My two Barclays accounts

championless
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey everyone

I have two bank accounts with Barclays. One is a student account, which at the time had an overdraft limit of £1600. I received some charges for going overdrawn, etc. I couldn’t afford to pay the overdraft off, so I used another account I had with Barclays. After some time, Barclays insisted that I pay off the overdraft immediately. I could not afford this, as I could only afford to pay £35 per month. They insisted I open a loan account with them which would pay off my overdraft and then I would pay off the loan each month. I told them that I could afford to pay £35 and they told me that it would take something like nine years to pay it off. The interest seemed really high, but I figured that I didn’t have much choice in the matter. I have been paying £35 per month for the past two years. Is there anything I can do about claiming the charges back and possibly do something about the loan, as it sounds quite unfair?

Now the other account, I have used this for the past four years and have been charged on a few occasions for going overdrawn, getting a direct debit returned, etc. Is there anything I can do to get these charges back as well?

Thanks

Championless

Send in your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) for Both accounts and go from there, you can combine both accounts into one claim

Can i claim the interest back on the loan they forced me to take out? I think that sounds like a bit of a long shot, but it's worth a shot isn't it?

Hi

I am in a similar situation - I have two accounts and one closed business account. But on one of the current accounts they also made me take a reserve loan account which I have been paying for 18 months and like you the interest is extortionate but it was either that or close my account down. I have tried negotiating with them but all they are willing to do is let me pay off the balance in one lump sum, so 4 more years to go!! Let me know if you get anywhere better than me :-(

It's annoying isn't it? Surely there is something that can be done when you're forced into taking out a loan to pay this off. Surely this is just as unfair as bank charges for unpaid direct debits, etc...

To make you take more credit out to pay for a debit is against the guidelines laid down by the OFT and unlawful under the Administration of justice act. Personaly,if I had the paperwork to prove that it was either take out this loan or we will close the account, I would be seeking legal about being a victim of extortion.

Championless - I too have the paperwork for the resolve loan but am not sure whether I had anything in writing as to the fact that they would close my account down if I didn't take out the loan - I will check when I get home and let you know.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No idea but a quick search shows that rawhidedi vbmenu_register("postmenu_795090", true); also has a Resolve Loan and may be able to give you some guidance based on what they're doing ;)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41