instance the Claimant has calculated compound interest originally charged by the defendant, being 27.5%.

d) In the alternative to 9.c), should the taking of unlawful penalties from the Claimant’s Account not be deemed to be unauthorised borrowing by the Defendant, then, under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity in the contract between the Claimant and the Defendant, the Claimant has calculated compound interest at the Defendant’s authorised borrowing rate, being 15.9%.

e) In the alternative to 9.c) and d), if the Court decides that the Claimant is not entitled to the contractual rate of interest under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity in the contract between the Claimant and the Defendant, then the Claimant has calculated interest under section 69 County Courts Act (1984) at the rate of 8% a year

f) Details of interest calculated & rates used are attached to these Particulars of Claim (Appendix 1) as follows:

Sheet 1 – Compound interest calculated daily at an annual rate of 27.5%

Sheet 2 – Compound interest calculated daily at an annual rate of 15.9%

Sheet 3 – Simple interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at an annual rate of 8.00%

10. Accordingly, the Claimant claims:

a) The return of the amounts debited between xx/xx/00 and xx/xx/07 in respect of charges and the interest charged as a result of those charges in the sum of £xxx

b) All applicable Court fees - currently £120

c) Contractual interest at an annual 27.50 % compounded daily from the date of each transaction to xx/xx/07 of £xxx, and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxx

d) In the alternative to 10.c), Contractual interest at an annual rate of 15.9% compounded daily from the date of each transaction to xx/xx/07 of £xxx and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xx

e) In the alternative to 10.c) and d), interest under section 69 County Courts Act (1984) at the rate of 8% a year, from the date of each transaction to xx/xx/07 of £xxx, and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xx

• Haha 1