• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

BCW and Aktiv

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Bit of a long one I'm afraid:

Back in November other half received a final notice of payment of a debt from BCW on behalf of Aktiv Kapital.

We knew nothing of this debt and checked on Equifax and Call Credit - nothing showing.

We sent a CCA request for copies of the credit agreement, deed of assignment and statement of account - copied to BCW and Aktiv by recorded delivery.

Over a a month later we get a photocopy of the credit agreement from BCW - but no deed of assignment or statement of account.

We reply again asking for this information - yet all we get back is another formal demand - with the comment that we are not trying to resolve this issue - when we clearly are.

We talked to CAB and they phoned BCW demanding the deed of assignment and statement. BCW stated account was on hold until these arrived.

1 month later no paperwork appears but another final demand.

In the meantime other half contacts Experian and low and behold she has a CCJ against her from CL Finance on behalf of GE Capital for £315. This was news to us! We contacted the court and got a copy of the judgement summary (no further details though).

So we phoned Aktiv 2 weeks ago asking for deed of assignment and statement of account. They said they'll post them.

2 weeks go by we get another final demand from BCW.

So today we phone Aktiv again, and state that we need to see the deed of assignment and statement of account. The Aktive chap was all defensive and stated that it would take 12 weeks to get the details from CL Finance as they didn't have them. Though he did finally concede that he could fax over the deed of assignment (not received yet)

He then went on to say that it would cost Aktiv more to get the details than the value of the debt (£315) - so he made an offer - pay now over the phone for just £185.

This seems very odd why take less money from us than the debt is worth?

I guess our concerns are these:

we still don't have any written proof of the debt (statement of account)

we still don't as yet (though we await the fax of the deed of assignment) that Aktiv are the "owners/managers" of said debt

if the debt is real we want make sure the correct creditor is paid to clear the CCJ (is this GE, CL, Aktiv or BCW).

edited to add that we have the fax of the deed of assignment.

Should we ask Aktiv to fax us their offer and the conditions it applies - so we have physical evidence. Or should we write (again) to them requesting the statement of account.

If we do take up the offer, what do we need of Aktiv to get the CCJ cleared?

sorry its a long one - but thanks in advance if anyone can help.

CD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Bit of a long one I'm afraid:

Back in November other half received a final notice of payment of a debt from BCW on behalf of Aktiv Kapital.

We knew nothing of this debt and checked on Equifax and Call Credit - nothing showing.

We sent a CCA request for copies of the credit agreement, deed of assignment and statement of account - copied to BCW and Aktiv by recorded delivery.

Over a a month later we get a photocopy of the credit agreement from BCW - but no deed of assignment or statement of account.

We reply again asking for this information - yet all we get back is another formal demand - with the comment that we are not trying to resolve this issue - when we clearly are.

We talked to CAB and they phoned BCW demanding the deed of assignment and statement. BCW stated account was on hold until these arrived.

1 month later no paperwork appears but another final demand.

In the meantime other half contacts Experian and low and behold she has a CCJ against her from CL Finance on behalf of GE Capital for £315. This was news to us! We contacted the court and got a copy of the judgement summary (no further details though).

So we phoned Aktiv 2 weeks ago asking for deed of assignment and statement of account. They said they'll post them.

2 weeks go by we get another final demand from BCW.

So today we phone Aktiv again, and state that we need to see the deed of assignment and statement of account. The Aktive chap was all defensive and stated that it would take 12 weeks to get the details from CL Finance as they didn't have them. Though he did finally concede that he could fax over the deed of assignment (not received yet)

He then went on to say that it would cost Aktiv more to get the details than the value of the debt (£315) - so he made an offer - pay now over the phone for just £185.

This seems very odd why take less money from us than the debt is worth?

I guess our concerns are these:

we still don't have any written proof of the debt (statement of account)

we still don't as yet (though we await the fax of the deed of assignment) that Aktiv are the "owners/managers" of said debt

if the debt is real we want make sure the correct creditor is paid to clear the CCJ (is this GE, CL, Aktiv or BCW).

edited to add that we have the fax of the deed of assignment.

Should we ask Aktiv to fax us their offer and the conditions it applies - so we have physical evidence. Or should we write (again) to them requesting the statement of account.

If we do take up the offer, what do we need of Aktiv to get the CCJ cleared?

sorry its a long one - but thanks in advance if anyone can help.

CD

Before we tackle anything else...A CCJ you say? Is it at your present address?! What court was it in, and how much is the judgement for? If you do have a County Court Judgement against you, and you haven't paid it- they would have sent in the baliff's by now...Can you clear this point up first and we'll go from there...In the meantime- no more phoning Aktiv!!

