• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank Will Only Cover 6 Years From Date Of Claim **WON**

calm1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just been offered settlement for approx 65% of amount claimed. They say this is because they will only go back as far as 6 years from date of claim starting - i.e at MCOL, instead of 6 years at request of statements - is this right?

This has already been awarded in full as they defaulted. They have told me if we don't agree to it as full then they will set aside our claim and we will loose in court as the amount is different to what we can ask for. I can't understand this as the claim is specifically for 6 years.

Well, its Lloyds and I had an old thread that has been redundant for ages as nothing was happening. I have posted elsewhere on a LTSB thread belonging to someone else so maybe we should junk this baby!!! Saying that, I think this has a massive point - if we ask for info regarding last six years - it then takes up (if not more than) 40 days to send info. We then write to bank requesting refund, who not so promptly refuse, then a letter before action, a few more weeks, then start MCOL - Can someone clarify what we can and can't claim in this time period. I think it's a ruse as it is effectively a debt owed at the start..........? I would bet that alot of people have settled on this point for fear of having the case chucked out. Anyone got any ideas???

Hi Calm1

I have asked that this thread be moved into the Lloyds forum.

The Data Protection Act 1998 has no time limit, you may and indeed should request all data that the bank hold on you and this should form part of your claim provided that it contains details of unlawful charges.

Lloyds are intending to rely on their interpretation of the Limitation Act 1980 and that any charges levied more than six years ago cannot be reclaimed. The limitation period runs back from the date of issue of the claim. From then there is a four month period in which you should serve your claim. How much beyond the six years were these charges that Lloyds argue you cannot include?

Regarding their assertion that "...they will set aside [your] claim and we will lose in court..." I wonder who made them all Judges and if they are not Judges but they can predict the future with such certainty, maybe they could pick me six numbers between 1 and 49 for tonight?

They cannot have your claim set aside without a hearing and I doubt they would want the hassle and expense of one. Continue with your claim and always keep in mind that they have a great deal more to lose that you do.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Hello, thanks Hagen. The claim started just under 4 months after the first charge that we claimed for ( I hope that makes sense), so I assume that our claim is correct. I would point out that there are no additional charges for any period over six years - by that I mean that we didn't add any more on for that four month period.

Lloyds seem to be offering over 100 x less on one and nearly 250 x less on the other in terms of charges for that period - I don't think so! I get the impression that an offer of approx 65% is quite common, maybe because they think the OFT will rule that at best (for them) the cost of the letter may end up being about 65% less of current charge.

I didn't realise that you had to have a hearing to get a set aside and would be inclined to agree with you about them not wanting one. What about a stay or anything else?

They've had a final letter and I think it's time for writ of FF and Req War of Exe? (or shall I do both on Writ of FF - they are both over 600).

A writ of Fi Fa can be very expensive and should the writ fail for any reason - for example if they should be granted a stay (and they can do this ex parte, without your knowledge) then you may lose any fees you have paid.

How much is your claim and how long ago did you get judgment?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

This is what I was concerned about. Two claims; one for just under 9k and the other for just over 3.5k. Judgement 1st June - in default though.

On the larger of the two claims, you will have to enforce the judgment with a writ of Fi Fa as County Court Baillifs cannot collect sums over £5k.

Have you writtent them the letter from this link?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html?garpg=13

That page also gives you details of what you must do in order to issue a writ of fieri facias in the High Court.

I know that the larger is def a WFF. I know the smaller could be either, as is over 600 pounds. I wrote the final letter requesting payment at beginning of June and gave them until 19th to pay on both accounts. They wrote in between saying client (bank) did not have any records for accounts at this address - strange as statements had come through post on same day! I replied with no's and gave a further week to pay- that last deadline was yesterday. They offered (yesterday) approx 65% of full claim - I have asked them to explain where this figure comes from. Sols have said that it is a final offer and if I don't take it they will set aside our claims. However, I don't think they will set aside because as you said they need a hearing.

Do they need a hearing for a stay after a WFF? The only good thing is that things are ok now, finances in control and we can wait a bit, although I would prefer money asap!

No, they can apply for a stay without informing you and the first you will know about it is when you are required to attend a hearing for the set aside of the original judgment.

However, it is up to you to enforce the judgment that you have obtained, you need to manage your claim and therefore, in your position I would obtain warrants and enforce the judgment as your deadline has now expired.

If you continue to wait they will continue to ignore you, however, they would have more difficulty ignoring a High Court Enforcement Officer.

Well, even if they get a stay, they eventually have to get a date for the set aside hearing. Will they attend that hearing? Probably not. So, yes, I think I should do the warrants, however, I have read that I will lose the warrant costs if they get a stay, does that mean just the 55 pounds or the costs of executing the warrant? If I do the warrant it may mean that they pay up a bit quicker or alternately slower by coughing up at the last minute before the set aside hearing!

One other quick question; would you do the warrant of execution or the wff for the smaller claim? The wff seems like the quicker but more expensive alternative, with more financial risk, but more clout.

Welcome McIavelli! As this is actually my partners' claim, I have had to wait until he got back this w/e to sign docs, etc. The warrants will be sorted on Monday, and I will keep posting regarding progress (if any!). Nice to have you on board - best of luck with your claim.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IT - PARTNER JUST CHECKED HIS ACOUNTS AND THEY HAVE PAID UP!!! YIPEEEEEEE!!

JUST UNDER 13k!!! OFF TO BUY A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE.......

CAN SOMEONE MOVE THE THREAD PLEASE!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP FELLOW CAGGERS! (ESP HAGEN)

WE'D LIKE TO MAKE A DONATION BEFORE WE DRINK IT ALL..........

KEEP ON FIGHTING THE REST OF YOU - IT PAYS OFF IN THE END (BIG STYLEE!!)

Congratulations Calm1, very well done!