• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help! - AMEX No CCA and they've started court action. **DISCONTINUED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been browsing the site for many months and it has allowed me to fight a few battles with a couple of card companies. Battles won but not yet the war!

So to my post and another battle that is hotting up.

I CCA'd Brachers regards a debt they are dealing with for AMEX. They returned two application forms and the covering letter said they where enclosing the information I had requested. The T&C's were missing and certainly no sign of any agreement.

I was waiting for the 30 days to expire then was ready to send the next letter regards compliance. Instead of me writing to them they have written to me via Maidstone Court :eek:

They are looking to take me for £8K of which around £1K is their referal fee.

So my questions:

Is my defence simply a lack of agreement?

Referal fee excessive and not within guidelines.

The figure also includes unlawful charges.

How do I transfer this to my local court? I know Maidstone is a wonderful place but its not too convenient for me to get to.

I need to bounce this paperwork back to the court by next Friday 16th. To get the time for response extended to 28 days.

Your advice please fellow CAG'ers

CP

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi 42man & creditcardmug,

This is a credit card and is quoted as such in the claim. I was until Feb 2008 paying £10 per month until they failed to produce a CCA.

I will scan the paperwork once my replacement scanner arrives but for now here are the deatils of the claim. Copied word for word.

The particulars of Claim:

Money due for Creditcard services supplied (account number) to and at the Defendant's request as detailed in monthly statements rendered culminating 25 May 2007

Sum due at 25 May 2007

Add file referral charge 1160.60

Less credit 81.00

Statutory Interest from

25 May 2007 to date at 8% per annum 336 x 1.84 per day currently 616.20

Add subsequent debits 0.00

The Claimant claims 8949.54

Plus continuing Statutory Interest at 1.84 per day until Judgement or sooner payment to section 69 of the County

Thats how the claim ends on 'County'

Amount claimed including court fee and solicitor's costs 9239.54

Hope this helps

CP

When you file your defence it should get automatically transfered to your local court

Remember you only have 14 days to acknowledge service.

You need to send claimant a request for info under the CPR asap, this will help with preparing your defence (if they bother to comply, most don't).

Otherwise you will have to file a holding defence based on vague particulars of claim/no reply to CPR.

Did they send you a Default Notice if so scan this up as well

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Get this off to the claimant ASAP - send via SD

In the XXXX County Court

Claimant -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

Dear XXX

PART 18 REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I have received a recent court claim from your organisation. In order to file a defence and counter claim I require some information. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

The information must be furnished within fourteen days of the receipt of this letter. If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened.

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

b. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with *********.(AMEND TO THE COMPANY NAME)

c. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

d.Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

e. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

f. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

g. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

h. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

i. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

I will require this information within the next fourteen days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX (type, don't sign).

If they are the OC then you can remove the bits that don't apply

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Thanks GH

I'd found a similar request elswhere on this site. Its been sent and I'll just wait and see if they respond.

I will post their recent letters asap. Having scanner problems at the moment. Typical if it can go wrong it will at the worst possible time.

In the meantime is there anything else I should be looking to do regards my defence?

CP

You need a very clear timeline of the account and very clear for the recent activity.

Include when opened, major events default notice(s) etc.

You need to scan recent docs from them, any default notice(s) and the claim form.

The defence, if they fail to send anything in response to the CCA request, is actually quite straightforward so don't worry.

Once all the info is in the thread you'll be given/helped with a defence to modify to suit your exact situation. (hence why all the info is needed)

Hunt down some recent defences, there have been a few recent success stories with similar situations. The defences on there will give you a very good idea of what is to come :)

Good luck

gh

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Hi Again,

Scanner now fixed so here I go...

Advice required to build my defence.

AMEX card account opened 1997

Account upgraded from Greencard to Goldcard 2002

Account passed to RMA in March 2006.

Account passed to AIC October 2006.

Account passed to Brachers June 2007. They sent a letter including the balance and collection costs and a copy of terms and conditions from 2003! No signatures names or address etc.

During this time I was paying token amount each month.

February 2008 ask Brachers to prove they have CCA and associated paperwork and therefore rights.

Response and forms here:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/CunningPlan2008/App1.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/CunningPlan2008/App2.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/CunningPlan2008/App3.jpg

So account in dispute but they then send this.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/CunningPlan2008/Arr1.jpg

I'm waiting for the 12+2+30 days to expire. Then I will to send off the template letter to smack their wrists.

