• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

TheCobbettSlayer v NatWest ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new to this site and it's made interesting reading (and I'm getting paid for doing it which is nice!).

We have sent our first letter into Natwest and according to Royal Mail website it was delivered last Tuesday. It's £8795 since January 2002.

I'm expecting the initial sod off letter but I'm surprised it hasn't come just yet - from reading this and other forums, the first response seems to be flat rejection without any investigation or consideration.

I assume it's too much to hope that they are starting to give consideration to saving themselves a small fortune by just coughing up before they get hit with costs and interest as well and my cheque will be in the post.

I'm also disputing a consolidation loan which I was forced to take to cover my bank charges (or unauthorised borrowing as they like to call it). Having informed them that this was in dispute, they failed to take last months repayment, even though the money was in the account and charged me £38 for the privilige.

I have now had a letter telling me that they have suspended all of our cards until such time as the loan account is brought up to date, thus preventing us from having access to any cash or purchases (well, that was the idea but both our salaries are going elsewhere now so it's not actually a huge deal) but is it actually fair or even legal for a bank to hold you to ransom like that. We have a 16 month old son who seems to be at the mercy of Natwest as to whether we can buy food, nappies etc.

I was angry.....now I'm livid!!!!!

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are things in here to say you do need to open a new account before contesting the charges as most banks to freeze accounts or close accounts, if i was you i would go in and demand the money out of your account as it is unfair to not allow you funds to live on and i would seek advise from the citizens advise also, i would set up another account with another bank asap.

• Confused 1

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Paul, ignore what i wrote on my own thread (in response to your post) about phoning them. If you've sent it recorded delivery and Royal Mail have confirmed receipt i'd just continue with you own timetable. i.e send the LBA 14 days after you sent the prelim.

One thing i would advise is to split your claim in two so each one is less than £5k (after interest) so they both go through the small claims track, starting the second after the first is completely settled. This way you're more likely to avoid having to appear in court. And i think there are other reasons too but i'm not sure of the implications.

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Submitted MoneyClaim on 30 May.

Acknowledged 7 Jun, 3 Jul deadline for response

Defence filed 4 Jul

Received their copy of AQ 21 July, awaiting court date

*********** SETTLED IN FULL - 17 August *************

Egg Card:

Requested Payment Protection Refund on 20 May,

Sent Data Protection Act request, egg acknowledged,

8 Jul deadline for response.

26 Jul: Sent Prelim Letter

01 Sep: Sent LBA

Citibank:

Not Started

I have just purchased the Self Help Guide to Small Claims from this site. If you look in the faq's in the review, I can't split the claim up just to keep it in the small claims track - it's all one claim so it will have to go through the county court, probably on the fast track.

As far as I'm aware, Natwest haven't actually been to court yet (that's probably tempting fate) so I'll just have to go for it!

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

I'm sure other people have split their claims into time slots to keep them under £5000. Could you claim for 2002 - 2004 & then 2005 - 2006?

BTW I'm also from Sherwood Forest!! Whereabouts are you?

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

Right - I've had the standard sod off letter from Stuart Higley so it's court time!

I just need some advice though. The account was originally a personal account in my wifes name. When we got together my name was added to the account so any charges between 2002 & 2003, the account was in her name only. Any thing after that is in joint names.

Does she have to initiate a separate claim for the charges made before it became a joint account or do we just plough on with the full claim as it all relates to one account?

Any ideas.

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

wishing you loads of luck with your claim.

i'm a bit unsure whether the consolidation loan you mentioned has caused your claim to jump to 22k from 8k, any chance you could you give us more details.

i'm sure you've already read it but this is a similiar case

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/5584-janeyb-lloyds-massive-settlement.html?highlight=massive+payout

keep us posted.

:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

NatWest Have Failed To File Acknowledgement. I Have Today Requested Judgement In The Sum Of £22121.95

NatWest Have Failed To File Acknowledgement. I Have Today Requested Judgement In The Sum Of £22163.95

How much????? They have so far failed to acknowledge mine either and they have till 2moro to file defence 12th Sept so i will be getting up early to fill default! Hope yours doesn't get overturned. Oliver

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Any news on your judgement against Nat West

Cap One (me)

Data Protection Act sent 15/08

Prem letter sent 23/09 £800

Partial offer £312

LBA sent 04/10

File at court 27/11

/B/C (me)

Data Protection Act sent 18/08

Account pre may 04 ordered statements

11/09

B/C (old mans)

missing statement letter 29/08

Prem letter sent 26/9 £500 + £1172.00 Est

Nat West (joint)

DPA letter sent 28/07

LBA non-compliance letter 11/09

or are you out spending?

