85 year olds being harrased for anothers debt..

promuso
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My two old parents are constantly receiving letters addressed to someone who once [..up until about 10 months ago] lived at their address. They are also receiving phone calls from one of the companies.

There appears to be around 6 or 7 companies involved [not debt collection agencies....yet!] and I wrote to each one, recorded delivery, around June last, advising them that the person they were seeking no longer lived at the address and to refrain from any further contact with my parents [ who are not involved in any way with these matters].

Letters [..and calls] have continued since then and I would like to know the next step I should take on behalf of my parents - who are becoming more distressed with each contact.

Any advice on the way forward to prevent this continual harrasment..??

Many Thanks

promuso

Really I think you need to get Trading Standards involved. Also you need to official complain to these companies if they fail to resolve your complaint you can then get the FOS involved.

You can find your local Trading Standards here Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If these "people" are ignoring your letters then I'd simply have the phone number changed and return ALL mail unopened stating Not Known At This Address.

BT are excellent at changing phone numbers due to harassment and normally do it within a few minutes.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Complain to TS and see what they advise.

You could also consider an action against these companies under the Protection from Harassment Act. Your parents would be entitled to an injunction against them and damages.

Also, under Protection from Harassment Act- a complaint to the Police would be in order, as harassment is an offence with very serious penalties.

If these "people" are ignoring your letters then I'd simply have the phone number changed and return ALL mail unopened stating Not Known At This Address.

BT are excellent at changing phone numbers due to harassment and normally do it within a few minutes.

Hmm. Thanks.

After 85 years, informing everyone of a change of telephone number is not that straightforward. In addition, if I/they do not open the letters, how would they now where to send them back to...?

Indeed, my experience is if you ignore letters the company does not just go away. The next thing will be debt collectors knocking on the door. At their age, phone calls and letters are already quite distressing, someone on the doorstep would be just anout too much..

promuso

:confused:

If changing your parents number is not an option maybe BT's choose to refuse service may be the answer if you know the phone numbers that are calling your parents.

I would also suggest you do as advised previously, contact trading standards, send official complaints to the companies involved and tell them if they contact you again you will report them to the Police under the Protection from Harassment Act.

If you have informed these companies that the debtor they seek does not live at the address any longer then you have done more than you needed do.

As for not knowing where to send the letters back to without opening them, WHO CARES where they go back to. They are addressed to a person no longer at that address, end off story. Just put NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS and sling them back in the post box.

You do not need to prove anything to these companies. Your parents are not the people they seek and you have told them this.

It can be a very frustrating experience, a situation like this, but DO NOT let them bully or intimidate you or your parents.

They disgust me companies like this, my mother in law had exactly them same problem when she moved in to sheltered accommodation. They just don't listen to anything you tell them.

if I/they do not open the letters, how would they now where to send them back to...?

They don't need to. Just write not known at this address. It is actually an offence to open someone elses mail.

The next thing will be debt collectors knocking on the door.

Err no. That's why you need to make an official complaint as I already posted.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.