• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord's Claim for Possession - Example

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The following is an example of the types of claim a landlord can make under the Housing Act 1988, relating to an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST).

A. CLAIM FOR POSSESSION BASED ON A SECTION 21 NOTICE

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM for recovery of possession of premises let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy:

1. The Claimant is the freehold owner and is entitled to possession of premises comprising a dwellinghouse situated at and known as (address) ("the premises").

2. The premises were let as a dwelling by the Claimant to the Defendant by a written agreement dated (date) for a fixed term of not less than six months, namely from (date) to (date), at a rent of £_______ per month (exclusive of water rates) payable monthly in advance/arrear.

3. The said tenancy does not contain any provision whereby it could be terminated by the Claimant at any time earlier than six months from the beginning of the tenancy, other than a provision for re-entry or forfeiture in the event of non-payment of rent or breach of any other obligation of the tenancy by the Defendant.

4. On (date) the aforesaid term certain determined by effluction of time and thereupon a statutory periodic tenancy arose under Section 5 of the 1988 Act.

5. On (date) the Plaintiff served on the Defendant a notice under Section 21 of the 1988 Act stating that the Plaintiff requires possession of the premises on (date), the latter date being:

(a) a date not less than two months after the notice was given, and

(b) the last day of a period of the said tenancy, and

© a date not earlier than the earliest date on which said tenancy could, apart from Section 5(1) of the 1988 Act, have been terminated by a notice to quit given by the Plaintiff on the date the notice under Section 21 of the 1988 Act was given.

6. The said tenancy was an assured shorthold tenancy. The Defendant wrongfully remains in possession of the premises, and the Claimant is entitled to and claims possession of the premises by virtue of Section 21 of the 1988 Act.

AND the Claimant claims:

(1) Possession of the premises

(2) Costs

Date:

Signed: .......................

B. ALTERNATIVE CLAIM FOR POSSESSION, BASED ON ARREARS OF RENT OR BREACH OF A TERM OF THE TENANCY AGREEMENT (e.g. DISREPAIR)

If the Landlord alleges arrears of rent or breach of any other term of the tenancy -

(Repeats paragraphs 1 and 2 above)

3. The following are (inter alia) express terms of the said tenancy:

(1) (Details)

(2) (Details)

4. The Defendant is in breach of the terms of the said tenancy set out in paragraph 3 herein and in consequence the Claimant has suffered loss and damage.

Particulars of Breach:

(1) Non-payment of rent from (date) to (date) inclusive.

(or non-payment of mesne profits from (date) to date).

(2) (Details of any other breach of the terms of the tenancy)

Particulars of Loss and Damage:

(1) Rent Arrears of £____

(2) Mesne Profits of £____

5. On (date) the Claimant served on the Defendant a notice in the prescribed form pursuant to Section 8 of the 1988 Act informing the Defendant that the Claimant intends to commence proceedings for recovery of the premises not earlier than (date) [see Section 8(4) of the 1988 Act - below] and not later than 12 months from the date of service of the said notice and on one or more of the following grounds namely Ground __ and/or Ground __ in Schedule 2 of the 1988 Act, which provide that a landlord can recover possession of premises where:

[Here set out the Statutory Ground or Grounds in full - see below]

and the notice gave particulars of the said grounds.

6. The said tenancy was an assured shorthold tenancy. The Defendant wrongfully remains in possession of the premises, and the Claimant is entitled to and claims possession of the premises by virtue of the said Ground.

7. The Claimant is entitled to and claims interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 15 percent per annum on all sums of money awarded to the Claimant for such period as the Court thinks fit.

AND the Claimant claims:

(1) Possession of the premises

(2) Rent arrears of £______ as at the date the notice requiring possession was served

(3) Mesne profits from the date the notice requiring possession was served until (date) being £__

(4) Mesne profits continuing from the last mentioned date until possession is delivered at £__ per month (£__ per day)

(5) Interest as pleaded

(6) Costs

SECTION 8(4) REFERRED TO ABOVE

Section 8(4) of the 1988 Act provides that the period of notice that must be given under Section 8 of the Act is not less than two months in the case of Grounds 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 16 of Schedule 2 in the 1988 Act.

Section 8(3)(b) provides that in the case of all other Grounds (Grounds 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15) the period of notice must be not less than two weeks.

THE STATUTORY GROUNDS REFERRED TO ABOVE

GROUND 8:

Both at the date of the service of the notice under scetion 8 of this Act relating to the proceedings for possession and at the date of the hearing:

(a) if rent is payable weekly or fortnightly, at least thirteen weeks rent is unpaid;

(b) if rent is payable monthly, at least three months rent is unpaid;

© if rent is payable quarterly, at least one quarter's rent is more than three months in arrears; and

(d) if rent is payable yearly, at least three months rent is more than three months in arrears;

and for the purpose of this ground "rent" means rent lawfully due from the tenant.

GROUND 9:

Suitable alternative accomodation is available for the tenant or will be available for him when the order for possession takes effect.

[see Part III of Schedule 2 in the 1988 Act for details of what the Court will recognise as constituting suitable alternative accomodation.]

GROUND 10:

Some rent lawfully due from the tenant:

(a) is unpaid on the date which the proceedings for possession are begun; and

(b) except where subsection (1)(b) of Section 8 of the 1988 Act applies, was in arrears at the date of the service of the notice under that Section relating to those proceedings.

GROUND 11:

Whether or not any rent is in arrears on the date on which proceedings for possession are begun, the tenant has persistently delayed paying rent which has become lawfuly due.

GROUND 12:

Any obligation of the tenancy (other than one related to the payment of rent) has been broken or not performed.

NOTES:

Only Grounds 1 to 8 are mandatory. The Claimant will only get a possession order on Grounds 9 to 16 if, in addition to proving the Ground relied on, the Court considers it reasonable to order possession (Section 7(4) of the 1988 Act).

There are also the following Grounds for possession in Schedule 2 of the 1988 Act: former owner-occupier requires the premises; mortgagee selling; holiday lets; letting to a minister of religion; landlord wants to demolish or reconstruct; death of tenant; commission of waste; nuisance to neighbours; ill treatment of furniture; or termination of employment under a service occupancy. See the Act for details of each (some require notice to be given to the tenant before the tenancy is granted).

THE EFFECT OF THE HOUSING ACT 1988 ON THE COMMON LAW

Until the fixed term ends the tenancy can't be terminated at Common Law, except by forfeiture for breach of covenant. (A fixed term tenancy can only be terminated by Effluction of time or by Surrender.)

On the date the fixed term ends a periodic assured shorthold tenancy arises under Section 20(4), unless the Landlord obtains a possession order that takes effect on that date.

Such a statutory periodic tenancy can't be terminated by giving Notice to Quit (Section 5(1)). It can only be terminated by giving notice under Section 21(4).

APPLYING FOR POSSESSION WHERE THE FIXED TERM HAS NOT EXPIRED

Section 7(6) of the 1988 Act provides that where the fixed term has not expired an application can only be made on Grounds 2, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 in Schedule 2 of the Act, and that the tenancy agreement must contain a provision for the fixed term to be ended by the Ground relied on.

Advice & opinions on this forum are offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 3 years later...

USE THIS EXAMPLE WITH CAUTION!

It is intended for use ONLY by someone with extensive knowledge of tenancy law.

It is only an example, and not intended to be comprehensive. Many of the sample clauses featured will not apply in YOUR circumstances!

Use your own judgement; obtain advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

This posting gives general guidance only. It is not an authoritative statement of the law. Consult a Solicitor for specific advice before deciding on any course of action.