BUT instead they jump the gun with this:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/CunningPlan2008/Arr2.jpg

Then the court papers arrive. As previously quoted:

The particulars of Claim:

Money due for Creditcard services supplied (account number) to and at the Defendant's request as detailed in monthly statements rendered culminating 25 May 2007

Sum due at 25 May 2007

Add file referral charge 1160.60

Less credit 81.00

Statutory Interest from

25 May 2007 to date at 8% per annum 336 x 1.84 per day currently 616.20

Add subsequent debits 0.00

The Claimant claims 8949.54

Plus continuing Statutory Interest at 1.84 per day until Judgement or sooner payment to section 69 of the County

Thats how the claim ends on 'County'

Amount claimed including court fee and solicitor's costs 9239.54

The less credit figure (£80) is the £10 per month paid since Brachers took over the file. The £1 is, I'm guessing, my payment for the CCA request that they have tagged onto the credit column grand total £81

Your advice please and do you need anymore information.

CP

Have you ever received a Default Notice?

Hi GH,

Certainly not had a default notice in the last 12 months. I can't remember ever getting one before that either. I'll have to delve into my files to see if I'm mistaken. Will get back to you on this one.

How important a piece of paper is a default notice in this case?

CP

well, without a compliant default notice issued to you they are not allowed to terminate the account or demand payment or seek enforcement

so you could say it was sort of important ;)

Hi again,

I have checked through my paperwork and can only find a 'Notice of Cancellation' from AMEX. The account was then passed to AIC.

I sent my CPR request to AMEX, copy to Brachers, and today have received a letter from AMEX asking me to fill in a form and send ID to comply with my Subject Access Request under Data Protection and £10 payment.

Am I correct in thinking they are mistaken and delaying here? Under CPR don't they have to supply what I have requested?

CP

Yes, you are correct and they are frustrating your attempts to compile a proper defence and this will be brought to the attention of the Judge.

You could write back and inform them that you are not making a SAR, but a CPR Part18 request for further information

Quick Update:

I sent a second letter asking for the information under Civil Procedure Rules to AMEX on Thursday, also pointing out the error in their first reply.

Nothing back as yet (Monday) so perhaps now the penny has dropped with them that I'm serious about this.

Meanwhile on Saturday a letter from Brachers saying thanks for the request to them and as I've asked AMEX already for the info they have forwarded the necessary information and documentation to our client (AMEX), and they shall be in contact with me directly.

The letter ends 'we can confirm we have placed our file in abeyance for a temporary period of 10 days from the date of this letter'

Which, to me, seems a pointless thing to write as court proceedings are under way. So what are they 'holding' ?

Will sit tight for the next few days, see what appears from AMEX. Then will update the thread and ask for assistance for my defence.

CP

Edited by Cunning Plan

Hi Nicklea,

Thanks for the advice I'm certainly not going to miss the deadline. I'm waiting until Friday to see if they send any of the information requested. Depending on what happens I'll then start compiling my defence . That will give me four days before I need to send it off.

CP

Hi Again,

An update:

Nothing at all from AMEX, but today received another letter from Brachers.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/CunningPlan2008/amex006.jpg

Note that Brachers obviously didn't read the copy I sent them of my CPR request to AMEX. It appears AMEX have told them what I was asking for.

Can anyone explain the last two paragraphs?

Phrases like 'forward to you as soon as possible'

Surely under CPR's they should be with me within 12 days of my request?

'Any further documentation or information you require shall be provided at the appropriate point during proceedings, if the court makes an Order for disclosure'

Again shouldn't this be sent within the 12 days?

Advice and comments please.

CP

No it doesn't have to be within 12 days. You can request it, but they can also come back and say they need more time or that it isn't reasonably necessary to prepare your case, or it's too expensive to get etc etc.

If they don't provide anything by the date you need it you'll need to put in a holding defence that basically says they haven't replied to your cpr 18 request and requesting that they do comply and you will provide a fuller defence after that date. See posts by pt2537 - he's really good at his job (or is it a hobby at the moment? - or perhaps a vocation)

Hi Nicklea,

Thanks for the response. I've read a number of posts by pt2537 and others and they have given me confidence to fight my corner on this one.

I'll wait it out until this weekend to see if AMEX respond directly. So far they haven't done a thing. It's just been Brachers firing the bullets for them. Their aim has been somewhat off though. It's clear from their letter today they didn't read my earlier correspondence. So I'll let them keep digging a hole for themselves.

CP

Hi Horw,

This thread is very much alive. I'm counting down the days before I write my defence. Deadline is 2nd June. I'm waiting for information from AMEX under the Civil Procedure Rules. If it arrives before the deadline my defence will need to be modified accordingly.

CP

It all seems very complicated, did you find it hard to follow all the rules etc, I am going to do my claim on line after I send a letter to HFO for their info.(I cant even remember all the letter names etc so its a bit daunting)

Hi Horw,

I suggest you start your own thread. Then post as much information as you have, leaving out personal details. These companies rely on people not seeking advice and getting judgements by defualt.

You've come to the right place and anything you don't understand just add this to your post.

Good Luck.

CP