Just hate every DCA out there

Before we tackle anything else...A CCJ you say? Is it at your present address?! What court was it in, and how much is the judgement for? If you do have a County Court Judgement against you, and you haven't paid it- they would have sent in the baliff's by now...Can you clear this point up first and we'll go from there...In the meantime- no more phoning Aktiv!!

The CCJ is at a previous address - we knew nothing of it (even though we had a 6 month postal redirect which should have covered the dates stated on the CCJ). It was Northampton for £315.

And re: phoning OK I'll let the other half know!

thanks.

The CCJ is at a previous address - we knew nothing of it (even though we had a 6 month postal redirect which should have covered the dates stated on the CCJ). It was Northampton for £315.

And re: phoning OK I'll let the other half know!

thanks.

Hmmm...Going to have to hope someone else comes to the thread who knows more about getting CCJ's set aside...I'm sure there's a point re not knowing anything about the court order in the first place, although I'm not certain so I won't advise on that point. 2) What's the amount you have to pay each month on the CCJ. It's advisable (at this juncture) that you pay that amount as they will possibly execute a warrant and send baliff's in.

Once this important point is dealt with, we can move along with what else you can do re a SAR and a CCA. But as I said, don't ring Activ, keep everything in writing.

As for Activ saying pay £185 to clear when there's a supposed CCJ for £315.00 hmmm...THat seems wrong wrong wrong...Sorry to bang on on this point, but you're positive there's a CCJ ?

OOps..sorry...you said in your first post that there was a CCJ on your wife's file...Seems weird all this....

Send a CCA to Aktiv first and foremost. Use this letter below...Don't forget the £1.00 postal order and send recorded.

To Whom It May Concern

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company.

I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee.

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours Faithfully

2) What's the amount you have to pay each month on the CCJ. It's advisable (at this juncture) that you pay that amount as they will possibly execute a warrant and send baliff's in.

It doesn't say on the summary sheet we have about a minimum monthly payment.

The ability to pay the debt is not an issue, it is the fact that Aktiv and BCW have failed to fully supply the documents we requested (and we paid the pound) - i.e. we are still waiting for the statement of account.

We have a photocopy of the Credit Agreement (took more than a month) and a fax of the deed of assignment (got it today so over 3 months).

Is this now enough for the debt to be proven and that Aktiv are the managers of the debt.

The odd thing was the phone offer of settling direct for just £185 - just made it sound iffy.

I guess we write to them asking them to confirm in writing their offer - or do we push for the statement of account?

thanks again.

OOps..sorry...you said in your first post that there was a CCJ on your wife's file...Seems weird all this....

Send a CCA to Aktiv first and foremost. Use this letter below...Don't forget the £1.00 postal order and send recorded...

Thanks, we did all that back in November, all we have received is a photocopy of the credit agreement from BCW. Though today we should have a fax of the deed of assignment from Aktiv.

edited to add we keep getting monthly reminders from BCW so we sought CAB advice who phoned BCW on our behalf.

cheers!

are you sure its the credit agreement with amount borrowed, interest that sort of thing and NOT an application (as lots of them do send out the application)

Kenny

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

As for Activ saying pay £185 to clear when there's a supposed CCJ for £315.00 hmmm...THat seems wrong wrong wrong...Sorry to bang on on this point, but you're positive there's a CCJ ?

According to Experian yes there is a CCJ .And we got a copy of the CCJ summary from Northampton County Court.

This is why we are suspicious of Aktiv - why would they make an offer of a lower amount?

are you sure its the credit agreement with amount borrowed, interest that sort of thing and NOT an application (as lots of them do send out the application)

Kenny

It looks like the application form to be honest (it is not in front of me ATM), it had no figures non it at all. It was a store card BTW.

We have not seen anything from the original creditors (GE Capital it seems) that has a statement of account - so no proof of the original debt as far as I can tell.

thanks

It looks like the application form to be honest (it is not in front of me ATM), it had no figures non it at all. It was a store card BTW.

We have not seen anything from the original creditors (GE Capital it seems) that has a statement of account - so no proof of the original debt as far as I can tell.

thanks

Hmm...Going to have to wait for someone to come along who knows about this sort of thing percisely...Just one other question, was the CCA sent recorded? I can't understand why they are doing what they are doing (or not doing as the case may be) even though they have a CCJ..

if its an application form then that is not a CCA request

someone will tell you the particulars of what should be in it, but it should be a balance and other things, including interest etc!

and should have the words Consumer Credit in there too!

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

update:

We have the fax from Aktiv that they claim is a deed of assignment showing that they manage the debt.

However all it is a letter created by themselves (their headed paper, their signature) stating they manage the debt from CL Finance.

Surely this can't be right?

Surely CL Finance or some other authority must state the re-assignment of the agreement to a third party - not the third party simply making the claim!

