Whats the difference between compound contractual interest and contractaul interest?

Sexyeyes83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - there is no difference.

There are two methods of calculating interest which we use here. One is Simple interest, the other is Compound interest - and these are just methods of calculating it.

There are two types of interest which we use here. One is Statutory interest, the other is Contractual interest.

Statutory interest is always calculated as Simple interest.

Contractual interest is (or should be) always calculated as compound interest.

So Contractual interest is, by its' very nature, Compound interest.

HTH

Or to put it another way, there is no such thing as compound contractual interest.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

As I remember it from school (Which was a very,very long time ago)

Simple interest.....

If, for example, you wanted to work out the interest of £100 over 2years at 5%, then the interest would be £100 x 5% x 2 which equals £10.

Compound interest using the same figures.....

1st year (£100 + 5% = £105)

2nd year (£105 + 5% = £110.25) Minus the £100 gives intrerest of £10.25.

So basically simple interest is calculated on the original sum for the entire time.

Compound interest is calculated seperately for each year using the total (principal+interest) from the previous year.

In other words interest earned on the previous year's interest. etc.

Now that is about as clear as thick Lincoln pea soup.

If you understood it...... could you explain it to me, please.:D :D

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

In other words interest earned on the previous year's interest. etc.

Or any other period specified, so for bank accounts its calculated daily i believe.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi ALL,

There are two types of interest which we use here. One is Statutory interest, the other is Contractual interest.

Statutory interest is always calculated as Simple interest.

Contractual interest is (or should be) always calculated as compound interest...

Just to chuck a brick into the pond...:p

Whilst the above MAY be true.

(...and certainly is in the case of Banks & Credit Card Companies).

It would depend on the ACTUAL wording of any individual Contract and the stated terms of the burden of the Interest and it's Charge thereof contained within.

Whilst the majority of the CAG Membership may only be concerned about the Re-Claiming of unlawful Bank Charges etc.

...There are also those out there who could perhaps use some help with THEIR type of Interest?

A common type being the FLAT % RATE INTEREST, so often used in Car Financing!

Any takers for an explanation/spreadsheet etc???...lol...:)

Hi ALL,

Just to chuck a brick into the pond...:p

Whilst the above MAY be true.

(...and certainly is in the case of Banks & Credit Card Companies).

It would depend on the ACTUAL wording of any individual Contract and the stated terms of the burden of the Interest and it's Charge thereof contained within.

Whilst the majority of the CAG Membership may only be concerned about the Re-Claiming of unlawful Bank Charges etc.

...There are also those out there who could perhaps use some help with THEIR type of Interest?

A common type being the FLAT % RATE INTEREST, so often used in Car Financing!

Any takers for an explanation/spreadsheet etc???...lol...:)

Dunno about that mate - this is Bank Action Group. As I always say, if you need satisfaction from a faulty vacuum cleaner - you won't get it here !!! ;)

Suckers & blowers take a hike.

Flat % rate interest is surely just simple interest with a cheap car salesman's flasho sticker on it. I reckon that's about as far as yer average car salesman could throw it !! Just another label for the same damn thing, methinks.

I'll take a look around, though, if you really can't fathom it, mate.

...but I ain't gonna be sucked in on that one !!! :D

Morning bill-k!

Dunno about that mate - this is Bank Action Group. As I always say, if you need satisfaction from a faulty vacuum cleaner - you won't get it here !!! ;)

Am sorry to press U on this issue

But...

In the generic example of other types of Interest that I gave U, I mentioned Car Financing.

A popular company that does a lot of this is Welcome Finance.

It is listed on the CAG website, within the Bank Action Group section, in Other Institutions:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/5361-welcme-finance.html

Flat % rate interest is surely just simple interest with a cheap car salesman's flasho sticker on it. I reckon that's about as far as yer average car salesman could throw it !! Just another label for the same damn thing, methinks.

If U was to look a little bit deeper into the aforementioned type of Interest bill-k...

U may find it extremely repressive and mis-leadingly underhanded (IMHO).

Especially when unlawful Charges have been applied as well.

FWIW...

Welcome Finance currently advertise rates of Typically 21.1%APR for SECURED Loans (...under conventionally worked out Contractual Interest).

...I wouldn't dare have a nightmare about what their UNSECURED % Rate is!!!

NOR what their Flat % Rate Interest would be either!!!

Have the exhorbitantly (IMHO) high figures not whetted any Spreadies appetites???

Well, I must consider myself duly enlightened in that respect, then, MTM !! Blinkers off, spurs on, then !!

Having not bought a car from these (apparent) rodeo fans, I haven't had the pleasure of a square-dance with them !!

Taking out a secured loan for a car seems like a public declaration of insanity to me TBH !! Let me get this right - one has either managed to secure a mortgage on one's property or one owns the deeds thereto. Then one goes down the road to Mr. Flasho Dealership and pledges the lot on a car ? !!

These people need help, indeed. But I don't think a spreadsheet is going to be a lot of use, do you ?? This is clearly a job for trained counsellors, not the likes of me !!

:o

• 6 months later...

PMSL Bill ... only just spotted this one ... just luv your replies sometimes! :p;)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)