MBNA SAR Request

Stagparty
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I recently wrote to MBNA using the standard letter on here requesting a SAR and enclosing a £10 postal order. They have replied saying that although they send statements to my address they want positive ID including a signature. I'm obviously wary of supplying a signature to them, can anyone suggest how to proceed?

Thanks in anticipation

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They never give up do they!

Yes they seem to be able to get away with asking for ID, (quoting Data Protection of course), but their is no requirement for you to give them your sig.

Suggest you photocopy ID to send them and if it has your sig - blank it out.

David

The ICO has confirmed (i understand) to others here that in a case where the creditor has been writing to you by name.. using your address, quoting an account number and even demanding payments.. then they know FULL WELL who you are and it is unreasonable of them to suggest that all of a sudden they have doubts about your identity.

Certainly, if you haven't had any communication from them for a long while (months/years) they have a duty to ascertain your ID but these attempts are usually just a method to get hold of your signature and/or further information about you.

Their reply is seen mostly as a frivolous attempt at avoiding giving you information you are entitled to. Therefore write back and inform them that, under the above circumstances, their request is unwarranted and your request for information stands. If they fail to agree, make a formal complaint to the ICO and enclose previous correspondence showing that MBNA know exactly who they have been communicating with.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

Hi Stagparty, for some reason this keeps happening to me (hmm, think I need to read the dummies guide again). If you go to search at the top and type in MBNA debt bought by Link - don't know what to do - can anyone help please? It should bring it up for you.

Not sure what to do about the SAR thing, I will keep looking for the letter cos I know I saw it here somewhere. If not, I’ll try and put something together along the lines of davey77’s advice.

What are you going to do?

I'll have a look for the letter too, if you find it before me would you please be good enough to either post a link here or send me a PM?

I'd much rather be able to quote chapter and verse at them so they can't wriggle too much - prefer to see them squirm :D

Also if anyone else can point us in the right direction there are at least 2 CAGGERS who will be grateful to you.

i know the rule is never speak on the phone, but could you not ring em, complete the security questions (which they calss as ID'ing you) and confirm you have made the request.that way you have no issue with sending a signature? just a thought....

Hi,

How about putting your own signature box on the letter and signing over it to prevent copying. I'd still put XX through it too as 42man says and of course it wouldn't stop a creative hand forger! How about handwriting your full name or changing it from your normal sig in a unique way, then scan a copy of the letter before you send it. Geeez we wouldn't be so paranoid if we didn't know what dirty tricks people get up to!!

Knocked this signature strip up in photoshop (help yourselves :) ):

sigstrip.jpg

Sorry SP, have been looking for the letter but without luck. But I did happen across more template letters and it looks like the SAR I sent was incorrect (what a twit), so have sent the one that I found (by 42man) much more info requested on it than the previous one I sent and I signed it with crosses through. I’m sure that a signature done like that will be ok and ‘unliftable’.

Thanks for your help Davey, has anyone else had a similar response from MNBA? And if so, did they capitulate and provide the information requested?

Hi Stagparty

Yes, had the same problem they asked for a copy of my pastport or driving licence for ID.

I replied i've not got either a pastport or driving licence.

If you write back saying the above, your get a letter please contact them by phone which i did in the end. It's only a couple of security questions you answer and that's about it.

Gaz

Gazza

Thanks for that - it looks as if I got an identical letter to you. I was thinking of replying along the lines that neither are available, certainly not to be sent through the post, and that they had been happily communicating with me by letter about none SAR related matters. I was also going to offer to send them a private message on their website. As you've managed to get them to accept details over the phone I might just call them myself. Once again thanks for your help.

if you reply by phone (and i wouldnt anyway) make sure you 141 the call so they don't get your number

also if they dont know who you are how do they know who you are on the phone

personally i would reply and be straight with them

quote the advise straight from post 4 above and tell them that they have been writing to you at that address and disclosing sensitive information for a long time without requiring identity or signature and that you beleive that the real purpose in now asking for this information is an attempt to thwart your request.

tell them simply that your signature will be "crossed" on your letter for security purposes

start off as you mean to go on and let them know that you are not going to play their games or sing to their tune

Dear Sirs,

RE Account NO XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/2009 in which you say that you will not comply with my request dated xxx under s.78(1) of the `Consumer Credit Act 1974 unless I provide you with a signature.

There is no requirement under the Act that require a s.78(1) request to be accompanied by a signature, and I am unable to accede to your request.

Further, I note that you have sent statements and correspondence containing sensitive private information to me at same address as that detailed in my s.78(1) request. If you are concerned that you are corresponding with the correct person I wonder why you have not verified the information before.

As you are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998. The time to confirm my identity was before you sent your first threat letter.

My request for a true copy of my credit agreement under section 78(1) was made on xx/xx/2009 and the 12 working days for your compliance expire on xx/xx/2009. I note that there is no provision that removes the requirements of the act to provide this information on time, even if you are unsure of my identity.

Please now comply with your legal obligation without further delay.

adapt CAA for SAR and put in the other sentances suggested

MBNA sold my debt to Cabot 10yrs ago, but thought i would send SAR to see what they had. They requested ID so had my son knock me up a near identical drivers licence with fake sig, just in case, and it was sufficient for them.

2 letters confirming no CCA available, bits n bobs of data, but the surprise was that after 10yrs they still had my details on file.

I then asked them to remove data, but they have replied stating that I signed agreement giving my permission to process data (no CCA available remember) and so they are allowed. I contacted ICO and they informed me that as there is no specific date line for holding data it is up to each co to determine "reasonable time"!! In effect forever.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

Based on the comments by Diddy how would something like this suffice?

Dear Sirs

Re:STAGPARTY

I refer to your letter of x and must confess I am surprised to note you have returned both my letter and postal order and decided you need "positive proof" of my identity. Whilst I must applaud your apparent desire to safeguard my identity I must enquire why you choose to do it now rather than, for example, you passed my details to RMA in order for them to attempt to harrass me or when you wrote to me regarding the budget form I sent you? If I were being cynical I would be forced to conclude that letter is merely an attempt thwart or delay my request.

There is no requirement in the Data Pretection Act for me to provide my signature, I am though happy to enclose a recent utility bill as further evidence of my address.

I have also enclosed the original letter outlining my request together with the £10 postal order and look forward to you now complying with the requirements of the Data Protection Act without further delay. Should you choose not to comply with my lawful request I will have little option but to report the matter to the Information Commissioner.

Luv n hugs

SP

LOL Diddy, I know you said to adapt it but I didn't quite know how - I'm still new to all this and finding it all quite bemusing. Does my proposed reply look ok? Thanks for your help - it IS appreciated!