[cynic mode]

if it is the case anyone can search for CCJs (they are public records no?) and then write a letter stating that they now manage the debt on behalf of XYZ when in fact they don't

[/cynic mode]

Should we write to CL Finance to get a deed of assignment from them?

Or is this all really above board?

TIA

The important thing here is to get the CCJ set aside and then worry about challenging the debt - what date did they apply for the CCJ and have you received notice of t his.

The CCJ was issued in March 2004 to our old address - but we knew nothing of it despite having postal redirect that would have covered the period. (i.e. no bills from store card, no final reminders etc, nothing). First we heard about this was Nov, 2006 when BCW wrote their first letter.

How do we go about getting the CCJ set aside? Is it not too late almost 3 years on?

The CCJ was issued in March 2004 to our old address - but we knew nothing of it despite having postal redirect that would have covered the period. (i.e. no bills from store card, no final reminders etc, nothing). First we heard about this was Nov, 2006 when BCW wrote their first letter.

How do we go about getting the CCJ set aside? Is it not too late almost 3 years on?

As you never knew about it and neer contested it it is possible to get it set aside.

|If however you don't get it set aside and just accept it then requesting all the paperwork is irrelevant.

Do you beleive that the amount of the CCJ is correct and applies to the alledged debt?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Do you beleive that the amount of the CCJ is correct and applies to the alledged debt?

The amount quoted on the CCJ matches the amounts quoted by BCW and Aktiv and match the values stated on a Experian credit check as defaulted payments to GE Capital.

So does this all sound above board?

However, we still don't recognise the debt as we have no records of it at all, no statements etc.

Now we did move house, and it is possible that we used the store card, and it is possible we have made a mistake. The problem is without seeing any statements we don't know what the debt alludes to.

If the debt is genuinely ours we'll gladly pay - but we want to make sure we pay the correct people so we can inform the court that the CCJ has been paid.

Sticking my oar in here, i would firstly get the CCJ set aside. thsiwill completely bugger up your credit record and needs to be done now.

Secondly, get in contact with OFT & TS as they haven't complied with the CCA. Get someone else to help sort this out - they clearly ahven't listened to you and aren't likely to do so now.

I would also send off an SAR to GE and find out what has actually happened with your account. if you genuinely can't remember, it could be a case of identity fraud or other fraud.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 2 weeks later...

and so it continues...

We now get yet another letter from BCW stating Aktiv as their client yet now also stating that the creditor is "Arcadia DEBANHAMSSTORECARD".

This is the first we have heard of Arcadia. The creditor we have the signed agreement with is GE Capital - so surely they should be listed as the creditor or a deed of assignment given showing someone else.

And now they are threatening to moving to court proceedings as we have made no attempt to resolve this matter. Despite the 8 letters to BCW and Aktiv and the fax from Aktiv that we should deal directly with them and not BCW.

Is this now grounds for harassment?

We now have contacted a solicitor to help but have heard nothing as yet - so any advice from here most welcome.

Thanks

D

Have you applied for the CCJ set aside yet?

I would ring OFT as this debt is genuinely n dispute, they are aware of this, and yet continue to pres for payment. IMO, yes, it's harrassment.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Have you applied for the CCJ set aside yet?

I would ring OFT as this debt is genuinely n dispute, they are aware of this, and yet continue to pres for payment. IMO, yes, it's harrassment.

we're working on getting the CCj set aside yes - one of the things we're getting the solicitor to do. Thanks for the OFT tip.

cheers!

and so it continues...

We now get yet another letter from BCW stating Aktiv as their client yet now also stating that the creditor is "Arcadia DEBANHAMSSTORECARD".

This is the first we have heard of Arcadia. The creditor we have the signed agreement with is GE Capital - so surely they should be listed as the creditor or a deed of assignment given showing someone else.

GE Capital run store cards etc for Arcadia (Burtons, topshop etc)

My store card for burtons is for them.

Hope this helps

Matt

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton.

Advice offered by MattyH is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt. Please research any information I have offered, as I will not be held liable for any incorrect advice i've given you.

<--------- If my advice has helped, please tip my scales. 8)

For Further advice come into the Chat Room: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/chat/flashchat.php

FAQ's : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Step By Step Instructions ; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

GE Capital run store cards etc for Arcadia (Burtons, topshop etc)

My store card for burtons is for them.

Hope this helps

Matt

cheers - yes it is GE Capital that we have the credit agreement with - not Arcadia (even though it is Debenhams card) - it is just strange to us how after 9 letters from BCW they are changing who they claim the creditor to be.

Letters 1-8, Aktiv as client and creditor

Letter 9 - Aktiv as client and Arcadia as creditor

It is the inconsistency and total disregard to our attempts to resolve this that cast doubt on the validity of their claims.

cheers!