Zingy --vs-- MKDP HSBC ''managed loan'***Claim Struck out***

zingy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, had a current account with HSBC opened in 1998, then took out a student loan in 2004. These two were combined in 2006 (by HSBC) when I came into some difficulties, and were pushed across the desk to Metropolitan Collection Services.

The current amount is circa £4k and is comprised of 90% loan and 10% o/draft - I have a DSAR outstanding which is due to expire in a few weeks.

I sent a CCA request for the 'account' on 19th January with the correct fee (sent recorded, was signed for, and postal order cashed a few days later).

Received a letter asking for a signature ten or so days later so I sent the 'signature not required' letter (and sent recorded, although no proof online - very annoying).

Didn't receive anything, so after the 12+2 days (plus a few more) I sent the in dispute letter.

Today I received a reply to my in dispute letter:

Metro Letter picture by zingy22 - Photobucket

The thing that has me a little confused is that they require the request to be 'hand signed'. Should I just adapt the signature not needed letter and include that the postal order has already been cashed etc?

I think they're getting a little confused, bless, but good job all my paperwork is in order:grin:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll string this out if you don't give 'em a signature zingy ....

Give 'em one, but put a couple of light strokes through it ... that way it is identifiable if it's 'lifted ' ....

As for the other , I'd point out to them that they must have been sure of your ID to cash your PO(number xxxxx) , which they have done , so why haven't they complied with your request under the Data Protection Act .... tell them the clock is ticking ..... their deadline ran out on xx xxx xx ..... and failure to produce what you have requested by (give 'em 7 days .. ) will result in a report to the Ombudsman .....

you could add :

"PLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec) "

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

thanks, Johnny.

I'll send a letter to them on Monday with the above included. The annoying thing is that I've sent all my letters with the signguard from CAG - they know it's me, they're just being awkward. Ah well, no money for them until they produce.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

I received a reply to my CCA request and they have sent me all the relevant information. I have uploaded the agreement with deletions (see below); however, this is my copy as I didn't think the photocopied version they sent would scan too well, but I have checked through everything and it is the same as their copy (the scanned copy does have 'customer copy' at the top, which the copy sent does not).

I'm pretty sure it is enforceable, as I think it contains all of the prescribed terms - no biggy if I am correct, just wanted to be sure.

Now, here is the issue I want help with:

MCS have sent the above for a loan account, but the money they are seeking (see post #1) is for an o/draft for the current account I had with them and this loan account (as one) - at no point have they said they were collecting for two accounts as one, etc.

Should I ask them to separate the two? The current account goes back to 1998 and was changed to a student account in 2000.

I do have a DSAR request with HSBC that is due to expire at the end of the week, so I'm looking at any unlawful charges in relation to these two accounts and my CC, which is currently in dispute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi zingy :)

Only a couple of points here :

1. The pages you have put up don't seem to have page numbers.... did they ones they sent you have them ... if not how do we know they all belong to the same Loan Account ......

2. You have obscured the repayment terms , another angle that could be used,as if they're wrongly calculated it could be unenforceable ... but can't say from what you've posted ...

3. The mixing of the two accounts is a bit sneaky ,which way have they gone with this ..... O/D switched to Loan account or vice versa ..... ? They should have at least let you know they were considering doing this ...... look out for letter(s) about this when you get your SAR ............ you may also find other bones of contention in there too when you get it .... so just come on and ask if you're in doubt ....

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the reply.

1. The copies did have page numbers on - there were 20 pages in total, with the others being quotation pages and copies of salary information and certificates which they asked for when the loan was setup at the branch (it was for postgraduate studies).

2. I've attached a PDF which contains the quotation page and has the relevant information on - this is the same on the agreement - as it's easier to do that way (photobucket seems to take forever).

3. The first time I heard from them they quoted the current account number and said it was owing from HSBC, but have regularly updated the two accounts at the CRAs (and recorded two defaults).

I'll wait to see what comes in the DSAR.

quotation-doc.pdf

Hi ZIngy,

I am not very knowledgeable about this type of loan but it surprises me that they originally lumped two amounts together, which you couldnt pay, into a further loan which they must have known you would also struggle to pay !

So irresponsible lending comes to mind.

I am also not too sure why Met collections would quote the McGuffick case. I dont recall there being any mention of a signature being required in that judgement. Apart from which, is that decision not being appealed !

I think you will need to have a good look at the SAR data when it arrives to see if there is anything you can use.. ie what was their decision making procedure in the first instance.

Have you received a Default Notice on this account ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi ZIngy,

I am not very knowledgeable about this type of loan but it surprises me that they originally lumped two amounts together, which you couldnt pay, into a further loan which they must have known you would also struggle to pay !