Cap One (me)

Data Protection Act sent 15/08

Prem letter sent 23/09 £800

Partial offer £312

LBA sent 04/10

File at court 27/11

/B/C (me)

Account pre may 04 ordered statements

11/09

B/C (old mans)

missing statement letter 29/08

Prem letter sent 26/9 £500 + £1172.00 Est

Nat West (joint)

DPA letter sent 28/07

LBA non-compliance letter 11/09

Good God i bet your glad u were silly in your earlier years!!!

Excellant savings plan!!! WELL DONE!!!!!

Clark xx:p

:p If you like the advice I give or I have helped you in any way, click the scales and let me know about it x :p

NatWest: £1148.00 (defence filed 3/10/06)

Halifax: £2600.00 Letter received 28/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL!!!:lol:

Co-op: £1140.00 Cheque received 5/10/06 SETTLED IN FULL

Barclays Bank: £510.00 (LBA time up 19/9/06) Offer received of £250.00 thanks but no thanks

Barclaycard: £840.00 Half refunded mcol being done for the other half!

Capital One: £100 Settled in full after preliminary letter

RBS: £38.00 SETTLED IN FULL 14th September 2006

STILL TO GO.......

Hubbys Halifax visa :p

Hubbys Yorkshire bank visa :)

Hubbys old Yorkshire bank (closed) account :rolleyes:

No news yet - I'm waiting for the application to set aside. I'll be almost disappointed if they don't try.

I intend to fight the application when it arrives on the basis that if judgement is set aside it sends a clear signal to the banks that they don't have to comply with the timescales set by the courts and are free to do as they please. They are not. They have to meet the requirements of the system the same as the rest of us. They have lost the case by default. If the situation were reversed I doubt I would get a set aside so bring it on!

You are two days in front of me, i agree that you need to show the courts, i think that is what i will be doing as well. As i understand it the banks have till 4pm today to enter a defence then by law i win. I don't believe they should be allowed to set it aside, if i did it and ignored a claim coming to me they wouldn't let me set aside a judgement.

It might add time Karne but at the end of the day they can't be allowed to ride roughshod over the rules. As Oliver says - the rules apply to both sides.

Had an interesting conversation with Natwest today. They rang me to find out why I wasn't paying the loan. I suggested that the woman on the phone spoke to their legal department and default the loan at their peril - if they do I will sue!

She ended up putting the phone down on me (having accused me of being patronising) when, against my better judgement I was forced to tell her that Mansfield County Court had issued judgement against Natwest in the sum of £22000. I don't think she had ever come across this one before as they normally expect to be on the winning side. She had never heard of Stuart Higley and didn't even know that Natwests registered office is 135 Bishopsgate, London.

I came off the phone pmsl.

This arrived in the post this morning

In the Mansfield County Court

To the defendant:

Natwest Bank PLC

135 Bishopsgate

London

EC2M 3UR

It is ordered that you must pay the claimant £22,121.95 forthwith.

I'm obliged your honour:D

This arrived in the post this morning

In the Mansfield County Court

To the defendant:

NatWest Bank PLC

135 Bishopsgate

London

EC2M 3UR

It is ordered that you must pay the claimant £22,121.95 forthwith.

I'm obliged your honour:D

OMFG Paul!!!!! Congratulations, when do theyhave to pay by?

Beers on you then mate ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

CONGRATULATIONS......A VERY BIG WELL DONE!!!!!!!

Clark xx:p

:p If you like the advice I give or I have helped you in any way, click the scales and let me know about it x :p

NatWest: £1148.00 (defence filed 3/10/06)

Halifax: £2600.00 Letter received 28/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL!!!:lol:

Co-op: £1140.00 Cheque received 5/10/06 SETTLED IN FULL

Barclays Bank: £510.00 (LBA time up 19/9/06) Offer received of £250.00 thanks but no thanks

Barclaycard: £840.00 Half refunded mcol being done for the other half!

Capital One: £100 Settled in full after preliminary letter

RBS: £38.00 SETTLED IN FULL 14th September 2006

STILL TO GO.......

Hubbys Halifax visa :p

Hubbys Yorkshire bank visa :)

Hubbys old Yorkshire bank (closed) account :rolleyes: