• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How to get out of an IVA - urgent help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Friends of mine are about a year into an IVA. Their original debt was about 40K (no doubt including lots of charges and other nasties). I have the IVA agreement in front of me and it says that they will review the payments on an annual basis.

My friend has just called to say that the IP has told them they have to pay £1000 NOW because her OH had earned £2000 more than he had expected to. They send payslips every three months and the IP tells them how much to pay. Her OH does seasonal work so his earnings will now drop until Feb/March.

I have suggested that they approach the original creditors, whose names and addresses are handily supplied in the IVA agreement, to see if they will accept direct payments and kick the IP into touch.

What I need to know - asap - is whether this can be done? If the OC's agree to accept direct payments then the IP cannot use the BR weapon. There is no 'get out' clause in the agreement as far as I can see - unless you die. Any advice from someone who has been in this situation would be welcome.

Thanks

Goldlady:)

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK you cannot pay creditors direct when you are in a IVA as it is a formal insolvency arrangement. Did the IP make the proposal based on seasonal earnings? What is in their agreeement about windfalls, bonuses etc.

What assets are they trying to protect with the IVA?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi Gizmo, they own their house - we are having battle to reclaim £13K + interest of PPI at the moment which will mean they will have some equity - at the moment they don't have much equity:mad:

The agreement states they will pay £xx per week and that they will also pay 50% of any excess income and that they will supply payslips to the IP every six months. What they have been doing is sending them every three months and the IP has been adjusting the payments accordingly. So all of a sudden they are told that they need to pay this extra £1000 when they have been keeping the IP informed and have been taking guidance from him about how much to pay.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Deleting the PPI will reduce their secured loan debt. I guess it will not substantially improve their situation day to day as the reduced loan payment will affect their outgoings and therefore the IVA payment but at least they won't have such a huge debt secured on their home.

I think like most people they were terrified of the idea of BR. Possibly they might have kept their house but they did all this without telling anyone or getting advice - just contacted one of these IVA companies who advertise on the telly!

BANK CHARGES

Others

I think like most people they were terrified of the idea of BR. Possibly they might have kept their house but they did all this without telling anyone or getting advice - just contacted one of these IVA companies who advertise on the telly!

Arrrghhh!

I'm sorry to read this, an IVA is only suitable for a VERY slim percentage of people. The only way really of finishing the IVA is if it fails, if this happens the IP is duty bound to inform the creditors of the next best option, which could be bankruptcy proceedings. Do your friends have the £1000 available? I'm guessing not. Was there an equity clause within the IVA?

Hi sequenci, by equity clause do you mean was the house included? There is a paragraph saying that originally 'Mr' had intended to place 75% of his equitable interest in the house into the IVA but because a major creditor had refused to accept this proposal as they felt it was unrealistic (:confused:) it did not happen. The IP has registered form RX1 with HMLR which apparently means they cannot sell the house without the supervisor being notified.

My friends have managed to locate the T&C (always useful) and I will be getting a copy from them. It seems that the supervisor can be removed by the creditors - from a paragraph my friend read to me I do wonder if they can approach the creditors themselves? As the IP is getting 2/3 of the payments I suspect if it can be done they might just accept. I will wait until I see the T&C in full.

BANK CHARGES

Others

My friends have managed to locate the T&C (always useful) and I will be getting a copy from them. It seems that the supervisor can be removed by the creditors - from a paragraph my friend read to me I do wonder if they can approach the creditors themselves? As the IP is getting 2/3 of the payments I suspect if it can be done they might just accept. I will wait until I see the T&C in full.

I'm really interested to hear more about that paragraph, as an IVA is binding I really would be surprised if your friends would have the ability to negotiate directly with the creditors. One thing to also consider is that when you make payments within an IVA, the first payments usually go to the IP for their fees - some folks may think they have paid a significant amount to their creditors when in reality all they have done is lined the pockets of the IVA company.

Hi sequenci, I now have the T&C's - apparently they are standard relating to IVAs. The paragraph my friend highlighted reads:

19. Removal of Supervisor from office

19(1) [Methods of removal] On cause being shown, the Supervisor may be removed from office by the Court or by a resolution of a meeting of Creditors

19(2) [Notice of requisitioned meeting] Any notice served by a Creditor upon the Supervisor under Paragraph 60.2 (notice requisitioning meeting) for the purpose of convening a meeting of Creditors to remove the Supervisor from office must set out the grounds upon which his removal is sought.

60(2) [Power to requisition a meeting] If requested in writing by the Debtor, or by Creditors with not less than one quarter in value of the total amount of Debts subject to the Arrangement, the Supervisor shall, unless relieved by the Court from so doing, convene a meeting of Creditors within 21 days from the receipt of such request.

As you rightly state the supervisor is claiming £9500 of costs - out of total IVA receipts of £24K he gets 25%. In year 1 the creditors get nothing, in the second year just over £2K and in total over the five years they get £14855.

My friends are in the process of reclaming PPI on a secured loan which will hopefully reduce their secured debt by 20K. I have suggested to them that if they can keep the IVA going until they have done this they will be able to borrow a further £20k and offer this to the creditors as a ffs. It will give the creditors more than the IVA, immediately, and I think it might work.

I will send a link of this thread to eggie who succeeded in escaping from an IVA by doing exactly that to see if he can give any more guidance.

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 2 months later...

I am re-awakening this thread incase there is anyone out there who has managed to get out of an IVA.

All comments welcome.

Thanks

BANK CHARGES

Others

Here I am again. The Supervisors have written to my friends saying that in almost all cases the creditors have claimed more than was originally put on the statement of affairs - some by a few hundred but one of them (Barclays) by over £3K. As the original calculations were to give creditors 53p in the £1 then my friends have been told they have to increase their payments.

Also, there is a charge on the house meaning that in year 4 they need to give 85% of the equity to their creditors. This was in spite of the mortgage company refusing this.

I can't understand how the creditors can suddenly increase the amount. And also wonder how my friends can be asked to pay more. Presumably the original calculation of how much they could afford should be re-jigged so that the split between the creditors balances out rather than them having to pay more.

Also, is it possible to send CCA/SAR to creditors when under an IVA? Obviously no-one has ever ascertained how much of these debts amount to charges (particularly in the case of Barclays and the sudden extra £3K).

Ideas anyone?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hi GL.

I am glad you have raised this Issue as I have friends in very similar situation and have been searching on here for a get out clause.

These are a young couple, no equity one is a student the other works for a call centre I think the owe £8,000 and apparently they tried to get a loan to pay off all the debts but for some reason they were talked into a IVA this IVA is apparently not making the agreed payments so the couple are still getting letters from their creditors.

Am I right in thinking that you need to have debts totaling a minimum of 15,000.

I have just read that once a person gets a IVA they are unable to obtain any further credit similar to the rules of Bankruptcy also it's entered into their credit file. They are fuming as they were not told any of this info so know think they have been sold something they did not want.

They have just received a letter annual review and like you want to know if they can cancel.

I am really upset for them as reading all the debts most of them are for credit cards which have a hell of a lot of chargers on them and could have claimed this all back.

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

Hi Pen, I am not sure about the lower limit for an IVA but they have definitely been mis-sold it - new type of claim 'mis-selling of IVA'.

Strangely I have a copy of the original letter sent to the creditors by the IVA company in with our SAR to the secured loan company. This says that the agreed amount is 38p in the £1 and not 53p in the £1 - it also says that the equity in the house is not included in the IVA.

Someone somewhere is telling porkies. I have drafted a letter to the IP but I need to know who they are answerable to as I wonder if this might be a way out for my friends. The other creditors I guess - if I can manage to 'discredit' them .....

I will post the letter up when I have finished it - hopefully others will come along and help here Pen. I will see what I can find out about the limit.:p

BANK CHARGES

Others

16 February 2008

IVA company

For the attention of Fred and Wilma - Insolvency Practitioners

Dear Sirs

Re: Goldlady's friends

I write in connection with your letter to the above-named dated January 2008. I will be obtaining a signed authority from them to deal with matters concerning this Individual Voluntary Arrangement, which I shall forward to you in the next few days.

I have a copy of the original IVA paperwork and have some concerns which I shall address here.

Firstly your letter of January states that they had agreed to pay a minimum dividend of 53p in the £1 however the paperwork in my possession indicates that this was 38p. This is indeed backed up by a copy of your original letter sent to one of the creditors which I have received.

Secondly it seems that correct account balances were not obtained from the creditors at the commencement of the arrangement. I am at a loss to understand this, and also would dispute the increase of over £3000 in the Barclays balance. Surely my clients are entitled to an explanation of this large increase.

Thirdly, if the balance owed to creditors has been increased legitimately, surely the outcome of this should be that the payments are apportioned differently, and indeed the dividend be reduced accordingly, rather than my clients having to pay extra money.

Fouthly, I note that you expect them to pay an extra £1000 or so into the arrangement. As they are living from week to week I question how you expect them to find a lump sum such as this. Particularly as they have sent you their wage slips every three months, which is more often than required under the agreement, to ensure that such a shortfall does not occur.

Finally, I also note from the original paperwork that the mortgage lender had refused to accept the proposal to remortgage and allow 75% of any remaining equity to be remortgaged towards the end of the agreement (which has now increased to 85% according to your letter). It is certainly my clients' understanding that this requirement had been excluded from the arrangement, and indeed again the creditor’s copy of your letter would also indicate that the property was not included in the calculations.

I would appreciate your urgent response to these questions.

Yours faithfully

Goldlady

LLB (Hons)

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hi.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

This might be useful if it turns out that you have grounds for a complaint:

How to make a complaint against an Insolvency Practitioner

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks for that Fermi - I suspect I may need to do this:D

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 1 month later...

Hi again. My friends' PPI claim was successful and we are waiting to see how the recalculation of their payments on the secured loan will pan out.

In the meantime, and fermi already knows about this, my friend has received a letter from 'THE IVA COUNCIL'. These people have told her that it is likely her IVA was mis-sold and that they are trying to help people in that situation. The letter implies that they are an official body but in fact they are a bit like CAG as far as I can see, and their website (which I have been waiting since last Friday for a password so I can post there) says that they are trying to get a body of people together to fight the 'claims farm' type of IVA practitioners who are in it to make a fast buck at the debtor's expense.

I am going to ring these people tomorrow and see what I can find out. They seem to be fighting in the right corner. I have read that they tell people to stop paying their IP - my friend's letter does not say this at all I must say.

Incidentally her IVA company have now ignored two letters from me - the one I posted above and a reminder I sent last week.

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 1 month later...

Hi again. Finally got a response from the IP on this one.

There is a lot to take in, but the paragraph that particularly appeals to me is:

The balances stated at the outset of the IVA were those provided by the Clients as confirmed by paperwork they provided. If the Clients dispute any of the claims made by creditors if they confirm this we can contact the creditors and request that they substantiate the claims and then present any proof to the Clients for their comment.

Is this the time to send CCA letters to all the creditors? Do I see a window of opportunity?

BANK CHARGES

Others

What does anyone think about sending CCA letters to the creditors?

BANK CHARGES

Others

A CCA is only going to get you a "statement of account". Perhaps an S.AR would be more appropriate if you are looking to dispute claimed balances?

Please avoid the IVA Council. I've lost count of the number of professional debt advisors that I've asked for an opinion about them in passing, and the all say the same thing; "Avoid like the plague". This is coming from people who have no love of IVAs and even less for any genuine mis-selling. I've even spoken to an IP that hates the "IVA factories" that "mislead" people into IVAs, and he tells me that they are worse than even these "vultures".

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks fermi. I have not contacted the IVA council and am still waiting for my login details to their website:mad:.

I have a good friend who is an IP and I am going to have a chat with him about their situation. Their financial position has improved for a variety of reasons and I think there must be a better way of sorting out their finances. The terms of the IVA are crippling and I really can't believe that they agreed to it.

I have been sent a copy of the final agreement which they signed. Not only is it 53p in the pound, but they have agreed to remortgage for up to 85% of the property value in two years time and what is horrific is that if they are unable to obtain a remortgage they have to pay the difference in value within the next twelve months.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I have a good friend who is an IP and I am going to have a chat with him about their situation.

Sounds like a good plan. :)

IVAs are something that I really need to read up on more sometime, but the conditions you have stated don't sound that unusual. :o That's one reason why I'm not a big fan of IVAs, and why the professional debt advice organisations (CCCS etc) only recommend one in a very small percentage of cases. I tend to point people asking about IVAs in the dircetion of this first: Guide to IVAs - Are they worth it?. Somewhat simplistic, but it is more realistic than the sales talk you will get from the IVA company advisors.:rolleyes:

When I was at the official receivers last week (on another matter;)) I saw leaflets saying you could arrange an IVA through them. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but wonder if that would cut out the extortionate IP fees.

BANK CHARGES

Others

That would be a Fast-Track Voluntary Arrangement I think.

What is a fast-track voluntary arrangement?

An FTVA is a binding agreement with your creditors to pay all or part of the money you owe them. You can only enter into it after you have been made bankrupt. In an FTVA the official receiver acts as nominee; that is, he/she helps you prepare a proposal to put to your creditors and, if they accept the proposal, acts as supervisor, looking after the arrangement and making payments to your creditors in accordance with your proposal.

The official receiver's fee to act as nominee is £300, and as supervisor he/she also charges 15% of all sums realised. In addition, you will have to pay a registration fee of £35 for your FTVA to be recorded on the public register of all individual voluntary arrangements.

Ah that would be the one then;)

I must contact my friend who managed to get out of an IVA by remortgaging. I know it is a really bad time to even consider doing this but what I can't work out is how he managed to get the remortgage in the first place.

BANK CHARGES

Others