So irresponsible lending comes to mind.

I am also not too sure why Met collections would quote the McGuffick case. I dont recall there being any mention of a signature being required in that judgement. Apart from which, is that decision not being appealed !

I think you will need to have a good look at the SAR data when it arrives to see if there is anything you can use.. ie what was their decision making procedure in the first instance.

Have you received a Default Notice on this account ?

Thanks, CB.

Not sure if I explained myself correctly. Basically, I had a student account from 2000 to 2004 for my degree (originally opened in 1998 ). I then did a Postgrad degree and they extended the student account for another year and I also took out the above loan.

In september 2005 the student account changed into a graduate account and I then started to pay installments on the loan in march 2006.

In late 2006 I got into financial difficulties and sent letters offering repayment to HSBC (didn't include the current account o/d), and Metropolitan wrote back to my proposal for repayment with the details of the current account, but the total amount was the loan and the o/d combined.

Never received default notices either.

Currently, I'm just on an arrangement to pay with MCS.

Hi zingy , the calculation of the loan is absolutely spot -on , so no joy there I'm afraid ..... :(

But let's see what the SAR produces ....... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hiya Zingy, the first thought that strikes me is they cant lump a current account overdraft and a loan balance together they are both debts yes but two totaly different animals.

Current accounts have a totaly different legal basis to a loans i.e. the loan will have a loan agreement with all of the prescribed terms detailed and the overdraft is a facility of your current account granted at the banks discretion and will have no specific agreement apart from the banks published terms of the current account and maybe a letter from the bank confirming your overdraft limit.

The only way the bank or metropolitan (effectivly the same people) can have lumped these together is to actualy issue a new loan for the combined amount... so do you have a loan agreement for that? :D just a thought :rolleyes:.

pete

Hiya Zingy, the first thought that strikes me is they cant lump a current account overdraft and a loan balance together they are both debts yes but two totaly different animals.

Current accounts have a totaly different legal basis to a loans i.e. the loan will have a loan agreement with all of the prescribed terms detailed and the overdraft is a facility of your current account granted at the banks discretion and will have no specific agreement apart from the banks published terms of the current account and maybe a letter from the bank confirming your overdraft limit.

The only way the bank or metropolitan (effectivly the same people) can have lumped these together is to actualy issue a new loan for the combined amount... so do you have a loan agreement for that? :D just a thought :rolleyes:.

pete

Nope. Just have arrangement to pay with Metropolitan after I sent I&E details to HSBC in 2006.

The DSAR came today from HSBC - totally incomplete (only includes information relating to CC I hold with them and doesn't contain anything relating to the above accounts - a letter goes off tomorrow to them then).

------------

DSAR Questions

The CC statements supplied are only back until 2004, but the CC was opened in 2000 - pretty sure I should get all information they hold for accounts, no matter the length of information going back, shouldn't I? (as long as the account is still 'active').

Just want to make sure before I include it in the letter.

Also, would I have to DSAR Metropolitan to get all of the information they have on me or should this be in the HSBC DSAR? Just thinking as Metropolitan is a Ltd company.

----------

Not the first DSAR I've received that has been incomplete though, a number of other organisations are rubbish at sending all of the information.

Hi zingy , not sure about them being a limited company ..... I don't think they're listed in Companies House as a company ...... they're merely HSBCs In-house colllection branch , using their premises , database , everything except Headed Paper ..........

you could have a read of this thread when you've got time ...... :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/151559-truth-about-mcs-metropolitan.html

As for the other, send a call -up letter to the same place you sent the SAR ..... and list what you believe is missing ....... they'll probaby tell you they only go back 6 six years , but if the account is still extant they should have the stuff ....

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/129-data-protection-act-non-compliance-template-letters-

Nemo me impune lacessit

Cheers, Johnny.

I'll take a look through the thread you mentioned.

MCS are registered with companies house: WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

And, a summary document sent with the DSAR letter includes the following:

HSBC Group

"HSBC Group" means HSBC Holdings plc, its subsidiaries, associated and affiliated companies.

So, not sure if MCS would be included in the above. I've also received some information re my CCA request with MCS (for the credit card), so I'll start a new thread this afternoon on that.

Well, well! They must have slipped that in under the net, I'm sure someone checked that a while ago and they weren't registered as a Company :confused:. But no matter , they're still HSBC's In -house collectors . :rolleyes:

Thinking about it , your credit card stuff should also come with your SAR .. it covers every account you have with them .. virtually anything with your name on it..........

What to ask for in a SAR (courtesy of Freakyleaky

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca.html

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) information, they have a legal obligation to provide ALL of the records they hold on you when you request it. This includes ALL of your accounts ALL of their internal notes and ALL of their correspondence ANYTHING with your name on it, and all for £10.00

They should send you anything with your name on it for any account of yours they have for a single Subject Access Request. This has nothing to do with how many accounts you hold with them its a request for all and any data they hold concerning you, this includes

copies of correspondence

copies of internal notes, copies of any telephone recordings or a transcript of the recording

copies of statements of account

and last but not least a copy of the terms and conditions agreed to by you governing the account.

Literally anything with your name on it or about you... and all for £10.00

Nemo me impune lacessit

Thanks, Johnny. Sent a letter yesterday stating that they hadn't complied etc.

However, looks as though other creditors are happy to play the game of annoying me - just had HBOS send statements for a CC going back 5 years when it was opened in 2001. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I know zingy , but don't take it personally, they're quite happy to annoy everybody .... that's what banks are about these days ..... they should , even by law go back 6 years , but they're maybe playing silly beggars and counting 2010 as year....... so if your statements are from 2004....... that would be 6 years in their book .

Having said that , if the account is still extant - they should be able to give you the lot ..... try pushing them.... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Yeah, going to pop a letter in the post on Monday - the statements were from 08/2005 so not sure what they're playing at. Other things wrong too, so I'll give them another chance to get it right (3rd one now) and then complain to the ICO me thinks.

Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
Update:

Well, I think they've had enough time now and I haven't heard a thing. Looks as though it's time to complain to the ICO.

That sounds like a plan, zingy:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

An update on this.

I've received more information from HSBC with regards to my accounts (the current account and the loan clubbed together as one, without me knowing).

The two accounts are listed as separate ones in all of the paperwork supplied (i.e., the C/A is listed as separate to the loan account on the 'client printout' that MCS has given (or passed to) HSBC). Also, the default amounts 'passed to MCS' are also listed separately.

Yet, the statement of account printout (supplied by MCS to HSBC 'the client') shows payments going into one 'account' and it being treated as such, yet both account numbers are at the top.

I also looked over all of the paperwork in relation to MCS contacting me back in 2006, and their initial letter quoted the full balance of both defaulted accounts as one and only quoted the C/A sort code and account number (which includes £800 in charges etc).

My key question is: how can they lump this together, but not advise me and also keep reporting about two accounts to the CRAs? Can I do anything about it?

Also, HSBC ignored the fact that I asked for all information held by MCS too (seen as MCS report to Companies House that they have no employees and all services are supplied by HSBC companies in the group), but who then would send this information?

Edited by zingy

Whatever HSBC and Metro do you should keep the two disputes seperate, loans and current accounts have different terns and conditions and are therefore subject to different statutory laws.

Your right about Metro having no employees they are effectivly just a letter head that HSBC and DG staff use to frighten people therefore there wont be any information held my Metro because its all on the HSBC computer system.

pete

Just to clarify

I had a student account from 2000 to 2004 - I then extended the student account for another year

I also took out the loan.

In september 2005 the student account changed into a graduate account

I started to pay the loan in march 2006.

sent letters offering repayment to HSBC

Metropolitan wrote back with the details of the current account, but the total amount was the loan and the o/d combined.

they cant lump a current account overdraft and a loan balance together

they are both debts yes but two totaly different animals.

The only way the bank or metropolitan (effectivly the same people) can have lumped these together is to actualy issue a new loan for the combined amount... so do you have a loan agreement for that? :D just a thought

It may be that the Debt Collector is simply supplying a single outstanding balance on multiple accounts for the sake of simplicity, or laziness depending on your opinion.

The advice you have been given is absolutely spot on, the loan and the current account are completely separate legal entities and cannot be merged or conjoined, for all of the reasons laid out earlier the two forms of credit would need to be cancelled/paid off and a new credit facility taken out for the new/combined amount.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the status of Metro, they will no doubt operate under the blanket licence re data protection that HSBC and all of the other large financial institutions seem to possess these days, it normally appears at the bottom of the letter as something along the lines of "Metro is a trading name of HSBC etc and so on".

The main point is that the two amounts are completely separate, should never be recognised by you as one outstanding debt and should never be included in the same statement at any time.

My own opinion is to play them at their own game.

Write to them (Metro) asking them to what they are referring when they state that you owe £xxxx (combined amount) as you have never taken out credit for this amount.

As you cannot acknowledge such a debt, it would be reasonable for you to insist that if they are going to refer to an unknown amount, then you must demand that they clarify what this unrecognised amount is.

Also as mentioned earlier I would also insist on seeing first hand a copy of the new agreement for this new amount.

Then when they clarify that they have acted outside of the terms and conditions of both of the original agreements by conjoining the two accounts - make them produce the agreements for both of the original amounts

the current account wouldn't have a cca, but should have a letter stating the terms and conditions of the operation of the account